ScienceNerd123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hellloo after an appauling paper is As ( D in one paper and a B in another ) I have decided to repeat. In A2 the use of quotes is compulsory but in As would it help with marks for knowledge or is it just wasting my time? I am on the CCEA board (northern ireland ) thanks ScienceNerd123
damian0612
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quotes show many things including independant research and are useful for reinforcing your argument. However, many people use them too often and without any need. Therefore select your quotes to suit your argument, and dont overuse them. Remember, you can paraphrase often so that quotes aren't used too often. Food for thought: a lecturer once told me to only quote if u can't say it better urself. So basically when u quote you want it to make an impact.

Also, check out the ccea history gcse revision notes that may help u, even though they are for gcse they are useful, available on amazon and in ni libraries. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, have you looked at the CCEA examiners' comments? They do give quite detailed feedback on what they were looking for - for instance, for Summer 2012, option 5, Germany 1918-1945 (see below).

They seem to be looking for contextual knowledge rather quotes?

"As in previous series, this was by far the most popular option, attracting an entry of 2,109 candidates. With such a large entry, there was inevitably a wide range of standard, ranging from outstanding to very weak.

Generally speaking, the quality of the answers to Q1(a) was lower than for Q1(b). While strong responses focused closely on the reasons for the Nazis’ rise to power between October 1929 and 30 January 1933, some weak answers concentrated almost entirely on the period prior to the onset of the depression in October 1929. There were many good responses to Q1(b). However, a significant number of candidates went beyond the dates of the question, discussing Nazi racial policies in the period 1940–45. Another common shortcoming was to omit significant events such as the Nuremberg Laws (1935) or the impact of Crystal Night (1938) on the Jews in Germany. Many otherwise good responses made no reference to the creation of the Reich Central Office for Jewish emigration in January 1939.

While there were many good or very good answers to Q2(a), a minority of responses showed significant weaknesses in source technique. In particular, a number of answers completely ignored the content of the source in assessing its utility. Candidates must systematically evaluate the utility of the source by focusing on its content, date, author, mode, motive, audience and tone. Many answers did not focus on the specific wording of the question and considered the utility of the source only in terms of the “Night of the Long Knives” on 30 June 1934. Many good responses did not achieve maximum marks because they were unable to offer any relevant contextual knowledge.

In Q2(b) candidates were presented with the proposition that the “Night of the Long Knives” was the most important factor in the creation of the Nazi dictatorship between 30 January 1933 and 2 August 1934. This question produced some outstanding responses but also some weak answers which relied heavily or exclusively on the information contained in the sources. Other responses did not fully exploit all the evidence in Source 3 to discuss the proposition. A small minority of candidates failed to do themselves justice because they failed to refer to all three sources."
JamesyC
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ScienceNerd123)
Hellloo after an appauling paper is As ( D in one paper and a B in another ) I have decided to repeat. In A2 the use of quotes is compulsory but in As would it help with marks for knowledge or is it just wasting my time? I am on the CCEA board (northern ireland ) thanks ScienceNerd123
I took that exam years ago and didn't use quotes, but I also added a lot of stuff that wouldn't have been part of the curriculum and most likely wouldn't have counted, not sure if that has changed now.

The best way to pass it with good marks is to learn as much as you can, keep things in context. Its not just about ticking boxes, the more you know about the subject, the more stuff you can write about within the context of the question. I was lucky enough I had a massive interest in the subject. I watched World at War, very old but very good documentary series. Anything that was relevant to the exams, I looked up the newest information to make sure it wasn't too outdated.
damian0612
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JamesyC)
Its not just about ticking boxes, the more you know about the subject, the more stuff you can write about within the context of the question

I see what you are trying to say here, but it actually is in fact all about ticking boxes (thus the existence of a marking scheme), and it is how to tick the box in terms of getting an A grade. It isn't about knowing lots about the subject, although the more you do know will help you, it's about knowing what you know well in terms of analysis.
ScienceNerd123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you for all your help and it seemed to pay off! Got my results yesterday and moved from a D to and A whoop whoop

niamh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads