The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
mancred
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
carrick reported £20m, aimar reported £7m. i know who i would rather have based on this.
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In multiple newspapers today we are apparently going to make a £25m bid for Torres once Ruud goes
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Man Utd invite offers for Miller

Miller has failed to live up to his reputation Manchester United are ready to listen to offers for midfielder Liam Miller. Miller, 25, has struggled to live up to the reputation he arrived with when he moved to Old Trafford from Celtic in the summer of 2004.

The Republic of Ireland international has made just 22 first-team appearances and spent the latter half of last season on loan at Leeds.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to get a deal sorted out before the transfer window closes in August.

United's expectations of Miller were demonstrated by their pursuit of him, which saw him sign a pre-contract agreement six months before his arrival.

But he seemed overawed by his surroundings and, despite the absence of a large number of senior players, was only a substitute in the opening game of United's South African tour.

Leeds' defeat by Watford in the Championship play-off final at the end of last season effectively scuppered any chance of a permanent move to Elland Road.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tell you what, I'm actually feeling much more confident about the season ahead than I was before the match yesterday. I know they're only Orlando Pirates, but to see Solskjaer back with his goalscoring genius is a sight that every Man Utd fan loves to see, and with Scholes getting back into the swing of things I think we're going to have a very good season.

Obviously we've got quite a few strikers: Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer, Smith and Rossi, and everyone knows that they always perform better when there is competition for places. With Solskjaer reaching close to his old form, Smith back from injury and Rossi looking to break into the first team, Rooney and Saha will know that their positions are not certain. And all this is before we even mention a certain Fernando Torres
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
Ollie did u watch the game yesterday m8?
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr power)
Ollie did u watch the game yesterday m8?
I didn't unfortunately, my comments are just based on what I've heard from various sources (manutd.com, TSR, bbc.co.uk)
Rafa
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Atletico Madrid have moved quickly to deny the latest link between Manchester United and Fernando Torres - insisting they would not sell him for 'all the money in the world'.

English reports suggested that Sir Alex Ferguson was ready to bid in excess of £20 million for the Spanish striker - who had a sensational World Cup finals scoring three goals.

With Ruud van Nistelrooy preparing to leave Old Trafford, resources are not an issue for The Red Devils - and Ferguson was ready to test Atletico's resolve.

However, the capital club have always maintained a strong stance over their young skipper and it would seem they intend to fend off any interest and keep him at The Vincente Calderon for at least another season.

"I do not speak about the rumours in the press, but I would reiterate that Fernando Torres is not for sale," Atletico director general Miguel Angel Gil told skysports.com.

"Not for all the money in the world."

Newly appointed coach Javier Aguirre is indeed relishing the prospect of working with Torres.

"The club has told me that El Nino play this season with us," he said.

"I am preparing all our schemes with his presence in Atletico."
Rafa
Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed goalkeeper Ben Foster as a future England number one.

Foster is currently on Manchester United's tour of South Africa, but he is not expected to be at Old Trafford next season.

The 23-year-old is expected to be back at Watford on a season-long loan as he did last term following his move to United from Stoke City.

But Ferguson has revealed his fondness for Foster - who looks to have a big future at United ahead of him.

"All the material is there," said Ferguson.

"He had a couple of tests yesterday but he coped with them very well.

"His handling is very good and he is a fantastic kicker of the ball. He can get the ball from a defensive position to behind your opponents' last line of defence very easily.

"He is quick across his area and has a great physique. All he needs now is experience."

Ferguson has already allowed Tim Howard to join Everton, and Foster is set to leave also - but the United chief needs another goalkeeper to compete with number one Edwin van der Sar.

West Brom's Tomasz Kusczak is Ferguson's number one choice to come in and talks continue over his move from The Hawthorns.

Foster himself is keen to make the move back to Watford - who he helped into The Premiership.

"Staying at United would be okay, but I'd love to be at Watford," he said.

"The chance to play in The Premiership week in, week out is everything to a young footballer.

"I love everything about the club - the players, the staff, the manager. It is a very professional set-up and I want to be part of it."
mancred
Report 12 years ago
Any united fan who looks at our striker situation and is happy is sadly mistaken. Rooney, Saha, Smith, Rossi and Ole, they are our main 5. Although scoring two goals yesterday, added to the long injury period out, i think it will be a while before ole gets back to his best. Added to the fact that he is 33, i dont think we will see ole that much this season (pains me to say, love the lad, one of my favourite players). Rossi, great young player, but unproven im afraid, yes he shows moments of brilliance but he is inconsistent, and when up against chelsea, consistency will be vital. Alan Smith is being moulded into a midfield player by SAF, yes with injuries he could play upfront, but i cant see fergie going back on last year and saying he wants him to be a striker again. Saha, i rate saha, he is quick, very strong and a good finisher, but for me hes a very good player, but i dont feel thats what we need, another 'good' player. I think with the competition in all competetions is so tough, if we expect to win trophies, good players wont cut it. Rooney is wonderclass. He is the one player in our team at the moment that i think we will rely on to a certain extent next season, i dont need to list his skills, you are all aware of them. One wonderclass signing, eg, torres and another great striker would lead saha and ole to be backups. I would love to see rossi out on loan, he is at the age where he needs to be playing every week in competitive games, it would develop him as a player and give him a higher price tag.

Also, cant remember who said it but i think rooney is guaranteed a first team place. When a pleyer such as rooney has to fight for a place, thats when you have to buy a bigger trophy cabinet.
Rafa
(Original post by mancred)
Any united fan who looks at our striker situation and is happy is sadly mistaken. Rooney, Saha, Smith, Rossi and Ole, they are our main 5. Although scoring two goals yesterday, added to the long injury period out, i think it will be a while before ole gets back to his best. Added to the fact that he is 33, i dont think we will see ole that much this season (pains me to say, love the lad, one of my favourite players). Rossi, great young player, but unproven im afraid, yes he shows moments of brilliance but he is inconsistent, and when up against chelsea, consistency will be vital. Alan Smith is being moulded into a midfield player by SAF, yes with injuries he could play upfront, but i cant see fergie going back on last year and saying he wants him to be a striker again. Saha, i rate saha, he is quick, very strong and a good finisher, but for me hes a very good player, but i dont feel thats what we need, another 'good' player. I think with the competition in all competetions is so tough, if we expect to win trophies, good players wont cut it. Rooney is wonderclass. He is the one player in our team at the moment that i think we will rely on to a certain extent next season, i dont need to list his skills, you are all aware of them. One wonderclass signing, eg, torres and another great striker would lead saha and ole to be backups. I would love to see rossi out on loan, he is at the age where he needs to be playing every week in competitive games, it would develop him as a player and give him a higher price tag.

Also, cant remember who said it but i think rooney is guaranteed a first team place. When a pleyer such as rooney has to fight for a place, thats when you have to buy a bigger trophy cabinet.
Fergy has stated that Smith will play his natural position next season....
mancred
Report 12 years ago
Link? Even if thats true, does not fill me with confidence. I rate smith above saha, and alan smith is a great player, his mentality is one i would wish every player to have, but is he going to bang in 20-25 goals this season, we will have to wait and see, i just think there are more options in the transfer market than alan smith. If he were to pair up with rooney i would be happy, but i would definiely want to see smithy sitting just in front of rooney, rather than the other way around.
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
If utd are going to sell van the man off for just 8 to 10 mil thats shocking. hopefully carrick deal is done this week.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
You really would do that? But why?:eek:

Imagine playing at 'Ashburton Grove'! :puke: :p:
If I'm playing to my full potential/best style at a different club, even if it is a rival, then that has to be good for your playing career. But if I knew I'd do well at Chelsea I'd jump on the chance should they be interested. Plenty of professional players have played for rival teams who they support - Sol Campbell and Jamie Carragher are two I believe.
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
wats ur point?
Rafa
(Original post by mancred)
Link? Even if thats true, does not fill me with confidence. I rate smith above saha, and alan smith is a great player, his mentality is one i would wish every player to have, but is he going to bang in 20-25 goals this season, we will have to wait and see, i just think there are more options in the transfer market than alan smith. If he were to pair up with rooney i would be happy, but i would definiely want to see smithy sitting just in front of rooney, rather than the other way around.
i dont have a link mate...Fergy said it at the end of last season...stating that its was something which he tried out.....
Rafa
If utd are going to sell van the man off for just 8 to 10 mil thats shocking. hopefully carrick deal is done this week.
hopefully we'll get 15-17 million
Rafa
Jose Mourinho believes Cristiano Ronaldo will have no problem coping with the English press next season.

Ronaldo has been vilified by the English media for his part in Wayne Rooney's sending off during England's World Cup defeat to Portugal.

The Manchester United winger has been blamed in some sections of the media for calling on the referee to send Rooney off for his stamp on Ricardo Carvalho.

The incident has raised doubts over Ronaldo's future at Old Trafford with the player thought to be worried about what type of reaction he will receive in England.

United insist Ronaldo is going nowhere and Mourinho feels the tricky wide-man will have to win back the favour of the press by performing on the pitch.

"If he is to be in England he will have to turn things in his favour," Mourinho told O Jogo.

"I find that football players must speak very little and play a lot.

"He must be calm and make it work.

"His trainer and colleagues must support him and I do not believe he will have problems."

Mourinho, who is a big admirer of Ronaldo, has warned the former Sporting Lisbon star that he may have to leave United if he wants to be successful.

"He is a great player, full of potential and ambition," added Mourinho.

"I do not speak much with him, but as our representative is the same they circulate messages between us.

"I have already said to Jorge Mendes (the pair's agent) that if he wants to be a champion, he is better to leave Manchester.

"If not he stays there for at least another year."
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
jose can stick it where the sun dont shine. we will be champions soon.
Rafa
jose can stick it where the sun dont shine. we will be champions soon.
lol...yeh i hope so
martynwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My sources are saying that the deal to bring the West Brom keeper will be sealed within the next couple of days, with Carrick to “follow soon after.”

They also say we are definitely making moves for Fernando Torres, and that developments in Italy are being watched very closely.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (206)
18.61%
No (673)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.6%

Watched Threads