"Right on sister!" or "Should have let the police deal with it"

Watch
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://gawker.com/woman-publicly-sha...3297/@neetzanz

Alisha Hessler says she'd never met Gabriel Urena before Saturday night.
Hessler, 20 of Tampa, had gone out clubbing with two friends, and they invited Urena to join them.
On the ride home, Hessler says she and Urena were both in the backseat when he began making unwanted sexual advances toward her.

Advances turned to groping, according to Hessler, and she was eventually forced to strike Urena to get him to stop.
"I did hit him first and then all of a sudden that's when he started beating me repeatedly, punching me," she recalled, "until I had a broken nose and a concussion."
The following morning, Hessler phoned the police and asked to file a report, which she eventually did. She was then taken to a nearby hospital, treated, and released.
It was later that night that Hessler had a sudden change of heart.
Hessler found Urena's Facebook, and saw that he had expressed remorse over the beating.
"Lastnight (sic) was a wake-up call," he wrote. "I seriously need change."
Hessler was moved enough to offer him a way out: She agreed not to press charges if he agreed to sit with a dunce cap near a busy intersection for eight hours holding a sign that read, "I beat women. Honk if I'm a scumbag."
Urena agreed.
"I didn't want him to be locked up for a year. I honestly don't think that would teach him anything," Hessler told My Fox Tampa.
The alternative punishment was not well received by battered women advocate Mindy Murphy.
"There's so many problems with this," she told ABC Action News. "Women die every day at the hands of abusers. Sexual assaults occur every day. The fact that we've got a guy sitting in a dunce cap with a sign on the side of the road really is trivializing a serious issue."
Tampa police have attempted to reach Hessler several times since, but they say she has refused to return their calls.

So, was this an appropriate teaching a lesson to someone who was clearly full or remorse, or something that should have been left to the police to decide?

Padwas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i would have let him do it then pressed charges
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
HONK!!!
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
She was stupid for letting him pass. Because he beat her that seriously, he will do that again to another woman.
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The lucky got a lucky break, he deserved jail for beating someone.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
I think this is a great punishment, I'm a fan of ritual humiliation, but for a lesser crime. Something as serious as this should be left to the courts I think. Making a FB status about seeming sorry is no guarantee whatsoever that he won't be doing it again.
Piko_Piko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Padwas)
i would have let him do it then pressed charges
What do you think the likelihood is of having him charged for sexual assault?
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Piko_Piko)
well start with assault charges then move on to sexual assault.
Piko_Piko
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Padwas)
well start with assault charges then move on to sexual assault.
What I mean is that it's very unlikely that the police would have pressed charges if she'd let him grope her.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
I thought he meant let him do the punishment THEN go to the police? :confused:
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, I think the police should have got involved and he should get a proper punishment. By all means, if he's truly remorseful give him a lesser punishment than someone who's not, but the fact is he did attempt to rape someone and should suffer more severe consequences than a few hours of public humiliation.

Having said that, I'm not going to criticise the woman herself because she was the one actually in that situation, and not me.
Padwas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
yes that is what i meant i just got confused lol
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think this is a great punishment, I'm a fan of ritual humiliation, but for a lesser crime. Something as serious as this should be left to the courts I think. Making a FB status about seeming sorry is no guarantee whatsoever that he won't be doing it again.
Would you say the same thing if a woman had hit a man?
Piko_Piko
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah I get it now.
That would have been the clever thing to do.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
....]
The guy clearly has problems and needs help. However I think the police should've punished him instead. Her punishment was stupid, and I don't think it will result in any change.
alexmagpie
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ridiculous. Also, this needs a trigger warning, at the very least spoiler the picture.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiss)
Would you say the same thing if a woman had hit a man?
I said it would be a great punishment for a lesser crime e.g if a someone cheats on their partner (man OR woman) and would do anything to get back with them.

OK so cheating isn't a crime, but you get my drift. I have no objections if it's a man or a woman.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah I get it now.
That would have been the clever thing to do.
No, that would've been a ****ing stupid thing to do, and it would probably make his problem worse.
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What I mean is that it's very unlikely that the police would have pressed charges if she'd let him grope her.
I hardly think she 'let him' grope her. That's at least sexual harassment if not assault, surely?

In response to OP, I'd of pressed charges if it were me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think he's remorseful, he just made the Facebook status to avoid prosecution. The punishment was silly; why embarrass yourself like that? I don't understand how people commit beatings or murder, then to say they feel bad. Just don't do it in the first place.

It's like those stupid driving awareness courses after people get done for speeding. Just give me a ticket and I'll pay it, I'm not going to a ****ty course for hours on end and being treated like a child.

It was an easy escape
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads