The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree about the disallowed goal Steezy, I thought it was a goal from whichever angle, the Lille player was obviously going for the ball behind Vidic, and Vidic just fell down...
Reply 8061
Mixed about their disallowed goal. Felt Vidic went down a little easily, but then again there was a push on him.

As for our goal, nothing wring with it what so ever, ref was happy for play to go on, else he'd have pulled the game back and had teh kick taken again. It was what followed that was ridiculous. Bad of the management to call the players over/off, can understand why Nev went over, wanting to know what was going on, tho he looked rather angry. All sorts seemed to be thrown at our players after, noticed paper, bog roll and flag poles which could have done a fair bit of damage.

Hope the United fans are OK, seems the Police didn't react to the situation at all well.

Be interesting to see what UEFA make of this one. The FA and United officials were supposedly meeting with UEFA peeps after the game re crowd trouble, and then on top of that there's the events of the second half. See what the morning/rest of the week brings.
Just got back now, for once value-for-money in a European away. Got a brief moment on camera at MCR airport as they were interviewing about the crush. Completely the police's fault. UNITED Aggro is back.
I'm really surprised some of you think it maybe wasn't a foul on Vidic. It clearly was, it was a strong push.

Free-kick was legal of course, so the manner in which Lille behaved after the perfectly legitimate goal, they need a good spanking for behaving like a bunch of dicks. Maybe even kick them out of the event. It horrifies me that a top European team which Lille evidently are, don't know the rules. They should and they should get punished for their incompetence, unprofessionalism, and their fans need punishment, the whole club does. And if this punishment is in the form of expulsion from the champions league for this current campaign, then so be it.

As for the match, United didn't play particularly well, Lille were the better side, passing-wise, penetration, although to be fair, United had two or three excellent clear-cut chances, Rooney went on a good run only to decide not to shoot with the goal gaping at him, and pass it instead, WTF was that all about, Larsson should have hit the target instead of doing that unnecessary cute chip which was a good 18 inches over the crossbar....

And as for David Pleat believing it was a penalty after seeing numerous replays of Lilles disallowed goal, what a cock, it was blatantly a foul on Vidic...
Reply 8064
white_haired_wizard
As for the match, United didn't play particularly well, Lille were the better side, passing-wise, penetration, although to be fair, United had two or three excellent clear-cut chances, Rooney went on a good run only to decide not to shoot with the goal gaping at him, and pass it instead, WTF was that all about, Larsson should have hit the target instead of doing that unnecessary cute chip which was a good 18 inches over the crossbar...

The ITV commentators were praising Larrson's "creativity" when he chipped it over the bar. How ridiculous, it's not like he set up another player and the goalie was lying on the ground. The look on Gigg's face after it went over said it all.
decola
The ITV commentators were praising Larrson's "creativity" when he chipped it over the bar. How ridiculous, it's not like he set up another player and the goalie was lying on the ground. The look on Gigg's face after it went over said it all.

It was absolutely ridiculous the way they were talking about Larsson, with expletives about what Larsson did, all he did was run onto the ball, piss around with the ball a little, delay his shot and then **** it all up big time!! He should at least have hit the target, there was no need whatsoever to do a chip from where he was, he chose the most difficult thing to do in the situation - the situation hardly demanded a lob-shot. The commentary was ****, and the only bloke on the commentary that made some sense last night was Andy Townsend, who's straightforwardness regarding Lille to be expelled and the disallowed goal, both surprised me and, i had respect for it. He didn't mince his words. Pleat is a cock.
Okay, it was a foul on Vidic, no question, and the goal was brilliant.

I don't blame the lille players for what happened next, it was that guy on the bench that was the problem.

I am not sure whether or not Lille should be kicked out for the incident, but it would send the right sort of message out to the fans if they did.

The french police are *insert various french expletives*, they would rather cause another hillsborough disaster than open a stand, the way they treated the man u fans was bad.

Anyway, thats my take on the game, was interesting for the wrong reasons.
Yeah, glad to get the away goal.

Should it have stood? I don't know. The ref didn't blow his whistle.
jaydoh

the ref doesn't need to blow his whistle, if i'm not mistaken.

