The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

A society for people who like Star Wars, Star Trek, The Matrix, Lord Of The Rings, Serenity etc. This thread is for discussion on the latest sci-fi/fantasy releases and also for sharing your views on any great works of the past.

This society also extends to literary works, comics etc (Spawn, X-Men) and gaming.

Co-leader for the society is Jayk_bakner.

You can apply to join here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php

SCI - FI/ FANTASY GEEKS HALL OF FAME

Here are some pictures of our noble members in their utmost glory geekiness.

Darkened Angel
Demon_AS
Jayk_bakner
Wiggles
yo-less
Alex G 1 and 2

Featured member: clomoo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ME! I'm a complete Geek at heart... dragons, magic, lasers - love it all :biggrin:
Sci fi geek yeah; sci fi and fantasy are amazing! :smile:
Reply 3
bullyfish
ME! I'm a complete Geek at heart... dragons, magic, lasers - love it all :biggrin:

You forgot dungeons!! :biggrin:

And me be proud to be a sci-fi geek. Firefly/Serenity (as people may or may not have guessed) are my favouritists.
Reply 4
*Raises hand* Yep, sounds like me. Except for the "geek" part. I've always played too many sports to be a geek :p:.

But I do love a bit of Fantasy/Sci Fi - from books, to films, to even games! Final Fantasy series is fantastic (with the possible exception of FFX-2, which was merely "good" :wink:). :top:
Reply 5
Demon_AS
*Raises hand* Yep, sounds like me. Except for the "geek" part. I've always played too many sports to be a geek :p:.

Hey, hey! Me and Yo-less had a massive (well, it was 3 PM's, but still...) conversation about this, and the word you're thinking of is 'nerd'. Nerds are almost invariably geeks, but geeks aren't necessarily nerds. Wiki it, to see what I'm talking about :biggrin:
Reply 6
Wikipedia isn't considered to be a very reliable source of information :wink:. I'm not a geek or a nerd - I'm a fairly intelligent, sporty, bookish, game-loving, musical person :biggrin:. I don't try to classify myself :p:.

I don't think I'm geekish or nerdish - I certainly don't share certain shared characteristics with the two groups when one envisages the stereotypes :biggrin:.
Reply 7
Demon_AS
Wikipedia isn't considered to be a very reliable source of information :wink:. I'm not a geek or a nerd - I'm a fairly intelligent, sporty, bookish, game-loving, musical person :biggrin:. I don't try to classify myself :p:.

I don't think I'm geekish or nerdish - I certainly don't share certain shared characteristics with the two groups when one envisages the stereotypes :biggrin:.

Fair enough! I'm similar, vaguely sporty, fairly intelligent etc. Although not musical... I just kinda accepted the label, as it's been thrown at me ever since people spotted me reading Phillip K Dick books when I was 11... *sigh*

Oh well! Best to get on with life, I say :biggrin:
Reply 8
Haha, that's decent. I only say I'm musical because I play the guitar :biggrin:. Sports-wise, I play almost every sport that's common in England :biggrin:. Books-wise, well, Sci fi and Fantasy do me just fine. Games - FF, Kingdom Hearts and Shadow Hearts for the PS/2. Great games!

Intelligence... well, I'm sure it's down to the individual, but I'm not stupid :biggrin:.

Who knows? Maybe all the above qualify me to be a geek or a nerd after all lol.
Reply 9
Lol I've always enjoyed the 'geek' vs 'nerd' concept. My original impression was that it was roughly book-nerds and computer-geeks. So if this soc is for the 'book-nerds' as well as the geeks, may I please join? :biggrin: (I couldn't find it on the soc list!!!)
I absolutely love fantasy and sci fi... LOTR is favourite book of all time (and I read loads..)
Anybody here liked 'Ender's Game'?

Demon_AS
Wikipedia isn't considered to be a very reliable source of information

What! I'm besotted with Wikipedia! You cut me deep, man.. real deep!
Reply 10
Ender's Game was top-notch! Fantastic book :biggrin:. What a twist at the end!

Wikipedia, I always thought, was pretty good... until my good friend told me it was very unreliable, and this opinion was supported by the rest of the class. I had used it as a reference for some material in an assignment, you see. Ever since then, I treat it with caution.
Demon_AS

Wikipedia, I always thought, was pretty good... until my good friend told me it was very unreliable, and this opinion was supported by the rest of the class. I had used it as a reference for some material in an assignment, you see. Ever since then, I treat it with caution.

Well..it doesn't help that half my friggin A level assignments I recently sent in to the exam boards had wikipedia all over them!!! :eek:
Reply 12
Lol, I was quite worried, too. I used it as my main source for my German coursework :eek:. Ah well, it'll all be alright, I'm sure.
Does anybody (or Demon_AS) think that the Ender series were sci-fi books with a strongly fantasy feel/aftertaste?
(Lol.. though I'm sure that counts for a good deal more scifi books than the Ender series! And vice versa...:biggrin:)
Reply 15
Demon_AS

But I do love a bit of Fantasy/Sci Fi - from books, to films, to even games! Final Fantasy series is fantastic (with the possible exception of FFX-2, which was merely "good"). :top:

What blasphemy. Jayk_bakner, I know this fellow and I can certify that he is a geek :wink:

Craghyrax
Lol I've always enjoyed the 'geek' vs 'nerd' concept. My original impression was that it was roughly book-nerds and computer-geeks. So if this soc is for the 'book-nerds' as well as the geeks, may I please join? :biggrin: (I couldn't find it on the soc list!!!)

I haven't made the society official yet. I was waiting to see how the response was.

Let's straighten this out first... Are we nerds or geeks? :eek: :>.<:
Reply 16
I'm a geek, pure and simple
Reply 17
Though some of you may not value Wiki, I'll throw these into the mix, as they're what me and yo-less used as our determining factors (mostly):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

I won't say anything just yet...
jayk_bakner
Though some of you may not value Wiki, I'll throw these into the mix, as they're what me and yo-less used as our determining factors (mostly):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

I won't say anything just yet...

I think i'm more of a looser than those types.... and I love it!
Be happy with who you are; that's what matters; I don't care if i'm a geek or a nerd!

Quick Reply

Latest