The Student Room Group

What is everyone's dream medical school/ top choice?

Just want to know what everyone's top choice is and why :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mine would probably be imperial or kings because I love the location!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
London Met
Reply 3
Imperial would be mine, that if I ever do well in my GCSE, or ever in Maths and Science.
Warwick: great course, convenient location, grad only cohort, respected institution. Loved everything about the place after the open day.
****ing lol, focus on getting in ANYWHERE and consider yourself lucky. you med applicants are in for a slap in the face when you apply.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
****ing lol, focus on getting in ANYWHERE and consider yourself lucky. you med applicants are in for a slap in the face when you apply.

For people with a life outside of wanting to study medicine there is more to choosing a university than them simply offering the degree.
Reply 7
To be honest, I'd go to Imperial, Sheffield or Leeds and be absolutely over the moon at all three just for getting in. But if I get offers from Imps and Sheffield I'd struggle to choose between them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's unusual for people to have a "favourite choice" for medicine...
Reply 9

Totally agree with you .
Manchester hopefully - great course, great city, great university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with having a favourite? As long as they're realistic about their chances.

I am also reluctant to label those that do get in, "lucky"; if they do enough research, prepare well and apply wisely then they're in for a real chance, which I wouldn't put down to luck.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
What's wrong with having a favourite? As long as they're realistic about their chances.

I am also reluctant to label those that do get in, "lucky"; if they do enough research, prepare well and apply wisely then they're in for a real chance, which I wouldn't put down to luck.

I think that's more of an expression than a literal statement nowadays. It translates more to being in a good position and being of the envy of others, rather than actually having more luck than another candidate. Though there probably is some element of luck simply because of the sheer volume of excellent candidates - I'm sure which interviewer you have (by chance) can make or break your application depending on whether you click, what their personal preferences are, etc. I do generally agree with you though.

But anyway, if I could get an offer from anywhere it would be Edinburgh. It's one of my favourite cities in the UK, the university is beautiful and they balance the course in terms of teaching methods. Unfortunately, it's almost 500 miles from me so I won't be applying there!
Original post by maskofsanity
I think that's more of an expression than a literal statement nowadays. It translates more to being in a good position and being of the envy of others, rather than actually having more luck than another candidate. Though there probably is some element of luck simply because of the sheer volume of excellent candidates - I'm sure which interviewer you have (by chance) can make or break your application depending on whether you click, what their personal preferences are, etc. I do generally agree with you though.

But anyway, if I could get an offer from anywhere it would be Edinburgh. It's one of my favourite cities in the UK, the university is beautiful and they balance the course in terms of teaching methods. Unfortunately, it's almost 500 miles from me so I won't be applying there!

Oh, I know it's not usually used literally.
Still irritates me though :tongue:

Why let distance put you off? During term time I'm over 400 miles away from home but you don't really notice it.

I have applied there and I live 450 miles away!! If you get a plane, and book well enough in advance it can be rather cheap and is VERY quick! (door-to-door was 5 hours for me due to waiting times etc!) My plane to Edinburgh cost less than my train to Leeds!!
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Oh, I know it's not usually used literally.
Still irritates me though :tongue:

Why let distance put you off? During term time I'm over 400 miles away from home but you don't really notice it.

I'll be self-funding a second degree so travel costs will add up, plus the option to live at home and commute to university in the later years will be impossible at that distance. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers etc. :moon:
Imperial because i went to Summer School there and i absolutely loved it :') but dreams have been crushed now because of that pathetic admissions test arghhhh :angry:
Reply 17
Plymouth! Great course , great attitude of the staff , great location , everyone is just so friendly
It'd genuinely be a dream come true for me to get a place at any medical school - but there's still nothing wrong in having a favourite! Ambition is not a bad thing!

Problem is 3 of my 4 uni's are equal in my mind so it's hard to decide which I'd prefer

But I only have to think about that if I get multiple offers, which would be an incredible position to be in - no point thinking about it till/if that happens haha :smile:
I'll be self-funding a second degree so travel costs will add up, plus the option to live at home and commute to university in the later years will be impossible at that distance. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers etc. :moon:

Ah, I see (I'm afraid I thought you were an undergrad moving away for the first time - sorry!).
Yeah, 500 mile commutes don't sound too friendly :p:

Hope it goes well (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending