Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    2 1 to utd

ReputationRep:
    The French police have had to use (or felt as much), batons and tear gas against some of the United fans. Bit of argy over at the United end.

It could have consequences for the game; Edwin van der Sar has indicated problems with his eyes, perhaps some tear gas got into his eyes. If so, and they can't wash it out fully in time, Tomasz Kuszczak may have to be deployed in goal for the second half.

ReputationRep:
    United are turning it on now.

Wayne Rooney had been on a mazy run moments before, beating a few defenders down the left. His cross is just beyond Ryan Giggs.

Cristiano Ronaldo tries to round the keeper and fails; he collects the rebound and his pass sees Rooney blaze over.

Lille should have gone one up just now, van der Sar with a good save. While it's 0-0 it can still go either way, despite United's dominance.

And the fuss at the United end is to be the topic of discussion by the FA, UEFA and Manchester United after the game.

ReputationRep:
    Lille have put the ball into the net, and the stadium goes wild. Disallowed for pushing, and United are let off.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh have it!

Ryan Giggs takes a 30-yard free kick quickly and scores! 1-0 to United, and all of Lille's protests are futile. Counter-productive even, as a few players have been booked.

The ball's gone out of play after the restart, and some of Lille's players are leaving the pitch!

ReputationRep:
    It seems on the orders of Lille's coach some of his players had left the pitch. Sir Alex Ferguson had attempted to shout them back on. They are back on the pitch now. Now Lille's fans are throwing all manner of dangerous stuff on the pitch. Farcical now. United ought to be given the tie.

ReputationRep:
    lol lille should get kicked out

ReputationRep:
    Well we won the tie in Lille like I said which means we can put total emphasis on the Liverpool game next weekend without worrying too much about the second leg.

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky for Lille tbh, they were all over you, and then for Giggs to go and score such a controversial goal.... they still shouldn't have gone to leave the pitch or w/e they did, but I do feel sorry for them.

ReputationRep:
    Controversial? Do you even watch the Premiership? Clear goal. And their goal was a crude foul, professional and deserved a red card.

Their coach should be sacked, Lille fined $1million and forced to play the next 5 European games behind closed doors. Utterly disgraceful behaviour and I just hope there is no trouble outside the ground. The Utd fans should get the **** out of there asap.

ReputationRep:
    No controversy to be honest. Odemwingie pushes vidic, and giggs talks to ref about a quick free kick just like henry's numerous free kicks.

Perfect - played rubbish on a **** pitch, go back to the theatre of dreams 1-0 up, away goal, no injuries.

Only slight concern is ronaldos reaction to being subbed...

Let's hope it's not a sign of the beginning of the end.

Ourkid

ReputationRep:
    Poor Lille, played so much better than manchester united, really hard done by, and then that 'goal'.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what channel was the match being broadcast on?

ReputationRep:
    Great result given the circumstances. I wouldnt fear anything about Ronaldo, just shows how passionate he is

ReputationRep:
    Lille had some gall to try that tactic against a team of Manchester United's calibre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fire is Ice)
    Sorry, but what channel was the match being broadcast on?
    ITV1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fire is Ice)
    Poor Lille, played so much better than manchester united, really hard done by, and then that 'goal'.
    What's with the inverted commas? Never seen a quick free kick before?

And it was broadcast on ITV here in England I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Bear)
    Controversial? Do you even watch the Premiership? Clear goal. And their goal was a crude foul, professional and deserved a red card.

Their coach should be sacked, Lille fined $1million and forced to play the next 5 European games behind closed doors. Utterly disgraceful behaviour and I just hope there is no trouble outside the ground. The Utd fans should get the **** out of there asap.
    I do indeed watch the Premiership, I just haven't myself yet seen Henry do that, so it was new to me. I always thought the ref had to whistle... and controversial or not, Lille still played well, better than Man U by a fair bit and they were unlucky in the end, but hey, that's football.

ReputationRep:
    But still you have to feel sorry to them, you must admit they did play well, and well they deserved at least a draw, I mean Celtic played horribly and they managed a draw.

ReputationRep:
    The fact of the matter is you can take free kicks all over the pitch once the referee gives his say so and moves away. Why should it change just outside the penalty box goal once the wall is 10 yards away? If Lille were not ready thats their own fault.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.