Transgenders and Sports? Watch

bestofyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is the deal with transgenders and sports?

Obviously not at professional level, but at a competition level, for example BUSC sports, are they allowed to compete?

I've always been quite good at football when playing in teams of other males, against other males. I was a midfield general. But recently I've decided I am going to have a sex change.

I am just wondering if I am able to play on the women's teams before I fully complete the process?

I imagine that most men will not want me on their team if I look like a girl. And as I am likely to dominate the women's game I suspect they might get annoyed that I am 'really' a guy and still have a penis (for the time being).

So what exactly are the rules on those, both post and pre-operational transsexuals?
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hm. On a discriminatory level, you should be able to play on the womens' teams pre-op...but from a biological perspective, your build and levels of testosterone would put you at an unfair advantage on the womens' team. I'm not sure where they draw the line, maybe when you start receiving hormone treatments? - you'd probably have to request, since it's not really an addressed issue so I'm not sure if they have a universal rule.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Isn't oestrogen usually taken during these procedures? Doesn't that make you more like a woman? I don't know if that makes you weaker or whatever the politically correct way of connoting that particular difference between men and women. I have no idea if you lose upper body muscle mass through oestrogen. If this happens then I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed on.
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bleep. Initializing response, line 0000101001.

There should be no gendered teams anyway.
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)

Ye I agree, I wouldn't mind fumbling about with women whilst playing rugby :perv:
member1201401
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Seems like an unfair advantage to me, but you'd probably still be allowed to play. There are some professional transsexual (m-f) athletes.
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Then no women would play university sport at all. I was a semi-competent university athlete as a male but my PB in the 400 would rank 7th among all women currently competing. Sports are gender segregated for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think transgender pre-ops should be able to play on the team with the gender they associate with since it'll give them either a huge advantage over other players or make them a hindrance to the team. Post-op is debatable but pre-op definitely not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.84%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.68%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (83)
35.47%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.34%

Watched Threads