The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
AYE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say vidic was stumbling and the push was enough to put him to the ground, was it was a foul.

Also regarding the Larsson thing, I think he was great at that moment were he just didged all those players, just that he messed up the shot big time, but his perception of the lille players was very good.
Mithun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AYE)
I'd say vidic was stumbling and the push was enough to put him to the ground, was it was a foul.
The thing is the Lille forward used his hands, it would have been different if he had used his shoulder.
Flash6289
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mithun)
The thing is the Lille forward used his hands, it would have been different if he had used his shoulder.
He didn't have any choice as Vidic was already going down, the only part that could connect was his arms as his shoulders were too high.
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The irony is that a Frenchman invented the quick free kick.

No mention has been made of Odimwangers flashing of the card routine, I think the referee saw that and immediately wanted to be biased against Lille. Disgraceful behaviour from that little oink.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've just read that Lille have lodged an official complaint with UEFA over our goal. Bloody hell.

If UEFA don't treat it with the disdain it deserves, if they actually hear it out...
~ o ~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've just read the same thing. The nerve!!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~ o ~)
I've just read the same thing. The nerve!!
Nerve is the word. That, or ignorance. I can't believe they don't get that the goal is well within the rules. And I hate the media in this country describing the goal as controversial.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Of course it's in the spirit of the game. The advantage must remain with the team that was fouled against. It's Lille's, and particularly their goalkeeper's, fault that they prepared for the free kick assuming it would require a wall rather than see if it was going to be taken quickly.

And there's nothing particularly devilish about it, every team is free to exploit the rule, and it's resulted in goals for plenty of other teams.
The advantage is given to by the awarding of a free shot at goal. We're talking about different degrees of advantage here though. I could suggest giving more of an advantage to the fouled team but you might say that's going too far. As far as i'm concerned both teams should be involved when play starts. None of the Lille players were actually playing when the kick was taken. Again, what ManU did was within the rules but I don't see the problem with making the rule that the ref can blow the whistle when the attacking team is ready, thus alerting the defending team to the fact that the game has restarted. It's not in the spirit of the game to score a goal while the other team aren't looking.
As for the people who said that Lille should have put a player in front of the ball. Isn't that obstructing a free kick? You can get booked for that. Or at least you could, doesn't seem to happen any more. So you're suggesting that the right thing for Lille to do was to cheat? Why didn't Lille get one of their players to pick the ball up until the wall was properly lined up, that'll make sure it doesn't get taken until they're ready. The blocking of a free kick issue came up in the Annoying Things About Football thread
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Liverpool winning tonight was for good for us guys.

Benitez might be more focused on the 2nd tie now rather than the Man U home game 3 days before. If they got beat 3-0 then they'd probably take the United game more seriously, but staying in the only competition they have any chance of winning helps our cause IMO, since their priorities have changed. Bit more confident about that game at Anfield now.:cool:
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Liverpool winning tonight was for good for us guys.

Benitez might be more focused on the 2nd tie now rather than the Man U home game 3 days before. If they got beat 3-0 then they'd probably take the United game more seriously, but staying in the only competition they have any chance of winning helps our cause IMO, since their priorities have changed. Bit more confident about that game at Anfield now.:cool:
lmfao you've got it all wrong! :eek:
Yes we will take the Barca match seriously but we have a comfortable lead, if anything id be more worried about the amount of joy/relief/belief the players will have in beating Barca at the Nou camp, throw in the fact that Anfield record is amazing , gives us so much more incentive to keep on a winning streak!
Aslong as we give a strong, solid performance against Shef utd i say we should give manure a run for their money :cool:
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
lmfao you've got it all wrong! :eek:
Yes we will take the Barca match seriously but we have a comfortable lead, if anything id be more worried about the amount of joy/relief/belief the players will have in beating Barca at the Nou camp, throw in the fact that Anfield record is amazing , gives us so much more incentive to keep on a winning streak!
Aslong as we give a strong, solid performance against Shef utd i say we should give manure a run for their money :cool:
is there such a thing as a comfortable lead when it comes to playing Barcelona?? :confused:
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
Yeah but your expected to beat us aren't you? We're the ones having a fluke season according to your lot (most Liverpool fans will tell me they're miles better on paper) so I guess throwing in your home record like you mentioned I'm expecting nothing short but a convincing Liverpool victory.

Nobody expected us to go close to the title this year so I guess nobody expects us to beat Liverpool's long unbeaten home recored either. But hey we'll see, I'd gladly take the underdogs tag against the "alleged" already crowned 2007 european champions.
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A run for their money implies it should be a good/closely contested match, nowhere did i say anyone would be completely outplayed/trashed off the pitch :p:
I mentioned the home record because we play so much better at home? you just need to look at the figures to see the huge gulf between us playing at home and away...

err everyone was talking about how Chelski/Manure/Pool (and arsenal to a small extent) should be playing for the title and said it should be a more interest season than the last couple...
and i never said we're going to win the CL :p: its just nice to have a good chance of knocking out the current holders and favourites for the tournment? :p:
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What is more disgraceful is Lille's response. Forged tickets caused the crush, the police acted fine, the goal was illegal, the walkout was entirely acceptable.

Unbe****inglievable.
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Especially when you consider that majority of the touting was done by French people by the sounds of it. Lille reckon it's United's fault cos they gave out the tickets too early, from what I've heard (and remember seeing on manutd.com) they weren't posted out/available for collection from United until 2 weeks prior to the game (maybe less?).

Can't see how they can complain about our fans behaviour when theirs were the ones throwing flag sticks and whatever else at the players whilst they were trying to play.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lille having the audacity to question United's practices in Europe. United have been in it every year for donkeys', you'd think the club knows what it's doing.
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Kick the cheeky ****ers out, it's that simple.
Mithun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
UEFA have rejected Lille's request to replay the tie, now hope we thrash them in the second leg.
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/6384665.stm

And will face an improper conduct charge. What about the crowd though? Is it acceptable behaviour to throw stuff at the players on the pitch?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (50)
27.17%
No (134)
72.83%

Watched Threads