The Student Room Group

Importance of GCSE's..?

I have 3 C's and an A at GCSE so far. 2 of the C's can't be repeated so I'm stuck with those - the 3rd C is Maths, I was initially sitting the foundation paper so that's all I could get but I'm resitting on the higher paper, the A is English Lit, but I'm resitting that for an A* because the English's are really my only chance for A* grades. I'm predicted mostly B's, and I'm really worried.

Potentially (emphasis on potentially), I think I could come out with 2 C's, 3 B's, 5 A's, 2 A*'s
The C's already mentioned above, and the 3B's consisting of ICT, Sociology (I find it really boring so I find it difficult to remember any of the key dates, names, perspectives and such) and Additional science (I could be sitting the foundation paper so an A would be impossible, and the B would only be possible with an A* on ISA)..

At A-Level I'm planning to take English literature, English language, French and Maths. I want to be an English teacher, but I want to study English and French - and teach English in France for a few years before I go back to England.

After looking into universities a lot a few months ago I'm really interested in Birmingham, Warwick, York, Newcastle and Southampton (in order of preference).

I realise A-Levels are more important, but I want to do well in GCSE's too - especially considering I've already let myself down with 2 C's. I'm mainly concerned about Science, Sociology, Geography and Maths. I can easily get a B in Maths but I know I could also get an A*..I find it really easy when I'm doing something specific, but find it hard to remember formulae in exams - I struggle with Circle theorems though, and I sometimes get confused about where to use Sine /Cosine rule, SOH CAH TOA, Pythagoras etc. With Sociology its essay technique and memorising what each of the main perspectives are without having to remember lots (Marxism, Functionalism, New Right and Feminism), then with Geography its mainly about memorising the boring stuff - I like human geography and always do really well in it, but I find physical geography boring, and I can't for the life of me remember anything about rivers..

Considering I want to go to a decent university, I want good grades, I don't want to come out with mainly B's.. I know I'm definitely not a genius, but I want to have a somewhat impressive application when it comes to university..

Any advice? (And help with the subjects I mentioned I struggle with). Also, do the universities I've mentioned focus a lot on GCSE results? I know they all say they don't, but Durham and that do so I was just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by staticas
I have 3 C's and an A at GCSE so far. 2 of the C's can't be repeated so I'm stuck with those - the 3rd C is Maths, I was initially sitting the foundation paper so that's all I could get but I'm resitting on the higher paper, the A is English Lit, but I'm resitting that for an A* because the English's are really my only chance for A* grades. I'm predicted mostly B's, and I'm really worried.

Potentially (emphasis on potentially), I think I could come out with 2 C's, 3 B's, 5 A's, 2 A*'s
The C's already mentioned above, and the 3B's consisting of ICT, Sociology (I find it really boring so I find it difficult to remember any of the key dates, names, perspectives and such) and Additional science (I could be sitting the foundation paper so an A would be impossible, and the B would only be possible with an A* on ISA)..

At A-Level I'm planning to take English literature, English language, French and Maths. I want to be an English teacher, but I want to study English and French - and teach English in France for a few years before I go back to England.

After looking into universities a lot a few months ago I'm really interested in Birmingham, Warwick, York, Newcastle and Southampton (in order of preference).

I realise A-Levels are more important, but I want to do well in GCSE's too - especially considering I've already let myself down with 2 C's. I'm mainly concerned about Science, Sociology, Geography and Maths. I can easily get a B in Maths but I know I could also get an A*..I find it really easy when I'm doing something specific, but find it hard to remember formulae in exams - I struggle with Circle theorems though, and I sometimes get confused about where to use Sine /Cosine rule, SOH CAH TOA, Pythagoras etc. With Sociology its essay technique and memorising what each of the main perspectives are without having to remember lots (Marxism, Functionalism, New Right and Feminism), then with Geography its mainly about memorising the boring stuff - I like human geography and always do really well in it, but I find physical geography boring, and I can't for the life of me remember anything about rivers..

Considering I want to go to a decent university, I want good grades, I don't want to come out with mainly B's.. I know I'm definitely not a genius, but I want to have a somewhat impressive application when it comes to university..

Any advice? (And help with the subjects I mentioned I struggle with). Also, do the universities I've mentioned focus a lot on GCSE results? I know they all say they don't, but Durham and that do so I was just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For English at University GCSEs aren't as important, than let's say, Medicine. But they can be a deciding factor for top University's and getting good grades poses no hindrance to a university application. You've already achieved some fantastic GCSE results. Personally I would just focus on (as a minimum) of getting higher than a B in everything and would aim for A*s for the subjects you think you'll get As in, then aim for As in the subjects you'll think you will get Bs in. Remember just aim high as then you will be more likely to achieve higher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Warwick gave me an offer for Maths with GCSE grades of 2B 5C 4Dist* 1 Merit

so I think they are quiet lenient, though it varies from subject to subject
Reply 3
did anyone sit the international gcse edexcel exam in june 2013 ? if so do you remember the question that came under, of mice and men and inspector calls ?
Reply 4
Original post by Robbie242
Warwick gave me an offer for Maths with GCSE grades of 2B 5C 4Dist* 1 Merit

so I think they are quiet lenient, though it varies from subject to subject

Thats got my confidence up a bit, applied for sociology (less competitive than yours I'm guessing) with AAB Distinction at as. and average GCSE's, but afraid that my gcses would hold me back. They wanted ABB anyways hadn't heard back yet though.

Quick Reply

Latest