The Student Room Group

Can I Retake My Final Year After My 2:2?

I'm a mature student and didn't screw around. I worked four jobs and studied full time. My final grade was 2:2 but until my third year I was on path for a First. I had materials stolen and project work vandalised, all of which is on record at the university... I'm Police Staff now and would like to complete an MSc, but do find options limited... Any advice here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
How long ago was your final year?

I have a few friends, who by their own admission didn't try their hardest in their last year and came out with a 2:2, so straight away repeated the year, some with 2:1 and others getting a 1st. I guess you would need to contact the uni you went to and see if this is possible?
Reply 2
Original post by RWM1974
I'm a mature student and didn't screw around. I worked four jobs and studied full time. My final grade was 2:2 but until my third year I was on path for a First. I had materials stolen and project work vandalised, all of which is on record at the university... I'm Police Staff now and would like to complete an MSc, but do find options limited... Any advice here?

First advice would be to learn to live with the 2:2 or drive yourself mad for the rest of your life. You should have submitted to the uni for mitigating circumstances at the time. Either you didn't, or you did and they were rejected. Certainly a retake of the third year in that situation wouldn't be entertained at my current uni once the final result was declared, but it's up to the individual organisation. Only the uni can tell you, so you need to ask them direct.

With a 2:2 you can get onto a PGCert at some unis, which is the taught element of a Masters. Some will allow you to progress to the dissertation and graduate with a full Masters if your coursework is good. My advice would be to look into that option. If you were on for a First and had mitigating circumstances for the low third year result, then you should be able to muster a couple of excellent references, which will go a long way in your favour. A couple of my undergrad colleagues with 2:2s have gone this route and completed their full Masters in September.

Your situation narrows your choices, but doesn't make it impossible to get a Masters. Instead of using your energy trying to correct the past, in your place, I'd focus more on what I could do in the future.
transfer 240 credit to open uni then do year 3 in open uni and get degree with open uni.

open uni degree is 2nd bestt degree after oxford brooks degree.

good luck im proud of u.
No University with any credibility would allow you to retake any aspect of your degree once the degree has been awarded.

End of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending