The Student Room Group

Very irritated by gay uncle

My uncle, who is old and has children and is an evangelical Christian, has recently come out of the closet and said he's gay. That's absolutely fine, I'm happy for him if that's what he wants.

But I've found that all he seems to want to do is talk about gay stuff, and how he feels about his own coming out and his own experience. And he's changed in ways that I really don't like, his sense of appropriateness and decorum is altered for the worse, he says things that are really too much information.

I was at a pre-Christmas lunch thingy yesterday (or today, as it would be in London... I'm in Sydney atm). I didn't hear the end of it for hours and hours, and he never once asked how I'm doing or how my law studies are coming along etc or how I'm finding being back in Oz for the holidays

Perhaps it irritates me more because I'm gay and have been for years now, I just think it should be one small part of your personality. I know he's still new to all this, but freakin hell, I don't really want to hear about every aspect of his gayness. I dare say, he has the zealotry of the convert, and probably the same enthusiasm as when he became a born-again Christian.

Has anyone else had this experience with people who are newly come out of the closet?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I think you blew your cover :smile:
Original post by RedArrow
I think you blew your cover :smile:

Ha, he's rather unlikely to come on TSR. The internet is a big place, and the back story is important.
Presumably he knows you're also gay? Maybe that's why he tells you so much - he feels you'll understand and appreciate where he's coming from. Especially as he's a Christian and probably moves in mostly church circles - maybe they're not as accepting of him as he would like, and he feels he can't talk to them about it all.
I haven't experienced that personally, but I have heard stories about it before. It's rather odd, isn't it :erm:
Original post by Musie Suzie
Presumably he knows you're also gay? Maybe that's why he tells you so much - he feels you'll understand and appreciate where he's coming from. Especially as he's a Christian and probably moves in mostly church circles - maybe they're not as accepting of him as he would like, and he feels he can't talk to them about it all.

I suppose so, but I don't feel like the fact that we both like the same gender necessarily gives us a shared experience or any particular bond.

A good example of what caused my pique, and related to that, is my half-brother accidentally took my wine glass and I jokingly said "Stop thief, bring back my wine". So he brought it back, and my uncle said, "You wouldn't want to drink from the same glass as a gay man, would you?" (by gay man, he meant me, though it was obviously connected with his newfound gayness).

It's totally unnecessary, my half-brother is no homophobe. And it irritates me that he can speak on behalf of my sexuality, simply because we both happen to be gay.
Reply 6
Sounds like he is too preoccupied with himself. Next time he gives out too much information, just tell him that there is really no need for that.
He needs to chill out a bit. I doubt the society cares about what he does in the bedroom.
I have never experienced that, but I saw what you're talking about on TV.
Reply 7
Original post by MostUncivilised
My uncle, who is old and has children and is an evangelical Christian, has recently come out of the closet and said he's gay. That's absolutely fine, I'm happy for him if that's what he wants.

But I've found that all he seems to want to do is talk about gay stuff, and how he feels about his own coming out and his own experience. And he's changed in ways that I really don't like, his sense of appropriateness and decorum is altered for the worse, he says things that are really too much information.

I was at a pre-Christmas lunch thingy yesterday (or today, as it would be in London... I'm in Sydney atm). I didn't hear the end of it for hours and hours, and he never once asked how I'm doing or how my law studies are coming along etc or how I'm finding being back in Oz for the holidays

Perhaps it irritates me more because I'm gay and have been for years now, I just think it should be one small part of your personality. I know he's still new to all this, but freakin hell, I don't really want to hear about every aspect of his gayness. I dare say, he has the zealotry of the convert, and probably the same enthusiasm as when he became a born-again Christian.

Has anyone else had this experience with people who are newly come out of the closet?

Well maybe now you'll see why people get annoyed with Gay Pride - including gay people.

As for you Uncle, I would place doubts on his sexuality if he's that concerned about the need to appear gay in front of others.
meh i've seen it before from other people who have recently come out as gay, constantly putting status updates and continuously making jokes referring back to it, even up to a year before they relaxed a bit. i suppose you might know better, but if he has been in the closet for a long time, it might have been a greater worry for him so now he feels able to express it, he's a bit over enthusiastic with it. i dunno. i wouldn't get so irritated by it.
Reply 9
Original post by Kreme
Sounds like he is too preoccupied with himself. Next time he gives out too much information, just tell him that there is really no need for that.
He needs to chill out a bit. I doubt the society cares about what he does in the bedroom.
I have never experienced that, but I saw what you're talking about on TV.

I would just interrupt him whilst he is talking and start talking about puppies.
Original post by Kiss
Well maybe now you'll see why people get annoyed with Gay Pride - including gay people.

As for you Uncle, I would place doubts on his sexuality if he's that concerned about the need to appear gay in front of others.

Straight people go on about relationships and sex all the time, but it isn't an issue. There's a huuuuge double standard there. I'm gay and I do have a problem with people wearing very little in public etc and being silly, but I'd rather not hear about the personal lives of anyone (gay or straight) in graphic detail.
Reply 11
Original post by SoftPunch
I would just interrupt him whilst he is talking and start talking about puppies.

He will just start talking about gay puppies. Lol.
Reply 12
Original post by Kreme
He will just start talking about gay puppies. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMvHyVmcI6I
You're right.
Reply 13
Original post by Kiss

Yeah. I bet his uncle is a latent heterosexual doing this for attention.
Reply 14
Original post by Maid Marian
I haven't experienced that personally, but I have heard stories about it before. It's rather odd, isn't it :erm:

Helloo. Maid Marian.
Reply 15
It's the same as anything else that people consider to be a new-found part of their identity (especially angsty, attention-seeking teenagers, they'll find anything to set them apart and never shut up about it - I'm sure I was one at times); it'll become less of a big deal in time. Unfortunately you're going to have to tolerate it to a degree until then. I might say something to him about it but I'd be very careful not to piss on his bonfire. He's probably got enough of an emotional rollercoaster going on right now. Having too much of a stern word would be like kicking an overexcited puppy.
Reply 16
Original post by Ronove
It's the same as anything else that people consider to be a new-found part of their identity (especially angsty, attention-seeking teenagers, they'll find anything to set them apart and never shut up about it - I'm sure I was one at times); it'll become less of a big deal in time. Unfortunately you're going to have to tolerate it to a degree until then. I might say something to him about it but I'd be very careful not to piss on his bonfire. He's probably got enough of an emotional rollercoaster going on right now. Having too much of a stern word would be like kicking an overexcited puppy.

I think he just needs this. Jk
Reply 17
Original post by Kreme
Yeah. I bet his uncle is a latent heterosexual doing this for attention.

Yeah, I bet the old man just suddenly decided to troll. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending