Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    On the van Persie comment he has a point; but that's because anyone would have given Patrice Evra more trouble than Alex Waste Of Space Hleb. Defend him if you want, but I can find you more than one Arsenal fan who reckons Hleb just isn't good enough for a club of Arsenal's class.
    Hleb isnt too bad, not on form at the moment but played well earlier in the season.

How does Van Persie come into this? He played on the left when he came on

ReputationRep:
    Thought he replaced Hleb?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Synergetic)

Arsenal had plenty of half-chances in the second half. Man Utd were the ones that had one chance, and took it well. I lost count of the number of shots Rosicky fired off-target from decent positions.
    did you not see the Rooney strike that was dipping under the bar and Lehmann had to tip over ....

other than the arsenal goals there were no real 'threats' that weren't easily dealt with... a draw would've been fair, and arsenal winning was harsh

ReputationRep:
    As far as Hleb goes, he's been great imo. He doesn't score as many as he should, but he is usually one of our main attacking threats. He didn't have a great game yesterday though.

Arsenal had plenty of half-chances in the second half. Man Utd were the ones that had one chance, and took it well. I lost count of the number of shots Rosicky fired off-target from decent positions.
    He gives the ball away far too much. Doens't suit Arsenal's possession and passing game. If Freddie Ljungberg isn't going to play, give Theo Walcott a chance. The thing I've noticed about Walcott, a thing I like, is that he always looks to play a pass.

And I don't think the number of Tomas Rosicky's shots is indicative of dominance; he'll tonk it from anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheGriffin)
    did you not see the Rooney strike that was dipping under the bar and Lehmann had to tip over ....

other than the arsenal goals there were no real 'threats' that weren't easily dealt with... a draw would've been fair, and either team winning would have been harsh
    Yeah, Rooney had a shot that Lehmann saved, and that was virtually it. In the second half, you hardly got the ball out of your half.

Take off your man utd-tinted glasses mate. The whole world could see that Arsenal deserved a victory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    He gives the ball away far too much. Doens't suit Arsenal's possession and passing game. If Freddie Ljungberg isn't going to play, give Theo Walcott a chance. The thing I've noticed about Walcott, a thing I like, is that he always looks to play a pass.

And I don't think the number of Tomas Rosicky's shots is indicative of dominance; he'll tonk it from anywhere.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdR0i-VTM4 - he didn't just tonk them from anywhere - they were decent chances.

And what is indicative of dominance? possession? shots on goal? Check the stats for them if you want.

True - Hleb does give the ball away a bit too much imo, he should not try to beat another man, and just play the pass.

ReputationRep:
    Neither possession nor shots on goal are a statistic that are indicative of dominance, unless they are so heavily in favour of one team that they can't be ignored. I'm talking maybe 60+% possession or 22 vs 2 shots on goal. As you should know being an Arsenal fan, a team can dominate a football match without ever shooting for long periods; that would sum up the first 15 to 20 minutes yesterday. And a great amount of possession is not indicative because it could be that nothing is made of that possession, as watching England will tell you. The bulk of England's possession is shared among the back four.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Take off your man utd-tinted glasses mate. The whole world could see that Arsenal deserved a victory.
    if by 'deserved' you mean 2 chances all game and territory that only gave you 2 chances, that were both taken , then yes you did 'deserve' it...

edit: if you check the skysports statistics u'll see that the dominance wasn't that big a difference anyway....

ReputationRep:
    Surely its even more embarassing if Arsenal didn't deserve the win because they still did?

At the end of the day, you lost, arguments like "we deserved it", "our fans were better", "my dad is bigger than yours" are not viable... the fact of the matter is, your 11 players bottled it and ****ed up the chance they had to win

I would back Arsenal as the team to challenge united for the title now...

ReputationRep:
    This is like soo yesterday, lets talk about something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheGriffin)
    if by 'deserved' you mean 2 chances all game and territory that only gave you 2 chances, that were both taken , then yes you did 'deserve' it...

edit: if you check the skysports statistics u'll see that the dominance wasn't that big a difference anyway....

And if you see the highlights you'll see Man Utd taking virtually their only chance of the game, and Arsenal piling on pressure for the whole of the second half doing all the attacking whilst Man Utd can't get out their own half. Not to mention the stone-wall penalty that should've been given to Arsenal in the first half, imo Arsenal should've won by more than just the one goal. But on the other hand, it doesn't get much better than a last minute winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Surely its even more embarassing if Arsenal didn't deserve the win because they still did?

