New Fish! Help!

Watch
killerjane
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

Someone bought me two coldwater little fish (look like goldfish) for a secret santa present. I kept them in a tiny bowl yesterday and today bought a 24L starter tank, complete with filter. I've heard all sorts about cycling the tank and how essential it is, but I have the fish NOW and don't want them to suffer too much.

Any advice on cycling and how to best care for them under the circumstance?

Thanks!
hattiemcbinky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If they are goldfish, you will need to upgrade your tank, as they will outgrow a 24L tank very quickly. To be honest it wasn't a very practical/realistic secret santa present they got you.
petromasha
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They are going to need a much bigger tank, they produce a lot of waste and in small volumes of water that can cause problems. However, they are hardy so they'll probably do ok while the tank is cycling with them in it. Make sure you're treating the water and doing very regular water changes to avoid the problems that come with overstocking and small water volumes. You might find they end up with black patches or fin issues, usually to do with the water quality, ammonia burns etc. The only way to deal with that in a small tank is very regular quite large water changes and make sure you're not overfeeding. You can buy test strips for aquarium water but I don't see the point in this case tbh as you'll be changing water too often.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads