The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
mancred
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I cant see torres finding inter a more attractive prospect than united, i think the premiership is a much more appealing league especially after the relegations. I would rather he went to inter than come to united having wanted to go somewhere else. Thats why i am annoyed at ronaldo, wanted to leave, then declares his love for the club, i dont want players playing for united unless they love playing for united.
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
mancred ur pm to me was very gud i have to say. i will reply as soon as all applicitaions are in.
non-centrally acting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has reviewed his current striker situation, and has revealed that he plans to play Alan Smith as a forward when the ex-Leeds man returns from injury.

Smith suffered from a horrific leg break in The Red Devils' FA Cup tie with Liverpool last season, but Ferguson is now planning the 25-year-old's role in his side for when he makes his recovery.

Smith, a striker in his time at Leeds, made a controversial £7 million switch across the Pennines in 2004 and originally started his Old Trafford career in attack.

The England international was pressed into a midfield role to try to compensate for the loss of Roy Keane, but he could now revert to a striker again.

"We are going to convert Alan Smith back into being a forward," said the Scotsman.

"He will be back in training soon and should be available by the end of August or the beginning of September."

The tenacious Yorkshireman has already demonstrated his skills in front of goal for United, having scored four times in his first five appearances for the club.

Ferguson had been expected to make a move for a new striker in the current transfer window, but is now seemingly looking to juggle his current options, rather than splash out on a new signing.

"We have Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney and we are considering keeping Giuseppe Rossi with us, even though I would prefer him to go out on loan for six months," he continued.

Despite Ferguson's striking situation being aided by the return to fitness of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, his side have been linked with a number of big names this summer, including Tottenham's Jermain Defoe, Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres and David Trezeguet of Italian side Juventus.

His side are likely to be without Ruud van Nistelrooy next season, who is the subject of a rejected bid from Spanish giants Real Madrid, and his imminent departure has prompted many a link with some of Europe's biggest names.
but he doesnt exactly score many goals though! :s:
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
smith can score goals, not many. i think saha is a 20 goal a season player personally. Martin williams said we would sign carrick and kuzack this week. times ticking away.
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From manutd.com:

Walsall 1 United Reserves 1

A second-half equaliser from Paul McShane earned United's Reserves a 1-1 draw against Walsall at the Bescot Stadium.

The 20-year-old Irish defender glanced home a header after 66 minutes to level Kris Taylor's first-half opener for the hosts.

With the Reserves rendered managerless by Rene Meulensteen's departure to Brondby, Brian McClair took the reins in his second spell as caretaker manager.

Reds keeper Tom Heaton produced a wonderful one-handed save to deny Hector sam, but was helpless to stop Taylor's angled right-foot shot on 34 minutes.

United pressed for an equaliser, but were unable to forge any clear-cut openings before the interval. Then, six minutes after the hour-mark, McClair's side drew level as McShane glanced in Michael Barnes' cross-***-shot inside a packed penalty area.

Both sides had chances to snatch the win, with Fraizer Campbell denied by a tremendous last-ditch challenge from Ian Roper, while Saddlers striker Martin Butler headed against the crossbar in the final minute.

United's young Reserves will be satisfied with their solid pre-season start, while the game's major plus came through Floribert Ngalula's return from a hip injury after almost a year on the sidelines.

United: Heaton (Crockett, 46), Gray, Rose, McShane, Shawcross, R Jones, Marsh (Barnes, 46), Ngalula (Burns, 46), Campbell, Martin (Hewson, 60), S Evans (Mullan, 46).
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
not too arsed about the reserves lol. some good players in there but lets hope we sign mids soon guys. I'm getting worried utd wont sign a mid.
Rafa
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
United suspect Real of illegal approach for Van Nistlerooy

MANCHESTER UNITED’S hard-line stance with Real Madrid over Ruud van Nistelrooy has been intensified by a distrust of the new regime at the Spanish club, whom United suspect of making an illegal approach to the Holland forward.

The Barclays Premiership club are unlikely to report Real, with an agreement over a transfer fee regarded as beneficial for all parties, but ill feeling has crept into negotiations between the clubs as they haggle over the terms of the expected £13 million deal.

The United board has been unhappy with Real’s conduct since it emerged that a verbal agreement had been reached with Van Nistelrooy’s agent, Rodger Linse, over a three-year contract. Their frustration is with Real, rather than Linse, and it has grown over the past 48 hours with the Spanish club’s unwillingness to meet a £15 million asking price at a time when Sir Alex Ferguson’s hopes of replacing Van Nistelrooy with Fernando Torres are receding because of Atlético Madrid’s resistance.

