Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Come on man united, got 2-0 on man u saha first goalscorer..
    1 more goal please..And im around 50 quid richer

Me and Daveo got predictions right, feel free to rep us if you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))
    Me and Daveo got predictions right, feel free to rep us if you like
    pos or neg? hahahaahahahahah

i think i may just abstain :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))
    East London, you?
    Which borough? I'm from Hackney

Not really a good game, only after we scored it looked like we could play properly. We won anyway so its good.

ReputationRep:
    I was so relieved when half time came, I was sure we would concede first half were playing so badly. Great goal by saha though

ReputationRep:
    Nice goal Saha, but Rooney still needs to find his touch, and im happy to see Smith back in action

ReputationRep:
    Hola fellas, hola back [/*******isation of Spanish]

We were simply awful in the first half, I fully expected us to lose and lose embarassingly. Before the game the ITV "analysts" (talking out of their anal-ysts) were saying United would win comfortably against an average Benfica team. Do these people watch football? Anyway, we weren't much better in the second half, but at least after the goal we decided to try and play more than three passes in succession. Benfica after the goal were surprisingly and disappointingly limp. This was no great performance from us but the result is brilliant when you consider the group's state of play.

(Original post by AYE)
    Which borough? I'm from Hackney

Not really a good game, only after we scored it looked like we could play properly. We won anyway so its good.
    Startford

RONALDO THANKS FOR FERGIE

Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo has thanked Sir Alex Ferguson after Manchester United's 1-0 win against Benfica.

The 21-year-old trickster stood out on a difficult night for The Red Devils in Lisbon as they gained some revenge for last season's exit from the UEFA Champions League.

United now sit pretty at the top of Group F with six points out of six, but after all the speculation over the summer surrounding Ronaldo, he has expressed his gratitude for the unwavering belief and support shown him by the fiery Scot.

"We did not play as well as we are able to and the Benfica did everything to make it difficult for us, but after the break the team came out more composed and calm," Ronaldo explained.

"As regards to me, my form was fair. I play better with whistles.

"It is always nice to know that the coach is satisfied with our work. It makes me even more motivated to help this club.

"The problems of the past have long gone. I am very happy at this club and I want to stay here."

The youngster left the Estadio da Luz pitch with a finger gesture that earned him a one-match ban last season, but on Tuesday night he proved his growing maturity with a fine display under intense pressure.

He was constant torment to the Benfica defence and Ferguson has hailed his protégé, who lifted United to their first away win in Europe for almost three years.

"Cristiano has been fantastic all season," Ferguson enthused.

"He has taken a lot of criticism from the public but he has risen above it. He has not let it affect him and that shows great courage.

"He is showing a maturity which belies his age. He is only 21, but young players have to get through periods like this."

Ronaldo's treatment by away fans in England this season has been well documented, but the Benfica fans gave him an equally difficult time, for starting his career with arch-rivals Sporting Lisbon.

"Who he played for in the past has obviously had something to do with the reaction of the crowd tonight," Ferguson continued.

"But the next time he comes to Portugal to play for his country they will probably be kissing his feet."

Louis Saha's 60th minute strike proved the decisive factor on the night, and Ferguson has hailed the French international's impact on the team since taking over the responsibility for scoring from Ruud van Nistelrooy.

"Louis has everything," Ferguson added.

"He is quick and brave and gets so many assists.

"When he puts all parts of his game together he is an excellent player and now he is on a great goal-scoring run as well."

United face Copenhagen next in three weeks time and the Old Trafford tactician knows their opponents will have to come out to attack.

"Copenhagen need to win, so they will have to come out and play against us," he concluded.

"Benfica now have to play Celtic twice as well and while we do not know what will happen there we know we can put ourselves in a great position if we keep our concentration and defend properly."

With Newcastle United the visitors in the league on Sunday, United will be anxious to build on their latest victory.

ReputationRep:
    Bethnal Green! Until next year...

ReputationRep:
    Rooney completes 2 years without scoring in europe.

ReputationRep:
    Yay Wayne Rooney! :banana::banana::party:;banana2;

ReputationRep:
    good win for us although we were very poor in the first half, we need to play rooney in the hole really or straight upfront. I was impressed with vidic and heinze, thought they were the best players for us. Scholes was class, kept the ball going. Great to see alan smith back!

ReputationRep:
    Gay rights campaigners have urged Paul Scholes to apologise after he allegedly made a homophobic remark during the 1-0 win over Benfica.

The 31-year-old Manchester United midfielder is alleged to have made the comment after receiving a yellow card from referee Frank De Bleeckere in the 10th minute of Tuesday night's clash at the Stadium of Light.

UEFA are waiting for reports from the match delegate and the referee before they decide whether to address the complaints, although they are unlikely to take action if the incident is not reported. They expect the report on Thursday.

Peter Tatchell, of gay human rights group OutRage!, said: "We urge Paul to apologise and to express his opposition to homophobia.

"No player, referee or fan should have to endure abuse about their race or sexuality.

"There should be big fines and match suspensions for players, managers and supporters who wilfully use anti-gay insults.

"Stewards should be ordered to identify fans who shout homophobic abuse and the Football Association should secure the agreement of the police to arrest and charge them."

