Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))
    yeh i just posted it :p:...doesnt anyone read my news
    but its not here!!

CALL it wishful thinking, call it amateur psychology, call it desperation, but Sir Alex Ferguson believes that a more open Barclays Premiership title race might be in prospect this season because of Chelsea’s growing preoccupation with the Champions League.

Whether or not his team are equipped to profit from such a situation is open to question — with Ruud van Nistelrooy on the verge of leaving for Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, Cristiano Ronaldo continuing to agitate and with no reinforcements having arrived to date — but the Manchester United manager, while not accusing José Mourinho of taking his eyes off the prize, has little doubt that Chelsea’s signings of the experienced Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko point towards a more Europe-orientated strategy.

“They’ve added two very experienced players to their squad and they’re talking about signing Roberto Carlos. I think I can understand that in terms of their European challenge or the European hopes they have,” Ferguson said yesterday during United’s pre-season tour to South Africa.

The United manager cited the experience gained in the World Cup finals by Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo as important for their development and that of the team. Questions remain, though, as to whether Ronaldo will be at the club when the Premiership season starts next month, having made clear his desire to move to Real. There are questions, too, about how to replace Van Nistelrooy, who is expected to move to Real for about £13 million but is also attracting renewed interest from Bayern.

Ferguson has identified Fernando Torres, the young Spain forward, as the man to replace Van Nistelrooy, but a first firm inquiry to Atlético Madrid on Wednesday resulted in the confirmation that United may have to break the British transfer record — the £31 million Chelsea paid AC Milan for Shevchenko — to get him. Torres, 22, is Ferguson’s preferred choice, but he knows that the United board cannot contemplate triggering the £41.5 million release clause in the player’s contract and he is being forced to consider alternatives.

With Van Nistelrooy going, Ronaldo restless and the situation over the midfield no closer to resolution — the long-running bid to sign Michael Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur has been put on hold while United wait to discover whether a player such as Patrick Vieira could be lured from Juventus after the Italian club’s relegation — these are testing times for United.

i skim read it! but its not there :p: and yes we do read your news

ReputationRep:
    yeh i hope so...i mean last time we where poor and missed a lot of chances....im just looking for a convincing win this time...its all good so far...2 games 2 wins 2 clean sheets
    Yeah I hope so too, I fancy us to do better this game purely because the team we're fielding don't normally play together and they're getting better as time progresses. Another clean sheet would be nice, although this tour really isn't that important considering the lack of the majority of our first-choice players. I'm just looking forward to the LG Amsterdam Tournament

ReputationRep:
    Mr power and Lopez are the same person.

(Original post by darth_vader05)
    but its not here!!

CALL it wishful thinking, call it amateur psychology, call it desperation, but Sir Alex Ferguson believes that a more open Barclays Premiership title race might be in prospect this season because of Chelsea’s growing preoccupation with the Champions League.

---------
    With Van Nistelrooy going, Ronaldo restless and the situation over the midfield no closer to resolution — the long-running bid to sign Michael Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur has been put on hold while United wait to discover whether a player such as Patrick Vieira could be lured from Juventus after the Italian club’s relegation — these are testing times for United.

i skim read it! but its not there :p: and yes we do read your news
    read the one about south africa ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    Kaiser Chiefs won
    oh

i'm not really concerened about Ole scoring, but want to see more than one goal

Is Richardson fit to play?

Yeah I hope so too, I fancy us to do better this game purely because the team we're fielding don't normally play together and they're getting better as time progresses. Another clean sheet would be nice, although this tour really isn't that important considering the lack of the majority of our first-choice players. I'm just looking forward to the LG Amsterdam Tournament
    exactly....and yeh i cant wait for Amsterdam Tournament too...Arsenal are in it too i heard

oh

i'm not really concerened about Ole scoring, but want to see more than one goal

Is Richardson fit to play?
    hes got a shin injury i think...but i dont think its that serious...dunno if he'll play though....

ReputationRep:
    exactly....and yeh i cant wait for Amsterdam Tournament too...Arsenal are in it too i heard
    I think you heard wrong http://www.lgamsterdamtournament.com/

ReputationRep:
    read the one about south africa ...
    I thought you had double posted Will do :p:

Ben Foster has a really long kick doesnt he!! :eek: I keep on getting him confused with the other keeper in reserves

I think you heard wrong http://www.lgamsterdamtournament.com/
    oops my bad....my weird Swedish cousin told me....that should be a fun Tournament ...i cannae wait lol

I thought you had double posted Will do :p:

Ben Foster has a really long kick doesnt he!! :eek: I keep on getting him confused with the other keeper in reserves
    i know dude...absolutley amazing...got a great left peg on him....i think he'll be great for us in a couple of seasons....

ReputationRep:
    hes got a shin injury i think...but i dont think its that serious...dunno if he'll play though....
    i dont think fergie will risk him. do you think giggs should play on the left or in the middle?

i dont think fergie will risk him. do you think giggs should play on the left or in the middle?
    id like to see him back on the wings to be honest....ive seen that when Scholes and Giggsy play together in the middle Scholsey plays really deep like a Defensive Midfielder...id like to see Giggsy on the wings and Scholsey in a more advanced position....and maybe Fletcher playing the holding role......

ReputationRep:
    id like to see him back on the wings to be honest....ive seen that when Scholes and Giggsy play together in the middle Scholsey plays really deep like a Defensive Midfielder...id like to see Giggsy on the wings and Scholsey in a more advanced position....and maybe Fletcher playing the holding role......
    Fletcher! :eek: I've not watched the preseaon friendlies, but last season he got on my nerves at times. He doesn't seem confident on the ball and wants to quickly pass it to someone else! (But he'll always be remembered for his goal against chelsea )

Giggs did a good job in the middle towards the end of last season, but I'd also prefer him on the left.

ReputationRep:
    yer fletcher covered a lot of ground the other day dont u think. he was out wide but he was infield a lot.

ReputationRep:
    ollie you're a leader again. hope you are better.

ReputationRep:
    will vidic make the new season start?

Fletcher! :eek: I've not watched the preseaon friendlies, but last season he got on my nerves at times. He doesn't seem confident on the ball and wants to quickly pass it to someone else! (But he'll always be remembered for his goal against chelsea )

Giggs did a good job in the middle towards the end of last season, but I'd also prefer him on the left.
    well Fletcher is the only player who can do that job for us right now...i mean we dont have anyone else.....*thinks back to the Chelsea goal*

(Original post by Mr power)
    will vidic make the new season start?
    im hoping our center back partnership is Rio and Wes...

ReputationRep:
    in the centre?, i think pique cud do a good job there personally.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.