It's the first day of winter! Solstice-religion connection too coincidental? Watch

User990473
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In the winter solstice, the sun moves so slowly that you can't determine what day it is from tracking it. In total, it's seen to move up to around 1 degree over the 3 days it is stationary.

Don't Christians find it 'convenient' that the sun appears to stop moving for 3 days and then is 'resurrected' again on the 25th December? Was this a very not-so-subtle tribute from the almighty? Or is it just that once upon a time people saw the sun stopped moving and anthropomorphically interpreted this as the savior that was 'the light of the world' had died because they didn't understand the science of it?

Merry Christmas!
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oooh I like your way of thinking. Very similar to mine. :borat:
nyan~
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Feels like it's been winter for ages already tbh
User990473
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
Oooh I like your way of thinking. Very similar to mine. :borat:
Just less gif orientated
Talking of which, don't each of your posts come with a gif-included-guarantee? I want my money back! :fuhrer:

I'll be interested to hear what religious people think of this. Of course, it tends to be that they ignore arguments that they don't like :sadnod:

(Original post by nyan~)
Feels like it's been winter for ages already tbh
That's because you haven't had me spooning you to keep you warm silly! :yep:
nyan~
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)

That's because you haven't had me spooning you to keep you warm silly! :yep:
Oh yeah, silly me :sly:
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Occams Chainsaw)
Just less gif orientated
Talking of which, don't each of your posts come with a gif-included-guarantee? I want my money back! :fuhrer:
Sorry no refunds! You break, you buy. :huff:

I'm abstaining from gifs. :pierre:

I'll be interested to hear what religious people think of this. Of course, it tends to be that they ignore arguments that they don't like :sadnod:
I was just about to answer your first sentence with your second sentence until I realised your second sentence is your second sentence. :borat:

My guess is they would probably hold pagan religions responsible. From my limited knowledge of Pagan religions, I know Zoroastrianism (said to be the world's oldest monotheistic religion) associates god with fire and sun. This particular religion is said to have heavily influenced today's three monotheistic world religions.

Have you seen this picture of Stonehenge? It's the Winter Solstice sun rise. Pretty damn cool, and absolutely ****ing freaky.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No real winter until snow falls down!
Kreme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Robbie242)
We need moar.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh I had such an argument about this on my Facebook recently

A pretty "religious" Muslim person was saying how Muslims Shouldnt celebrate Christmas because of the beliefs surrounding it yadda yadda yadda whilst also not being consistent...

Pretty hypocritical guy though... Ive now been blocked lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
Sorry no refunds! You break, you buy. :huff:

I'm abstaining from gifs. :pierre:

I was just about to answer your first sentence with your second sentence until I realised your second sentence is your second sentence. :borat:

My guess is they would probably hold pagan religions responsible. From my limited knowledge of Pagan religions, I know Zoroastrianism (said to be the world's oldest monotheistic religion) associates god with fire and sun. This particular religion is said to have heavily influenced today's three monotheistic world religions.

Have you seen this picture of Stonehenge? It's the Winter Solstice sun rise. Pretty damn cool, and absolutely ****ing freaky.
Noo! I want gifs. I'll reply to the pm later btw... Need to sit down and rant it out

Imo Christmas is such a secular thing these days that I guess it doesnt "matter" so much

I mean yesterday I was watching a kids program (horrible histories ) and they showed thay on the 28th children would be beaten in the past to remind them of King Heralds rule

They dont really do that now as its become pretty secular in nature

Aargh. I need to rant so I'm going to the dreaded religion forums

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (297)
60.37%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.88%
No- I want it (135)
27.44%
No- I don't want it (36)
7.32%

Watched Threads