The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lol I see that no-one else has gone with the score I predicted Maybe someone else might win this time :p:
Rafa
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Lol I see that no-one else has gone with the score I predicted Maybe someone else might win this time :p:
Lol, yeh i hope so, you've been class!..im glad you missed the first two :p:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
United win 3-0
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
4-1 utd
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Its cos your not playing relegation fodder anymore.
Though I would expect that to come from you, I daresay you're right. Still, at least we've beaten everything. I shall try and avoid snide comments about Sheffield United... oh crap.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll have a 2-0 to the Reds.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Though I would expect that to come from you, I daresay you're right. Still, at least we've beaten everything. I shall try and avoid snide comments about Sheffield United... oh crap.
Rafa
All Prediction Noted So Far, Please Refer to The First Post For Predictions and Prediction Table, Thank you
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Put a prediction in one of my posts about 2 days ago, so it'll be a few pages back now, can't quite recall what it was, something like 4-1 United.

Still not happy bout Big Lily not officially being allowed in, although she is now confirmend as being there for the Cpenhagen game (unless the club change there minds last minute again). Having said that, don't be surprised if she does still make it to tomorrow's game...
apple tree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
3-1, Giggs the star of the show.
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
3-1 United
Shady05
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Man U 3-1 Celtic
Rafa
(Original post by apple tree)
3-1, Giggs the star of the show.
You'll haveto join our society mate to predict
SOUNDBWOY
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
2-0 to the devils. Saha to score first.
mancred
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
utd 4-0
Rafa
GIGGS GOES ON AND ON TO KEEP UNITED AT THE HEART OF THE BIG PICTURE

WHEN I was a child, my mum didn’t allow posters on the wall. This had more to do with Blu- Tac tearing the wallpaper than her shielding me from the heathen influences of drug- taking rock bands.

One of the first things I did when I was a student and living in my own digs was to put up a poster of Ryan Giggs. It was a half-hearted attempt at rebellion because it was behind glass and in a gold frame, bought for about £10 at a local market.

He was wearing the red of Manchester United, so I pretended that it was the red of Wales, and he looked dark and swarthy and there was a Mona Lisa quality to the picture — wherever I was in my room he appeared to be looking at me. One night my room was broken into and the picture was about the only thing left behind. The police put this down to the fact that the criminal came from an estate dominated by Newcastle United fans and it would be more than their life was worth to come home with Giggs in their booty bag.

It seems a lifetime ago that I attended lectures, ate Pot Noodles and watched Richard and Judy for half the morning, but apparently, while everything in the big wide world has changed and the world of football has been reinvented three times over, everything has actually stayed exactly the same.

Sir Alex Ferguson wins Manager of the Month and Giggs was his star man. United sit top of the Premiership and the talk is that it is “definitely”, “positively”, “certainly” Ferguson’s last campaign. Haven’t we been here before? I cannot get my head round that picture. It is 13 years since it hung on the wall and still the man runs like a gazelle and causes problems for defenders almost half his age. Still he listens to the manager’s angry Glaswegian tones during the half-time team talk and still it goes in and he obeys the orders, knowing that the hairdryer may come out at any moment. Still he packs himself off to Wales and he does his best, knowing that he would have more caps than David Beckham if he had picked the country in which he went to school.

He is a father now and has settled down, having passed on the tabloid obsession with his love life to those queueing up to take the baton. In an age when attention spans in footballers seem to be getting shorter, Giggs has shown remarkable staying power. He has never got bored of the manager, the city, the fans and the adoration. Then again, how could you be bored of a week such as this : Celtic this evening and Arsenal in four days’ time, and somehow he is going to be at the heart of those matches.

The right blend of wisdom and reinvention seems to be the key to longevity. For Ferguson this has always involved creating a new nemesis and in his Machiavellian way he has made sure that there is always an enemy to compete with and get angry with. Giggs has adapted his game, managed to push himself up the pitch, move away from the wing and as he has matured as a man, he has become an elder statesman of his beloved club.

For the third member of the Stalwarts Club, Gary Neville, there is the added responsibility that comes with being captain. Neville would love to lead United to league or European glory on his watch. Somewhere in a summer that lacked inspiration for most England football fans, these three have managed to breathe new life into their game and found the joy that propelled them at the start of this journey.

Sportsmen regularly talk of “second season syndrome”; it is pretty much what it says on the tin. Young buck comes along and flies in his first season, catches everyone out, makes even the most cynical sit up and take notice and then the second season starts and they have his number, they know his moves and it is harder and he makes it look harder.

Expectation is great and so it should be. Why shouldn’t you deliver what you promised? Some manage it. They pick themselves up and learn all over again and they go on and on season after season. The rest never get it back and they sink out of the team, down the leagues and eventually out of the sport until they are nothing but a trivia question in a quiz night. It can happen to teams as well as individuals. Chelsea came through a second season with credit; it was tougher but they did it.

Sometimes we forget how hard it is to remain great, to stay at the top of your game and keep beating off the pretenders because it is what is expected, and if you don’t deliver, your hero status dissipates. Which makes United’s start this season all the more impressive. It has the energy and enthusiasm of youth and inexperience, some of which comes from players who are just that. But credit to the players who are that bit older, wiser and longer in the tooth for allowing themselves to believe again.
Rafa
FERGUSON IN SEARCH OF THE ROAD TO REDEMPTION

IT SEEMS as if it is an eternity since Manchester United were eliminated from the Champions League last season after finishing bottom of their group, but for Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, and his players, the humiliation of ten months ago lingers.

Whether that alone is enough to drive them to success this season is one of the great imponderables, but as Ferguson himself said yesterday, desire and expectation have again given way to apprehension, in much the same way as they did in the years before United lifted their first European Cup under his governance in 1999.

That unforgettable evening in Barcelona, when a last-gasp 2-1 victory over Bayern Munich ended United’s 31-year wait to reclaim European club football’s most prized trophy, was the culmination of five seasons’ labour in the Champions League for Ferguson.

Some had begun to wonder before then whether he would ever clamp his mitts around those two giant handles, and as the manager prepares to welcome Celtic to Old Trafford tonight — what, as a boyhood Rangers fan and former player, he might term Glasgow’s other team — it seems fair to ask whether the greatest British manager of his generation will experience the ecstasy of that night in the Nou Camp again.

Seven European campaigns have passed, each, by and large, with dwindling fortunes, since United secured that historic treble of Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League, and with demanding new owners in the Glazer family and only a 12-month rolling contract to cling to, Ferguson knows that, as he enters his twentieth year in charge at Old Trafford, time is of the essence.

“I think that we’ve gone beyond that desire, I think there’s a bit of apprehension about it all again and I think it’s good to have that — when you have to do well,” Ferguson said. “When you get these inner feelings about the desire and the need to do well I feel better that way.

“If you look at our European campaign last year it’s best written off by us. We didn’t get to a level of performance and that was a lot down to the fact that we didn’t score goals. Hopefully that’s behind us and the players are eager to ensure that is forgotten.

“Experiences are great even when you lose if you have young players who want to learn from that. All the players know themselves that they are better than what they showed last year.”

What is certain is that, after underestimating the challenge presented by the likes of Lille, Benfica and Villarreal last season, neither Ferguson nor his players will be taking the threat posed by Celtic lightly, even if the manager’s claim that “we won’t let the fans down this year” echoed his defiant declaration before the cataclysmic 2-1 defeat by Benfica in Lisbon last December that “we’ll get through, don’t worry about that”.

“We are going to have to work really hard to achieve anything against Celtic and it also requires Manchester United to be on the top of their game,” he said. “I look back to situations like last season when we got the draw with Lille and Benfica and were saying to ourselves ‘Benfica are going through a bad time, and we have a great chance to qualify’, but we never scored a goal against Lille. That is very much on my mind, it doesn’ t matter how I or anyone else looks upon Celtic.”

The return of Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes from suspension will help in the so-called “Battle of Britain”, and both will start, providing the latter shakes off a knock suffered in training on Sunday, while Ferguson has every confidence that Louis Saha can take up the mantle left by the departed Ruud van Nistelrooy. “He’s as good as anything,” Ferguson cooed.

Of course, there is always someone hoping to spoil United’s plans, but while Gordon Strachan dismissed talk of a feud with Ferguson — strange given that both dedicate time in their autobiographies to criticise each other — the Celtic manager can scarcely have wanted to win a game more.

“What we are doing is representing Scottish football,” Strachan said. “Scottish football through Walter Smith and his backroom staff and players has had a wee turnaround in the last few months and we hope to continue that good work they have started.”

Ferguson, nonetheless, will be rooting for England, perhaps like never before.

KEY CLASH

MICHAEL CARRICK v THOMAS GRAVESEN

The most intriguing battle of the night could be between the man long billed as Roy Keane’s replacement and the man who actually filled the former United captain’s No 16 shirt. A dominant performance against the combative Gravesen would go a long way to helping Carrick to justify his £18.6 million price tag, while the Dane will want to convince that he can cut it at the highest level after a largely forgettable spell at Real Madrid

NEED TO KNOW

# This is the first competitive meeting between United and Celtic, although Sir Alex Ferguson has presided over nine testimonials against the Bank of Scotland Premier League club during almost 20 years at Old Trafford, the latest being Roy Keane’s testimonial in May, which United won 1-0
# Wayne Rooney and Thomas Gravesen were team-mates at Everton, and it was from the Denmark midfield player’s pass that the England striker scored his first senior goal, against Arsenal in October 2002.
# Since scoring a hat-trick on his Champions League debut against Fenerbahçe in September 2004, Rooney has not scored in nine subsequent appearances in the competition proper
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
# Since scoring a hat-trick on his Champions League debut against Fenerbahçe in September 2004, Rooney has not scored in nine subsequent appearances in the competition proper
Only a matter of time :p:

Good article about Giggs though, very true
Charl
Report 12 years ago
Whole society for Manchester United!! Jeez. :rolleyes: :p:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Only a matter of time :p:

Good article about Giggs though, very true
Id give it about 8 hours
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed