The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
jamlan
I don't think Hansen put it nicely. He says "There does not have to be contact for a penalty to be given", but i believe if there is no contact, there does have to be intent to foul the player. To me, it looks as though Schwarzer is going in for the block. No intent to foul the player, no penalty. I don't believe Ronaldo did just lose his footing though. He flicked his feet out as he went down, in a typical dive motion.
You're right, there wouldn't have been this furore if it was Rooney, but that's cos he's in the eyes of the media he can do no wrong
The bit about Chimbonda is irrelevant. Not sure why he put it in there. For one, that wasn't a foul. For two, his argument is that Poll shouldn't have awarded it cos he couldn't see the challenge. So even if it was a foul, Poll shouldn't have given it. Which makes that example even less relevant. I agree with him Poll shouldn't have given it.

Schwarzer was approaching Ronaldo and only stopped the slide when he realised that Ronaldo has taken the ball away from him, no one knows what would have happened if Ronaldo had gone a bit further before changing the direction.
well you cant possibly blame ronaldo he just turned direction quickly and stumbled
Is there a Youtube video of this incident?
no dont think so i will have a check for you
tnano1fan
no dont think so i will have a check for you

a good workman never blames his tools....

let me guess, the connection went down :wink:
Reply 6725
^ LOL

prediction for tomorrows game:

united 2-0 benfica
Reply 6726
NDGAARONDI
Is there a Youtube video of this incident?

Here is the Youtube video for you. I'm sure if it was a boro' player instead of Ronaldo, Mr Ferguson would be saying "It was a clear dive - I would never have any cheats like that in my team."

Edit: Forgot to add the link! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kX25WZQDY0&mode=related&search=
stale88
Here is the Youtube video for you. I'm sure if it was a boro' player instead of Ronaldo, Mr Ferguson would be saying "It was a clear dive - I would never have any cheats like that in my team."

Edit: Forgot to add the link! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kX25WZQDY0&mode=related&search=

OMG. To make it worse his comments on Gareth Southgate: ""Southgate stopped playing football last year. He needs to understand football much better," said the 21-year-old Portuguese international".

If it weren't for the potential irony with Mourinho, I'd love it if he (or any other manager) got some score cards they use for dancing and gymnastics and if he dives and gets a penalty/free kick then emerge from the technical area and show an 8, 9 or 10. :biggrin:
NDGAARONDI
OMG. To make it worse his comments on Gareth Southgate: ""Southgate stopped playing football last year. He needs to understand football much better," said the 21-year-old Portuguese international".

If it weren't for the potential irony with Mourinho, I'd love it if he (or any other manager) got some score cards they use for dancing and gymnastics and if he dives and gets a penalty/free kick then emerge from the technical area and show an 8, 9 or 10. :biggrin:

Southgate should start by getting himself qualified with all the respective badges, and try transforming his team to play football rather than the mediocre trash Boro are currently playing, mediocre trash is a rather generous description :biggrin: He`s only letting himself get preoccupied with another team, and that shouldn`t be his first priority - the reality is, Man United should have beaten his Boro side by more than one goal. He really needs to look at his squad, change things, because on the evidence of the current situation, Boro are nothing special. It`d be a dark day/whatever, for the Premiership, if say, West Ham got relegated, and then we had the likes of Middlesborough still filling up the numbers.
Reply 6729
Big game tomorrow night, and I'd imagine there'll be a pretty good atmosphere. Kinda funny really that tickets had been on sale for a while, then as soon as it became a must-win game people started snapping them up :rolleyes:

Anyway, my prediction: United 3-1 Benfica
white_haired_wizard
Southgate should start by getting himself qualified with all the respective badges

You know, if you and I went for our badges we'd be more qualified than Graeme Souness and Sir Alex Ferguson. :cool:
Reply 6731
Mithun
Schwarzer was approaching Ronaldo and only stopped the slide when he realised that Ronaldo has taken the ball away from him, no one knows what would have happened if Ronaldo had gone a bit further before changing the direction.
In which case, it shouldn't have been a penalty
My Prediction

United 3-1 Benfica
Reply 6733
prediction: Utd win 3 : 0
my prediction:

man utd 0, benfica 10
2-0 to United
Reply 6736
BBC are showing our Cup tie with Villa. 2pm on Sunday 7th January.
BexTait
Big game tomorrow night, and I'd imagine there'll be a pretty good atmosphere. Kinda funny really that tickets had been on sale for a while, then as soon as it became a must-win game people started snapping them up :rolleyes:

Anyway, my prediction: United 3-1 Benfica

Doubt it, never is when it's been on general sale sadly. I get sick of the looks I get sometimes from the two cockney charlies next to me; always telling people to sit-down, paid for my seat, don't want to see the back of your head, etc etc...plenty of time to sit down on the coach home bunch of plastics. They're only about 25 aswell. Typical pretentious southerners.
I'll go 2 - 1 to Utd
NDGAARONDI
You know, if you and I went for our badges we'd be more qualified than Graeme Souness and Sir Alex Ferguson. :cool:

:biggrin: Putting Souness and Ferguson in the same bracket, eh :rolleyes:

Latest