Perfectly legitimate goal, and pathetic that Lille don't know the rules of the game. The idiots should get kicked out on this basis alone!
jaydoh

the ref doesn't have to blow his whistle. maybe the rules need to be changed in that respect, but giggs asked him it seemed if he could take a quick one, the ref said yes, and stepped away, then the ball becomes in play, and fair game for the shot
Reply 8070
Apparently the French media haven't reported on the walk off AT ALL. So anyone not having watched the game over there won't have a clue it happened except by word of mouth. They also haven't reported on the missiles being thrown onto the pitch. They also don't appear to know the rules since they've focused on the disgust of the Lille players.
Giggs's goal was within the rules. It's not so common in the French league that quick free kicks are taken.
Vidic didn't dive, he was already off balance leaning forward to try and head the ball away. The guy pushed him in the back, not much, but i think it was enough.
thats what i was thinking, vidic is one of the most solid defenders and look how easily he fell over
Vidic was initially wrestled, the wrestle developed into a strong push. Enough said. It wasn't a pat on the back, the Lille striker was all over him.
Reply 8073
Having said what i said about the quick free kick, although it's within the rules, i don't think it should be, not in a position like that. The keeper was standing at his post lining up the wall, so it was a piece of piss to score. Might as well have given ManU a penalty. It just doesn't seem in the spirit of the game, or at least what i think the spirit of the game should be.
^ That's why I felt sorry for them, and probably why it's hardly ever done as it's just not in the spirit of the game, but they are the Red Devils I suppose..
Reply 8075
jamlan
Having said what i said about the quick free kick, although it's within the rules, i don't think it should be, not in a position like that. The keeper was standing at his post lining up the wall, so it was a piece of piss to score. Might as well have given ManU a penalty. It just doesn't seem in the spirit of the game, or at least what i think the spirit of the game should be.

Flash6289
^ That's why I felt sorry for them, and probably why it's hardly ever done as it's just not in the spirit of the game, but they are the Red Devils I suppose..

Of course it's in the spirit of the game. The advantage must remain with the team that was fouled against. It's Lille's, and particularly their goalkeeper's, fault that they prepared for the free kick assuming it would require a wall rather than see if it was going to be taken quickly.

And there's nothing particularly devilish about it, every team is free to exploit the rule, and it's resulted in goals for plenty of other teams.
you see, that is why you always get a player to stand in front of the ball as the wall is setting up, then the ref has no option but to force that player back and tell the other team to wait for the whistle...

Chelsea on the other hand have a nack for surrounding the ball, then leaving numerous players around the ball, all moaning it shouldn't be a free kick in the first place. It works, whilst annoying the other team in the process...
Reply 8077
jamlan
Apparently the French media haven't reported on the walk off AT ALL. So anyone not having watched the game over there won't have a clue it happened except by word of mouth. They also haven't reported on the missiles being thrown onto the pitch. They also don't appear to know the rules since they've focused on the disgust of the Lille players.
Giggs's goal was within the rules. It's not so common in the French league that quick free kicks are taken.
Vidic didn't dive, he was already off balance leaning forward to try and head the ball away. The guy pushed him in the back, not much, but i think it was enough.

Disgusting propaganda there.

-

Lille's manager Claude Puel reckons that "In France a player can even be sent off for taking a free-kick so quickly. The rules are very clear."

O RLY

Lille captain Gregory Tafforeau: "When the goalkeeper asks to place his wall, you should wait for the referee's whistle"

The goalkeeper has no right to request a wall, it's up to the attacking team. So the goalkeeper can say whatever he wants, it makes no difference and certainly has no bearing on whether the ref blows the whistle.

Idiocy and ignorance from the Lille camp regarding rules of the game that are otherwise common knowledge.
Reply 8078
jamlan

They should change the rule because some refs allow quick free kicks whereas others don't, saying that they should have put a player to stand in front of the ball.

The French should know about quick free kicks seeing that Henry has been doing it for some time now.
Reply 8079
Pleased with the result, hopefully we will thrash them in the second leg. Should be an interesting game seeing that they will want revenge.

Thought the defence was all over the place yesterday and too many long balls were hoofed forward. That Makoun looks like a really neat player, had Carrick in his pocket for most of the match.

Hope all the fans are ok, some disgusting treatment by the french police.

Latest