Tatchell also urged the FA to tackle the problem in the game.

The FA set up the 'Football For All' scheme four years ago to make the sport as accessible as possible, encompassing a number of problem areas, including homophobia.

"The Football Association works very closely with a number of group to stamp out inappropriate behaviour in the sport," an FA spokesperson said.

Get a grip, i dont tink paul should apologise, gays are gay.

ReputationRep:
    Good win for Utd but we need to improve x100000 but the win was mechanical chelsea like even. Just got the points i would be happy if we done that all season but we are missing Giggs and Park, and with all due respect Richardson is nowhere near good enough. Maybe he chould try and play Evra in that position.

ReputationRep:
    i think people need to get off richardsons back really, hes had 1 poor game and thats all. evra is a left back and not a left mid. I would either play ole right and ron left or richardson left ron right.

SIR ALEX: SMITH STILL NOT FIT

Alan Smith is still not ready to make a full return for Manchester United, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

The 25-year-old completed a remarkable comeback from injury when he came on as a late substitute in the 1-0 UEFA Champions League win on Tuesday night.

But having been out for just seven months since his horrific double leg break at Anfield, the fiery Scot knows his tenacious frontman is still some way off match fit.

"Alan is not 100 percent," Ferguson explained.

"He is still well short of that. But we are seeing good signs every day. He is getting better and now he has the confidence of knowing he is back, which is very pleasing.

"You always know Alan will play with honesty and make it hard for defenders, which is one of the reasons why I brought him on."

While the £6 million former Leeds United man looks set to miss out on a starting role for the visit of Newcastle United on Sunday, he could well be expected to do a job for the team after the international break.

United have a gruelling nine games in four weeks scheduled, and Smith's likeliest start looks set to be the Carling Cup third round trip to Crewe Alexandra on October 25.

Smith's appearance at the Estadio da Luz capped a hard-fought victory for The Red Devils which ended the club's record of failing to win in Europe for almost three years.

But Ferguson has drawn a clear line between the problems of old and the present crop of rising stars.

"For a club with our history, we expect to do better away from home," he insisted.

"But we have made a lot of changes in the past three years. We hope this team grows together because we know it can get better."

For now United sit pretty at the top of Group F with FC Copenhagen the next visitors to Old Trafford in the competition on October 17.

RIO BACKS ROONEY

Rio Ferdinand has jumped to the defence of under-fire Manchester United team-mate Wayne Rooney.

Rooney has struggled to shine in United's last few games since returning from a three-match suspension.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has played down concerns over Rooney's form and Ferdinand believes the young striker will soon bounce back.

"Wayne is getting sharper with each game, but you have to remember he has been out a long time," said Ferdinand.

"He has only played about six games in six months and no matter how good you are that is going to affect you.

"But I thought he was our liveliest player at Reading at the weekend.

"Against Benfica on Tuesday night he was asked to do a different job out wide and did it well, sacrificing himself for the team."

Meanwhile, Ferdinand has demanded United find their consistency if they are to win The Premiership title this season.

United have failed to win in their last two games and Ferdinand is keen for his side to get back on track against Newcastle this weekend.

"If we keep our house in order and become more consistent, it will take a good team to finish above us," added Ferdinand.

ReputationRep:
    About mid-way through the second half there was a throw-in roughly adjacent to the Benefica penalty area. And I saw something I'd never seen Rooney do, he was backing away from the thrower, he maintained eye contact with the thrower, but his whole body language said he didn't want the ball at all. And I think that appitimises Wayne at the moment, he's just so short of confidence right now and anyone within football will tell you a player with low confidence is a completely different player.

This on top of only having played 6 or 7 games in the past half a year and being played out of position isolated wide on the left hand side was only going to lead to an inevitably poor performance from Wayne. And it's hard to predict where he's going to find his form again. His best performances suggest his most suitable position is in 'the hole' behind the main striker as a kind of second striker.

If he's played in this position I've no doubt he'll find his form again but you have to wonder how much the departure of a certain Ruud Van Nistlerooy has affected Rooney's role in the team. Something that we've been lacking this season is a leader in attack, many times (and very evidently against Benefica) Wayne or Ronaldo would be on the counter and it just seemed like they had no man to play it up ahead to, who would hold the ball up and then make an intelligent run into the box. Saha is a fantastic, dynamic, quick striker but he's no Ruud and often seems quite distant to the rest of the attck, (case in point, last weekend vs the Arse where he should have played it to Ronaldo in the centre but went for the shot).

Giggs does give us alot of purpose in our attack and when he does shake of his latest injury we'll look alot better. However, the likes of Fletcher, Richardson, Evra one or two others really need to show why they deserve a place in the 1st 11 if we're to improve upon last season.

Chelsea have become unstoppable and WILL win the league title this year, and I don't think it was realistic to expect otherwise. It does look like Hargreaves will come in the January window and reports from Spain are that Torres next summer is a done deal (don't count on it though), in any case we have alot of prospects that will bear fruit in the next year or so and I think we will look very strong in a couple of seasons time.

ReputationRep:
    silvestre out for like 6 weeks, i think thats onli goodfor the team, tweety makes too many mistakes and this gives evra a better opportunity.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.