What is the correct grammar in this sentence?

Watch
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm not sure whether to the apostrophe after or before the 's' in the word 'firms'. Could someone help me out?

I have chosen [Law firm] because of the firms culture, -------- and outstanding reputation in corporate practice.
LukeyJB
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I have chosen x because of the firm's culture.

Say the sentence out loud, you would say "the firm-s culture" not "the firms-is culture".
DeceitfulDove
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Before the s, as you are talking about the culture belonging to the firm. If you put it after, you'd be referring to multiple firms
ladymarshmallow
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
In this case, you must put the apostrophe before the s because you are referring to a single firm. If you were referring to multiple firms, you would place the s after it.
Howbeit
Rep:
Thanks very much everyone!
Red one
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
How on earth are you a PS helper? :teehee:
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RobertWhite)
I'm not sure whether to the apostrophe after or before the 's' in the word 'firms'. Could someone help me out?

I have chosen [Law firm] because of the firms culture, -------- and outstanding reputation in corporate practice.
Before the 's'
User1310602
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Me no know.
Howbeit
Rep:
(Original post by Red one)
How on earth are you a PS helper? :teehee:
To be fair I haven't done PS help for a while! Generally, my grammar is quite sound but considering this is an application to a law firm I wanted to make sure I got everything right. Good point though...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (117)
34.31%
Yes - a trusted person (92)
26.98%
No (90)
26.39%
I'm not sure (42)
12.32%

Watched Threads