Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

(Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Van Der Sar? Good signing in comparison to other keepers we once had. Louis Saha's looking more and more like his 12 million we paid him for as well IMO.

Tbh, contrary to belief from what most Man Utd supporters think I believe Vidic looks alright.
    i agree with you mate..i think weve finally found the right keep in Edwin Van Der Sar and Louis Saha is looking like a Premiership player again....Nemanja Vidic is supposed to be a good strong center back and i think he'll be a fantastic player for us along with Patrice Evra i just think they both need to be given a bit of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafy)
    i agree with you mate..i think weve finally found the right keep in Edwin Van Der Sar and Louis Saha is looking like a Premiership player again....Nemanja Vidic is supposed to be a good strong center back and i think he'll be a fantastic player for us along with Patrice Evra i just think they both need to be given a bit of time.
    But Van Der Sar surely has only a season or two left in him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Maybe, maybe not, but Crossley still plays at 36 and Nigel Martyn is still going strong at 40. Goalkeepers seem to go on longer these days.

(Original post by LH)
    i think hes still got another 2-3 seasons which will give us some time to nature Tim Howard and aslo young Luke Steele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Does everyone remember when there were so many people stating you can't buy the premiership? How things change as soon as a team is successful.

Man Utd were no different before, with a host of Multi million pound signings - Veron, Ferdinand, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy. What's different between Man Utd & Cheslea?

Best ratio based on money V success, would be Arsenal. Not much money spent wih a few trophies. Can't say the same for either Man Utd or Cheslea.
    I agree that arsenal have won stuff without spending much money but how can you compare man utd's success to that of chelsea's? We built our success around youth by bringing in youngsters from the reserves and not by bringing in multi million pound signings just to warm the benches and preventing them from going to their rivals.

Our success was build on a global marketing strategy which we were able to do due to our success on the pitch and this strategy gave us the money required to purchase the players. When did we rely on some billionaire to put in so much cash for fun? Our finances were alyways limited whereas chelsea's are unlimited and they can sign any player in the world as long as the player and club agree.

(Original post by Mithun)
    I agree that arsenal have won stuff without spending much money but how can you compare man utd's success to that of chelsea's? We built our success around youth by bringing in youngsters from the reserves and not by bringing in multi million pound signings just to warm the benches and preventing them from going to their rivals.

Our success was build on a global marketing strategy which we were able to do due to our success on the pitch and this strategy gave us the money required to purchase the players. When did we rely on some billionaire to put in so much cash for fun? Our finances were alyways limited whereas chelsea's are unlimited and they can sign any player in the world as long as the player and club agree.
    Aye, it was the home-grown core of the team, (Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and the Nevilles) that won us our trophies in the late 90s.

the time when we won the treble in 1999 was with a squad of home grown talent and thats something everybody will find hard to repeat..you just dont get a huge collection of brilliant youngsters at the same time as we did back then with the likes of Giggs,Scholes,Butt,Beckham,Nevil les...and its something chelsea will never do as long as they have Roman Abromavich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafy)
    Evra is disastrous! He makes too many mistakes, and as I've mentioned before does many "kamikaze" defensive decisions! It's funny, but not amusing when it always seems to lead to a shot on goal for the opponent!

(Original post by Tangalicious)
    Evra is disastrous! He makes too many mistakes, and as I've mentioned before does many "kamikaze" defensive decisions! It's funny, but not amusing when it always seems to lead to a shot on goal for the opponent!
    i think he needs time to get useto the Premiership pace...hes a class full back and has proven that with that Monaco.

Just to go off topic for a moment, does anyone know the latest news on Solskjaer? I've heard that he's doing very well in the reserves but I'd really like to see him back in the first team again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafy)
    i think he needs time to get useto the Premiership pace...hes a class full back and has proven that with that Monaco.
    I will not disagree, yet I will say this - a class player will need to prove that he's got class anywhere that he goes. Thus far, Evra's not done it for me yet - nor has he done it for Fergie, that's why he's not playing!