At the end of the day, you lost, arguments like "we deserved it", "our fans were better", "my dad is bigger than yours" are not viable... the fact of the matter is, your 11 players bottled it and ****ed up the chance they had to win

They didn't bottle it. You can always fine-pick little points out - oh, Evra should've been tracking Eboue, Ferdinand should've been tighter on Henry etc., but the bottom line was that Arsenal won the game, Man Utd didn't lose it.

And btw, Arsenal are not in this title race. It's between Man Utd and Chelsea imo - Arsenal were out of it a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)

It wasn't a matter of United's bottle, it was a matter of the home team chipping away at the away team defending a 1-0 lead.

Very sad tactics here on TSR, trying to diffuse an obviously inflammatory post with an insincere smiley. It's annoying.

And it's still only the two teams in the title race I'm afraid, whatever the papers tell you; but the fact that Chelsea are as close to fourth as they are to first says that it's not going to be United and Chelsea running away from 18 teams in future seasons and it is true to talk about a Big Four in existence.

ReputationRep:
    In this talk of united's chances no one seems to have mentioned Larsson's goalbound header that was booted of the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    It wasn't a matter of United's bottle, it was a matter of the home team chipping away at the away team defending a 1-0 lead.

Very sad tactics here on TSR, trying to diffuse an obviously inflammatory post with an insincere smiley. It's annoying.

And it's still only the two teams in the title race I'm afraid, whatever the papers tell you; but the fact that Chelsea are as close to fourth as they are to first says that it's not going to be United and Chelsea running away from 18 teams in future seasons and it is true to talk about a Big Four in existence.
    I was not trying to cover it up... Man UTD showed they could be on top of Arsenal if they were playing their best... they didn't... That as far as I am concerned is bottling it... hence my comment. Arsenal owned them in the midfield from what I saw.. but then I wasn't there with my dad like every man utd fan so I can't really comment.

I love it how whenever a comment is made about one of the big 4, you get a barage of abuse from every other fan.

I think Arsenal can do it, they are picking points up in difficult games where maybe they wouldn't expect it, where as the other teams in the top 4 are losing points.

I just think its pathetic how the excuses come out like "we were better" come out after the game... you still lost.

ReputationRep:
    we'll see at the end of the season. last time we lost to arsenal we went on a run and i can see that happening again remember this is united and we always bounce back well.

ReputationRep:
    We still owned Blackburn.

Anyway I was thinking if we get Arsenal at home in a cup tie I'm confident we can avenge defeat against them since I don't reckon they'll beat us three times in a row. Arsenal did it to us in our "trophyless" 2005 season after we completed the double over them, so I can only live in hope we can do something similar. We have Pompey and they have Bolton, I'll be hoping for two home wins then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Anyway I was thinking if we get Arsenal at home in a cup tie I'm confident we can avenge defeat against them since I don't reckon they'll beat us three times in a row.
    Law of averages suggest that you might, but I hope we do get you in the FA cup - home or away.

ReputationRep:
    Or even in CL mate! Second leg at Old Trafford!

Wenger has reportedly said that United ‘are no longer the same team after 70 minutes’, i don't agree with that too much but nevertheless i do think we need someone like Hargreaves whos got incredible stamina who can drive us in midfield. I think Carrick has had a decent first half of the season, hes brought in composure to our midfield and dictates the tempo with Scholes really well, i just feel we need a tackler in there to compliment them both, meaning we would probably have to go to a 4-3-3 formation but thats for Fergie to decide.

The Premiership wasnt blown open on the weekend, whatever the papers might say; this is still a two horse race between United and Chelsea. I have no doubt that Liverpool and Arsenal will be more challenging in the seasons to come.

We didnt deserve to lose the game on Sunday nor we did we deserve to win, we didn't do enough in the final third, i felt that Fergie got his tactcs wrong, we really should have went at them with a 442, we wasted Rooney on the right and left. Larsson was just heading balls on to open spaces up front.

We've gotta pick ourselves up now and hopefully get back to winning ways against Portsmouth in the FA Cup this weekend.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.