The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think Sil is a quality defender, but we have good strength in Heinze and Evra so we will be ok.
Reply 5401
Taking Predictions For Man Utd V Newcastle
2-0 United, with Wazza to get them both :biggrin:
Reply 5403
2-0 utd, rooney,scholes
Reply 5404
My Prediction:

Man Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle
Man Utd 2 - 0 Newcastle
Prediction - 3-1
Ronaldo1st Duff 1st half
Saha1st
Scholes2nd
Reply 5407
United 1-0 Newcastle
2-0 to united
Reply 5409
united 2-0 newcastle
Chelski draw and Liverpool lose, if Gallas had conceeded a penalty (which was 10x the penalty that Neville conceeded) it would have been a fantastic day :biggrin:
Reply 5411
Ronaldo VII
Chelski draw and Liverpool lose, if Gallas had conceeded a penalty (which was 10x the penalty that Neville conceeded) it would have been a fantastic day :biggrin:

Brilliant, lets hope we can win tomorrow :smile:
Despite all the crap people have been giving about our team and we've been giving about our team, if we manage to win tomorrow we'll go back to the top of the premiership! (Providing Portsmouth don't get a goal rush at white hart line tomorrow).

Could be a good day.
Good to see Chelski and Liverpool dropping points today, although it would have been even nicer if Angel had put away that last minute chance :p:

My prediction for the Newcastle game:

Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle

Explanation being that I just have a bad feeling about the game for some reason, so I'm going with my heart rather than my brain.
Reply 5414
:ditto:

Got that feelin' in my gut...

Man Utd
1 - 1 Newcastle Utd
Reply 5415
RIO ADMITS TO HEART WORRY

Rio Ferdinand has revealed he feared he would have to give up his football career due to a heart condition.

The England international was diagnosed with an abnormal heart six years ago when he underwent a medical as he prepared to join Leeds United from West Ham United.

The 27-year-old admits he thought he would have to stop playing football before he was quickly given the all-clear to continue.

"They did checks at the hospital," said Ferdinand in his autobiography, Rio: My Story.

"I was waiting for them to tell me everything was okay when one of them looked at me all serious and said 'You have got an irregular heart'.

"Had I heard that right? An irregular heart? Bloody hell, was I going to die? At the very least I thought I'd have to give up football.

"My dreams were shattered and my mum nearly passed out.

"One side of my heart was an abnormal size and my blood was being pumped around in a different direction to most people's.

"Four hours later they said it would not be a problem. That was a very, very long four hours.

"They said it shouldn't affect me in life and so far it hasn't. But I still think about it."

Meanwhile, Ferdinand admits he struggles to find any sympathy for former England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.

The Swede is still being criticised for his failure to lead England beyond the quarter final stage of a major tournament and Ferdinand feels Eriksson should be aware of why he is being targeted.

He added: "There was a lot of stuff that went on when Sven was the manager - off the pitch more than on it.

"I think if you're successful then everything else would be brushed under the carpet.

"But he wasn't successful and he is there to be shot at now. Rightly or wrongly, for whatever reasons, people are shooting at him and he's going to have to deal with that.

"Being England manager is one of the biggest jobs in the world.

"He knew when he got the job that he would always be under the microscope. He has to deal with what comes his way.

"I was sorry to see Sven go because I liked him as a person."
Reply 5416
MCCLAREN ADMITS TO SCHOLES BID

Steve McClaren admits he has twice tried to tempt Paul Scholes into playing for England again.

Since replacing Sven Goran Eriksson as England coach after the World Cup finals, McClaren has been pestering the Manchester United midfielder to return to the international squad.

McClaren's first request came prior to his opening game in charge against Greece, and he asked Scholes again last week ahead of naming his squad for this upcoming matches with Macedonia and Croatia.

But the 31-year-old is standing by his decision to retire from international football, which he made after appearing in Euro 2004.

"I asked Paul if he would like to return, it was one of the first things I did before I named my full squad," McClaren told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek.

"I asked him in the summer if he would reconsider and come back into the fold.

"He declined and then declined again when I asked him last week.

"He just wants to concentrate on playing for Manchester United and his family, which were the reasons for his decision when he retired from international football last time.

"I respected those decisions when he retired from international football and I don't expect to be asking him again.

"But the door is always open and I would never close it on Paul Scholes."

During seven years as an England regular, Scholes amassed 66 caps for his country, scoring 14 goals.
Reply 5417
SMITH GLAD TO BE BACK

Alan Smith admits he is hungry to prove himself again after making an early return from a horror injury.

The Manchester United striker came on as a late substitute against Benfica in midweek, seven months after breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle in an FA Cup tie with Liverpool.

Smith was always confident he would return to competitive action and is delighted to be playing ahead of the predicted Christmas comeback date.

"It was a sweet night for me to get back," Smith told the News of the World.

"To be honest, I love the game even more than before I was injured. You get a hunger for it when you have missed out.

"People originally said I would return at Christmas, but if I had got back in training by then I would have done well.

"There have been times when you get down, you get a peak and then it levels off for a while and you get no improvement and then one day it clicks in.

"The hard work gets rewarded when you get a chance like I did on Tuesday and get back out onto the pitch, then it is all worthwhile.

"I love playing for this club, I love playing football, I was always determined to get back.

"There was never a moment when I thought this is it. There was nothing like that going through my head."

With a first appearance under his belt, the 25-year-old is now focusing on building up his match fitness to be available on a regular basis.

Having spent last season pressed into emergency service in midfield, Smith has been heartened by Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to restore him to a striking role this term.

He added: "I'm back as a striker this season and I love it. I think I did a stop-gap job for the gaffer last year. I think he has always seen me as a striker.

"He told me I'm the youngest centre forward he has ever bought. Obviously Wayne Rooney is a bit different, he plays just off the front line."
Reply 5418
Team Line-Up:

Edwin Van Der Sar

Neville Rio Vidic Heinze

Fletcher Carrick Scholes Ronaldo

Solksjaer Rooney
2-1 to United for me. Scholes and Solksjaer. Then Martins for Newcastle.

Latest