The Student Room Group

Ladies; is it true that women actually LIKE guys with a sensitive side?!

Have I/we just been blinded by a plethora of BS material on the Internet about 'what women want'? I mean I always thought it seemed a bit dumb to generalise every single woman's emotional desires…

Let's put aside the countless threads I've made and may make, I've had a moment of clarity. At this moment in time, I am sensitive and there's nothing wrong with that, I can be confident in that it's not a weakness. (cool story bro, I know, why tell the world that)

I appreciate that being a pushover isn't attractive and there is sometimes a need to be tough-namely to be responsible and take control when **** happens or things need getting done. But is it true, we men would not be looked down upon for saying how we feel and what's going through our minds (to an extent) to close female friends or our partners?
I keep swinging between wearing my heart on my sleeve and putting myself through mental tests to prove I'm thick-skinned and mentally tough. I would like to think there can be a balance, and that balance can actually be equal.

I want to know what your personal preferences are :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Look, Im going to help you out here

1) WHY do you GO on those websites if they make you anxious? Stay away. They're written by neckbeards with fedoras.

2) Women like different things. Some do, some don't

3) You are right
Yes :smile:
Reply 3
regardless of who votes it is impossible to generalise as peoples own personal opinion must be take into account not to mention tsr does not attract the models most men hunt after ( no offence meant to the women of tsr you are all more beautiful than those types of women but I'm taking my own generalisation lol )
There's nothing wrong with having a sensitive side. I wouldn't want to date a guy with steel cold emotions.
Reply 5
I'd like a guy with a sensitive side, I find it endearing.
Yes but not too much as to be a doormat..
Reply 7
Being considerate = absolutely essential - meaning being insensitive is a definite turnoff - but being sensitive = majorly puts me off too. Just try normal confidence, humour and tact.

I also hate women who are "sensitive" though, so it has nothing to do with you really. I may hate it so much because in my experience, so in the case of the few "sensitive" people I know, it was always paired with self-centredness, a lack of confidence and emotional instability, which altogether is just a really BAD combination.

If you are truly a normal, confident person, it would probably not be a turn off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Look, Im going to help you out here

1) WHY do you GO on those websites if they make you anxious? Stay away. They're written by neckbeards with fedoras.

:P
I have an unintentional neck beard which I'm still trying to shave, but that's besides the point :coat:

It's hard to stay away. Most articles relating to men available on the Internet are anti-sensitivty frankly

2) Women like different things. Some do, some don't

3) You are right

^^^
Reply 9
Original post by Padwas
you didn't even need to post we all know how you think by now ( MONKEYS ) :smile:

No need to give Maid Marian stick, she's helped me in the past and I'd like to think she speaks truth.

And no I am not white knighting, I don't even know her :face palm:
Reply 10
I generally dislike people who are so wrapped up in the gender binary that they think it should dictate every aspect of themselves. Emotion = good, although often too much emotion can be a little much if you don't know someone well or in certain situations.

Having honest conversations with my boyfriend about feelings is an important part of our relationship and I love that he isn't afraid to show emotion.
A lot of the time really sensitive guys seem like grovelling pushovers and that is not attractive. Sensitivity is called for in certain issues, but there is a middle ground in between being a pushover and a macho man.
I love it when my fiance gets all sensitive. It's my favourite day of the year :wink:

I'd hate to be with someone who felt they couldn't say what they were feeling.
Here's an idea, stop trying to work out women reading and studying internet articles and studying female reaction on tsr. Women are like men in the sense they are idividuals, what one woman like will be different from the next.
Depends on the girl.

Personally, I do :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Riku
No need to give Maid Marian stick, she's helped me in the past and I'd like to think she speaks truth.

And no I am not white knighting, I don't even know her :face palm:

1- not stick lol the monkeys is something else
2- i never said anything about you whitenighting simply that you can not get a full understanding of women from tsr alone
Reply 16
Let's put it this way, because it's really not that hard a concept to grasp...

"An emotional side": bad. Nobody wants their OH coming home from work and crying their eyes out because they got a paper cut.
"Compassionate and honest": good. Somebody who will not kneel to your every whim, but will be honest if they've had a bad day and will make you bed in breakfast when you're feeling ill.

That is not something that should be bolted to either gender.
Reply 17
Original post by BAD AT MATHS
Here's an idea, stop trying to work out women reading and studying internet articles and studying female reaction on tsr. Women are like men in the sense they are idividuals, what one woman like will be different from the next.

Yeah but most men I've met have been, or at least appeared in public, much less sensitive than me :s-smilie:
Original post by Riku
Yeah but most men I've met have been, or at least appeared in public, much less sensitive than me :s-smilie:

A lot of the time you will find many men are a lot more sensitive than they appear, they perhaps just don't express it like you do.
Reply 19
Original post by CJKay
Let's put it this way, because it's really not that hard a concept to grasp...

"An emotional side": bad. Nobody wants their OH coming home from work and crying their eyes out because they got a paper cut.
"Compassionate and honest": good. Somebody who will not kneel to your every whim, but will be honest if they've had a bad day and will make you bed in breakfast when you're feeling ill.

That is not something that should be bolted to either gender.

Yeah, agree with the first.
If I'm honest-> I didn't sleep properly because I had a bout of paranoia when I got home from a party at 1 which made me feel weak and cowardly. This also had to do with not wanting to drink out of concerns for that anxiety, which again makes me feel weak/cowardly. Also stressing about coursework and time management when there are lots of socials going on which I feel obliged to attend as one of my responsibilities, and not going to them to focus on work, is weak/cowardly. This list goes on most days.

I don't know how to tell her this.

Latest

Trending

Trending