The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would join the society, I was only predicting to help people :p: Thats whats going to happen
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
Im finding it hard to read peoples predictions, i dont want the goal scorers, i just want one predction like this for example Man Utd 1 - 0 Chelsea thats it.

Thank you
Prediction only.
mc_watson87
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Reading 0 - 2 Man United

[ROOOOOOOONEY 4 both/lyf (IDEMT)]
Rafa
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by domisakin)
We're going to beat them, but i dont think we'll hammer 'em (like we were meant to do Arsenal )

On a slightly less serious note:

How do i go about applying for the Leeds job?
:p:
Rafa
(Original post by The_Bear)
I would join the society, I was only predicting to help people :p: Thats whats going to happen
Sorry mate
Rafa
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Prediction only.
Lol, for now
Rafa
RIO WARY OF ROYALS THREAT

Rio Ferdinand is expecting a tough test when Manchester United visit Reading this weekend.

The Red Devils face The Royals in The Premiership for the first time, with the game live on PremPlus on Saturday evening.

Reading have made an encouraging start to life in the top flight after winning three of their opening five top-flight fixtures.

Steve Coppell's men have also won both matches at The Madejski Stadium and United defender Ferdinand is aware of how dangerous The Royals could be.

"It will be a good occasion going down there to their place, their fans will be up for it," Ferdinand told Sky Sports News.

"I've seen them play a few times already this season and they look a very good team, and they are doing well in the league so far.

"We're expecting a tough game. If playing football means it suits them, then fantastic.

"I watched them last season when they were beating teams out of sight in that league quite comfortably and they've started very well this season.

"It will be a tough place to go for any team this year, going to Reading."

United travel to Berkshire looking to bounce back from a first defeat of the season at home to Arsenal last weekend.

After a perfect start to the campaign, United had been tipped to see off an injury-hit Gunners side, but Ferdinand insists that was never the mentality at Old Trafford.

He added: "If people were surprised by that result, so be it. A lot of people, not ourselves, around the game were probably a bit disrespectful to Arsenal.

"Maybe in some sense, they were speaking about the result as a won thing for Man Utd before the game had started just because the so-called big names weren't playing.

"I don't think it was a bad team they brought to Man Utd, they were a solid, quick team and proved that against us."
Rafa
COPPEL IS NO LONGER SCARED BY FERGUSON 'OGRE' MYTH

SIR Alex Ferguson can instil fear in the bravest of adversaries, but Steve Coppell sought yesterday to paint a softer picture of the Manchester United manager. With Coppell, the Reading manager, due to face Ferguson when United visit the Madejski Stadium in the Barclays Premiership tomorrow, it was perhaps a wise move.

“Alex is an active member of the League Managers Association and is always available at the end of a phone,” Coppell said. “Anyone can phone him up and he will give advice. He has that ethos of the union of the members of the organisation, from his Scottish roots, and any manager would love to spend time with him.

“The first time I called him, his reputation had gone before him and I was expecting some kind of ogre, but he was charm itself and couldn’t do enough to help. That has been the case every time. He has always been so polite and helpful.”

Coppell played for United for nine years and can still recall his first match vividly. “I remember running out at Old Trafford,” he said. “It was a real heart-in-the-mouth moment, an incredible experience for a 19-year-old.”

With three wins from their opening five matches, Reading appear to have adapted solidly to their first campaign in the top flight. Now comes the real test. “It’s a special game for me and I’ll be as intrigued as everyone to see how we stand up against United,” Coppell said. “But this game will not decide our Premiership future. The chances are that United will beat most teams.

“In a way, that could make us more carefree, it could give us a tendency to play our own game. If we go in just looking to respond, that’s all we’ll do. It’s our first game against one of the acknowledged big boys and we’ll see what happens. Then we can evaluate and redirect from there.”
CR45H
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Reading 1- 2 United
Rafa
DOYLE DESPERATE TO PLAY

Reading striker Kevin Doyle expects to be fit for the weekend visit of Manchester United.

The 22-year-old suffered a dead leg against Sheffield United and has been forced to sit out training sessions this week.