Predrag Mijatovic, the new Real technical director, has proposed success-related payments to bridge the shortfall over Van Nistelrooy — such as an extra ¤goalscorer in La Liga next season — but United are holding out for a guaranteed sum, mindful of what happened when David Beckham joined Real in 2003, with the Spanish club’s failures over the past three seasons leaving them with at least £2 million less than the projected £25 million fee.

Despite United’s unhappiness, Ramón Calderón, the new Real president, sounded comfortable with the situation yesterday. “We just have to wait with regards to Van Nistelrooy,” Calderón said. “From what Mijatovic has told me, the player wants to play for Real Madrid. Manchester United will want to obtain as much money as possible and that is logical.”

Real have signed Fabio Cannavaro, the Italy defender, and Emerson, the Brazil midfield player, for £13.7 million from Juventus. Barcelona, the Spanish champions, have kept pace, with the signings of Lilian Thuram and Gianluca Zambrotta expected to be completed next week for a combined . Gianluigi Buffon’s agent says that the goalkeeper will play for Juventus next season despite relegation to Serie B for their part in the Italian match-fixing scandal. Pavel Nedved, the Juventus midfield player, has also claimed that he will stay at the club.

United hope to exploit the situation in Turin, with Ferguson mulling over the idea of signing Patrick Vieira, on a free transfer or a loan, but their hopes of doing so remain unclear. One inquiry by an agent to Juventus this week was met by a firm insistence that Vieira will “not be going back to England”.

United’s attempt to sign Michael Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur is in limbo, with the impasse over a fee showing no sign of lifting. Ferguson originally planned to sign two midfield players, but the manager has hinted twice while in South Africa on his team’s pre-season tour this week that the Juventus situation has complicated Carrick’s prospects of moving to Old Trafford.

Complicated might also sum up United’s plans to sign Torres. They believed a week ago that the forward might be lured for about £25 million, but on Tuesday, Atlético dismissed an informal offer from Inter Milan in excess of that sum and insisted that they will not sell for less than the £41.5 million release fee stipulated in the player’s contract.

MANDELA VISIT

FOR many members of the Manchester United squad, the highlight of the South Africa tour came yesterday when they met Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg. The former South Africa president was presented with a United shirt, inscribed with the number 88, the age he turned on Tuesday, as well as a giant volume of the club’s history and a signed photograph of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
ah hello rafa, my day doesnt start without reading the news posted by u m8. Torres 41 mil waaaaaay over board. Plz sign carrick fergie, were going to run out of time.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr power)
It seems to me that NDGAARONDI is an utd fan. He spends most of his time in this soc giving his opinions about utd. its ok we all kno u dont like chelsea.

p.s. its a pity they dont have a chelsea soc
We don't need one. Same goes for Liverpool and Arsenal. I've given more opinions about Arsenal and Spurs than Man Utd you'll find. :laugh:
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
We don't need one. Same goes for Liverpool and Arsenal. I've given more opinions about Arsenal and Spurs than Man Utd you'll find. :laugh:
whys that i wonder:p: . hardly ne chelsea fans here to woo their opinons on chel$ki.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
whys that i wonder:p:
Mainly winding L'Arse up since my biggest rivals aren't in the Premiership, though they think they are.
Rafa
ah hello rafa, my day doesnt start without reading the news posted by u m8. Torres 41 mil waaaaaay over board. Plz sign carrick fergie, were going to run out of time.
lol....
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
Mainly winding L'Arse up since my biggest rivals aren't in the Premiership, though they think they are.
lol they need to buy a defender desperately.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol they need to buy a defender desperately.
Yep and they might be without Cole. :eek:
Rafa
Yep and they might be without Cole. :eek:
yep Arsenal arent looking too good at the back....
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
yep Arsenal arent looking too good at the back....
Depends if you think Gael Clichy is good enough.
Rafa
Depends if you think Gael Clichy is good enough.
looks a decent player...they just lack experience at the back now....mind you they had a good defensive record last year in the Champions Leauge.....
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
clichy is injured.
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
i dont tink arsenal will be in any gr8 position to challenge utd. also lfc are getting a bit ahead.
Rafa
i dont tink arsenal will be in any gr8 position to challenge utd. also lfc are getting a bit ahead.
yeh they had a good season last year....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.03%
No (459)
72.97%

Watched Threads