Btw, Saha did it again! My god, 2 goals! AMAZING LAD!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)

Man Utd were no different before, with a host of Multi million pound signings - Veron, Ferdinand, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy. What's different between Man Utd & Cheslea?
    My thoughts exactly. Everyone is quick to point out that Chelsea paid £24m for Essien and Carvalho, £21m for Drogba and SWP, £17m for Duff, £12m for Robben etc etc but Man Utd paid £29m for Veron, £26m for Rooney, £30m for Ferdinand, £19m for Van Nistelrooy and £12m for Ronaldo, plus they would have had Ronaldinho for £25m if he had picked them over Barcelona, and Robben if he had picked them over Chelsea.

And you may have won the treble with 3-5 of your youngsters playing, but lets not forget it was Keane captaining your side up until the final, Schmeichel in goal, and Sheringham and Solksjaer who scored the goals that won it for you.

(Original post by Pineappolis)
    Just to go off topic for a moment, does anyone know the latest news on Solskjaer? I've heard that he's doing very well in the reserves but I'd really like to see him back in the first team again.
    Ole was doing pretty well for the reserves and had another injury..hes fractured his Cheekbone and will be out for 8 weeks.

(Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    My thoughts exactly. Everyone is quick to point out that Chelsea paid £24m for Essien and Carvalho, £21m for Drogba and SWP, £17m for Duff, £12m for Robben etc etc but Man Utd paid £29m for Veron, £26m for Rooney, £30m for Ferdinand, £19m for Van Nistelrooy and £12m for Ronaldo, plus they would have had Ronaldinho for £25m if he had picked them over Barcelona, and Robben if he had picked them over Chelsea.

And you may have won the treble with 3-5 of your youngsters playing, but lets not forget it was Keane captaining your side up until the final, Schmeichel in goal, and Sheringham and Solksjaer who scored the goals that won it for you.
    all im saying is that Man Utd didnt get rich over night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafy)
    all im saying is that Man Utd didnt get rich over night!
    No idea how long it took to float under the stock exchange but that's usually brought up when people criticise Chelsea because they didn't earn their money as if life has to be 100% meritocratic all of a sudden. So much for the National Lottery. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithun)
    We built our success around youth by bringing in youngsters from the reserves and not by bringing in multi million pound signings just to warm the benches and preventing them from going to their rivals.
    Only because they came through all at the right time. So you never bought Cantona, Schmeichel etc? People forget that teams want success quickly not in decades time so they will fork out the cash on established players to do the trick. And look at your youth system now, at least Chelsea are doing something about theirs with the signing of Frank Arnesen etc.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Only because they came through all at the right time. So you never bought Cantona, Schmeichel etc? People forget that teams want success quickly not in decades time so they will fork out the cash on established players to do the trick. And look at your youth system now, at least Chelsea are doing something about theirs with the signing of Frank Arnesen etc.
    what do you mean look at our youth system now:confused: ...have you even taken a look at our hot prospects...here i'll give you a list;

Giuseppe Rossi
    Pique
    Lee Martin
    Markus Neumayr
    Floribert Ngalula
    David Jones
    Darron Gibson
    Richard Jones
    Phillip Bardsley
    Luke Steele
    Chris Eagles

ReputationRep:
    You missed Darren Fletcher have you not?

You missed Darren Fletcher have you not?
    hes not exactly a youth player is he? i was talking about our reserves...but if your mentioning our hot young prospects in the first team then;

Darren Fletcher
    Kieren Richardson
    Wayne Rooney
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    John O'Shea

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Frank Arnesen bought so he would go out and find the best youngsters other clubs have produced? Thats not a youth policy in my eyes. And for the £8m you spent on him, who has he found you? It couldn't possibly be that you bought him just so Tottenham couldn't have him, could it?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.