However, Doyle confirmed he will be ready in time to face Sir Alex Ferguson's men at The Madejski Stadium.

"Any Premiership game you want to play in," Doyle told Sky Sports News.

"A dead leg usually never puts you out of a game.

"It could have been a bit worse, but I'll be fine on Saturday."

If he plays, the Republic of Ireland international will come up against the club he has supported since his childhood.

Doyle, though, will be fully focused on Reading's cause on Saturday and admits The Royals face a difficult task.

He added: "Obviously (I want) Reading (to win).

"I'd like to see Manchester United win the league maybe, but not to win on Saturday.

"It would be nice for us to pick up three points but it won't be easy."
Rafa
READING V MAN UTD PREVIEW

Reading and Manchester United meet for the first time ever in the league live on PremPlus.

United's trip to The Madejski Stadium will provide Reading with their toughest test to date in The Premiership.

Reading boast a 100 percent record at home this season, while United will be determined to bounce back from last weekend's defeat at home to Arsenal.

Reading forward Kevin Doyle has been passed fit to face his boyhood heroes after recovering from a dead leg.

Dave Kitson, Sam Sodje and Aaron Brown are all still sidelined for Steve Coppell's men.

Marcus Hahnemann ,Graeme Murty, Ibrahima Sonko, Ivar Ingimarsson and Steve Sidwell are all set to be recalled after being rested for the midweek Carling Cup win over Darlington.

Manchester United are set to be boosted by the return of Edwin van der Sar after he missed the defeat to Arsenal through illness.

Mikael Silvestre is doubtful for United after he limped off against Arsenal with Patrice Evra standing by to replace him.

United are missing midfield duo Ryan Giggs and Park Ji-sung through injury meaning John O'Shea will again partner Paul Scholes in the engine room.

Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha will lead the attack for Sir Alex Ferguson's troops.

Skysports.com Prediction: 0 - 2
United to get back to winning ways.

Player to watch: Cristiano Ronaldo
Rafa
UNITED URGE PATEINCE ON ROONEY

Manchester United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz has insisted that Wayne Rooney will need time to regain his best form.

The 20-year-old striker has not managed to reach the standard many fans expect from him so far this season, but Queiroz has issued a reminder about how few games he has actually played over the last few months.

After breaking a metatarsal in April, Rooney won his race against time to be fit for England and play some part in the World Cup.

However, Rooney then had to serve a three-match suspension after a pre-season red card, and has therefore only managed to complete 90 minutes once this term as he battles back to full fitness.

"It is important to remind people that in six months he has played five or six games, and not complete ones," said Queiroz.

"So it is natural to expect this progression. In terms of preparation we cannot produce miracles.

"He needs to play to get back to his maximum form and that is what will happen in the next few weeks, for sure."

Queiroz also declared that he could understand Rooney's frustration at not being able to play a full part for United.

"Wayne is a player with a lot of ambition and a great desire," said the Portuguese tactician.

"He has a special winning mentality that every time he goes out, there is only one thing in his mind - that is to perform and win the game.

"If that doesn't happen he feels it like any other player, or sometimes he feels it even more."

Rooney is set to start against Reading on Saturday, and Queiroz believes it is vital for United to return to winning ways following the 1-0 home defeat to Arsenal.

"We need to rebound from that result and get ready to play according to our standards against Reading," he urged.

He is expecting a tricky game though, as Reading have started the season with consecutive victories at The Madejski Stadium.

"They have started the season in a fantastic way. I am not surprised if you check what they did last season when they got promotion.

"We expect a difficult game but I am sure it will be the first big test for Reading at home and if we get back to our normality I'm sure we will come back home with three points."
Rafa
RICHARDSON HAPPY TO FIGHT

Manchester United winger Kieran Richardson is happy to fight for his place at Old Trafford.

Richardson is currently part of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad rotation after featuring in their UEFA Champions League win over Celtic before missing out against Arsenal.

The former West Brom loanee knows places at United are fierce and is happy to stay fit and sharp for when Ferguson calls upon his services.

"The manager wants all his players sharp and on the ball, ready to play if needed," explained Richardson to the Manchester Evening News.

