The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not calling this game. Rather not be a jinx, and just enjoy the show.
Rafa
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
FLETCHER IGNORES CRITICISM

Darren Fletcher has shrugged off the critics who condemned him last term, insisting taking flak is all part of being a Manchester United player.

The Scotland international bore the brunt of fans' anger last term when results started to go against the Old Trafford.

Forgetting the youngster's tender years, supporters targeted Fletcher rather than looking for failing in others whose reputation promised more than it actually delivered.

Sir Alex Ferguson was forced to defend the Edinburgh-born midfielder on more than one occasion, even if he also admitted Fletcher suffered a mid-season blip which coincided with United's miserable early elimination from the Champions League.

Just as Ferguson suggested though, Fletcher appears to have matured over the summer and while the 22-year-old cannot be yet regarded as an integral part of United's first-choice line-up, his four appearances so far this term have all been effective, including Wednesday night's effort against Celtic.

"Taking criticism is part and parcel of football," he said. "What you have to try to do is focus on your own game and improve.

"As a player, every season is important at this club. If players stand still, so does the team. And Manchester United does not stand still.

"I know there will be times when I do play, and others when I don't.

"All I can do is try my best and hope to impress the manager."

With Cristiano Ronaldo back from suspension, Fletcher might find himself back on the bench for Sunday's tussle with Arsenal.

United do have problems in other areas though, with both Ryan Giggs and Park Ji-Sung ruled out, while Wayne Rooney appeared to be limping when he was substituted late on against the Scottish champions.

The victory over Celtic extended United's winning sequence to five, a welcome riposte to the doom merchants who had predicted the Red Devils would have a terrible campaign.

Fletcher revealed the seeds of his club's encouraging start were sewn at the back end of last term, as United unsuccessfully tried to keep pace with Chelsea.

"The manager kept stressing the importance of finishing second to avoid having to play in the Champions League qualifiers," he said.

"Once we achieved that, it was important to kick on at the start of this season.

"We have not begun in the manner we wanted to over the past few years. Thankfully we have managed to start well this time and hopefully we can maintain that form against Arsenal on Sunday."
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Rooney limping? Come on Wayne, don't do this lol.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hope it's a smokescreen, like Thierry Henry's foot problem in midweek.
Rafa
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Rooney limping? Come on Wayne, don't do this lol.
Fergie said he'll be ok!
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
Hope it's a smokescreen, like Thierry Henry's foot problem in midweek.
You think he'll play against us then Juwel?
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To be honest, Henry is looking crap this season and is one of the main parts of this "lets pass the ball all the way into the goal" so I'm quite hoping he starts (apart from his set-piece ability of course). If they play someone like Adebayor then he knows how to shoot from a bit further out and could probably cause us more problems.
Rafa
(Original post by olliemccowan)
To be honest, Henry is looking crap this season and is one of the main parts of this "lets pass the ball all the way into the goal" so I'm quite hoping he starts (apart from his set-piece ability of course). If they play someone like Adebayor then he knows how to shoot from a bit further out and could probably cause us more problems.
I dont really remember Henry causing us problems at Old Trafford for a long time now, i could be wrong!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And it's all thanks to Gary Neville, keeping out the best wingers in the world for a decade now. Seriously, thanks to Henry's knack of drifting left, and until recently Robert Pires' ineffectiveness in these games, Neville has been doing the business against Henry.

I bet he plays. And Ollie, I'd be happier to see him on the bench, just as any team would. I know we say he bottles it against the big clubs but his scoring record against us, Chelsea and Liverpool isn't that awful.

And Rafael's in his element with all this recent Manchester United coverage, I've never seen so much copy-and-pasting!
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
And it's all thanks to Gary Neville, keeping out the best wingers in the world for a decade now. Seriously, thanks to Henry's knack of drifting left, and until recently Robert Pires' ineffectiveness in these games, Neville has been doing the business against Henry.

I bet he plays. And Ollie, I'd be happier to see him on the bench, just as any team would. I know we say he bottles it against the big clubs but his scoring record against us, Chelsea and Liverpool isn't that awful.

And Rafael's in his element with all this recent Manchester United coverage, I've never seen so much copy-and-pasting!
Im only doing it for you guys
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lawl, we love it Raff.
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
Lawl, we love it Raff.
Rafa
The crowd at Old Trafford was amazing against Celtic, the atmoshpere was brilliant, its a shame we cant get those atmospheres at mid-day kick-offs on Saturdays and Sundays.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's true, it's quite stale in the weekend. And I think this coincides with the fact that we don't usually sell out our Champions League group fixtures. It's not the noisiest and diehardest (?) of fans that make it in to the weekend games.

Do we kick off on midday on Sunday? Crud. No one's awake for that, I wouldn't blame them for being quiet.
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
It's true, it's quite stale in the weekend. And I think this coincides with the fact that we don't usually sell out our Champions League group fixtures. It's not the noisiest and diehardest (?) of fans that make it in to the weekend games.

Do we kick off on midday on Sunday? Crud. No one's awake for that, I wouldn't blame them for being quiet.
No its a 4:00pm kick off, Chelsea v Liverpool get the 1:30pm kick off....
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
I'm not calling this game. Rather not be a jinx, and just enjoy the show.
Your not gonna predict?:eek:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh rawk, we're the "Super Sunday" show. Bring on the pizzas.

You have to wonder why there was a food such as pizza being served to professional athletes.

And no I'm just not calling it. Besides I get this fixture badly wrong all the time.

I remember the game we won at Highbury 4-2 recently. And I can't help thinking how happy I am that Dennis Bergkamp isn't playing this game. And then how sad I am that he isn't playing any game.
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
Oh rawk, we're the "Super Sunday" show. Bring on the pizzas.

You have to wonder why there was a food such as pizza being served to professional athletes.

And no I'm just not calling it. Besides I get this fixture badly wrong all the time.

I remember the game we won at Highbury 4-2 recently. And I can't help thinking how happy I am that Dennis Bergkamp isn't playing this game. And then how sad I am that he isn't playing any game.
Class game that, was the one where Vieira squared up to Gaz right?
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
I remember the game we won at Highbury 4-2 recently.
That's the game I mentionned a couple of pages back where we played the 4-3-3, which is why I think it could work on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the game, despite the fact I'm driving up from Cambridge for it as it's my mates wedding tomorrow

It's a big Sunday with regards to the 'top' teams with Chelsea playing Liverpool. Can't decide wether I want a draw in that one, or a 'pile win :confused: Won't matter so much if we win tho...
Rafa
(Original post by BexTait)
That's the game I mentionned a couple of pages back where we played the 4-3-3, which is why I think it could work on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the game, despite the fact I'm driving up from Cambridge for it as it's my mates wedding tomorrow

It's a big Sunday with regards to the 'top' teams with Chelsea playing Liverpool. Can't decide wether I want a draw in that one, or a 'pile win :confused: Won't matter so much if we win tho...
:ditto:, lets just worry about United and 3 points, the rest cant take care of itself
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.86%
No (177)
73.14%

Watched Threads