"I have to make sure I am ready, everyone does, because we want to win the league this season.

"Everyone has been training really well this season and the standard is very high every day.

"There is strong opposition for places, which is good for United and for me.

"At this club you have to fight for your place in the team. I believe in myself, so I just have to keep pushing on."
Rafa
FLETCHER HAPPY WITH START

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher is pleased with the start The Red Devils have made to the new season.

United began the campaign by winning their first four games before slipping up to Arsenal last time out.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side currently sit in second place in the table, level on points with champions Chelsea.

Fletcher admits his side must now ensure they stick with Jose Mourinho's men throughout the campaign.

The Scottish international knows how easily teams can fall away during a campaign and has urged his team-mates to make sure that does not happen.

"It is hard to play catch up," said Fletcher.

"As soon as you make a mistake you fall even further behind. That is why the real focus this year was to make a good start to the Premiership and keep ourselves in contention right from the off."

United's form has dipped over the last couple of weeks after an impressive start which saw them score ten goals in the first three games.

However, after a summer where doom and gloom merchants were hovering over Old Trafford, Fletcher is happy with the way things have gone.

"We were always confident about our form," said Fletcher.

"Manchester United have to be at the top of the league, we have to be challenging.

"There was a real confidence in the dressing room this summer because we know we have the ability to match Chelsea."
Rafa
SAHA NOT FEELING RUUD PRESSURE

French striker Louis Saha insists he does not feel under any extra pressure at Manchester United following the sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The prolific Dutchman ended a vastly successful spell at Old Trafford by joining Real Madrid after falling out with Sir Alex Ferguson, and Saha has now taken on the mantle of partnering Wayne Rooney for The Red Devils.

It is nothing new for the former Fulham man as it was his inclusion in the first team for the Carling Cup final last season that first caused a rift between Ferguson and the Dutchman, but with van Nistelrooy having departed for pastures new Saha is, for the first time, regarded as a established figure in the first XI.

His return so far this season has been four goals in six games, and Saha appears to be revelling in his new-found status under Ferguson.

However the French international insists he does not feel a burden of expectation weighing down upon him as United aim to supplant Chelsea as league champions.

"Ruud leaving has had no effect on me," said Saha.

"It has not changed the way I approach games. I still do all the same things.

"I work hard and do my best, as I always have.

"I don't think there is any extra pressure on me to score either because we have plenty of other players capable of doing that.

"I just need to keep taking my chances in order to keep my place."

After suffering a 1-0 defeat in their last game at home to Arsenal, Saha is keen that United return to winning ways when they visit Reading on Saturday, live on PremPlus.

"After last week's defeat, we are determined to bounce back," Saha added.

"We are still in a good position and we have definitely made a better start than we did last season.

"But now, everyone understands what we have to do. We must get back to winning ways again and try to ensure we maintain our form."
Rafa
READING V MAN UTD

Madejski Stadium
Saturday, 23 September
Kick-off: 1715 BST
Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live
& highlights on MOTD

Reading striker Kevin Doyle is fit to play after he suffered a dead leg.

That will be a huge boost to the Royals who are without Dave Kitson who has a knee problem, the same injury that is keeping defender Sam Sodje sidelined.

Gabriel Heinze is in the Manchester United squad for the first time this term, and it is good timing with Mikael Silvestre out with a twisted ankle.

Ryan Giggs (hamstring) and Park Ji-Sung (ankle) are also injured, but Alan Smith and Nemanja Vidic are available.

Reading (from): Hahnemann, Stack, Murty, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Shorey, Seol, Harper, Sidwell, Convey, Lita, Doyle, de la Cruz, Bikey, Mate, Halls, Gunnarsson, Little, Oster, Hunt, Long.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Ferdinand, Brown, Vidic, Heinze, Evra, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Richardson, Jones, Rooney, Saha, Smith, Solskjaer.
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mah prediction:

Man Utd 2 - 0 Reading

Although hopefully we will score more!!
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
2-1 to united.
Forté
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i honestly cannot see them scoring against us, in this life or the next...
Rafa
(Original post by domisakin)
i honestly cannot see them scoring against us, in this life or the next...
lol :rofl:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed