The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

Hey Jayk, if your around, I remember you saying that you were a DM for a few years in D&D games, what books would a beginner need to get into the game? And do you know of any good places to play online... I've done a search for some, and couldnt find any.

And would anyone be interested in playing if its possible?
Reply 221
bullyfish
Hey Jayk, if your around, I remember you saying that you were a DM for a few years in D&D games, what books would a beginner need to get into the game?

Ooooh! A question I can answer :biggrin:

Okay, you'll need the three core rulebooks in order to start your own game:

The Player's Handbook
The Dungeon Master's Guide
The Monster Manual

You can pick up these for about £11 each.

(you can also buy the three books in a neat set, although - rather bizarrely - on Amazon it's SIGNIFICANLTY cheaper to buy the three seperately, so unless you want to pay £10 for a neat little box to keep the books in, you should probably buy them seperately :biggrin:)

You'll also need some dice. Pretty much all hobby shops sell 'em (I've only found one that doesn't sell them...but they did allow you to order them and pick 'em up...), so seek one out and ask for some (this is the ideal solution; usually the people who own them are avid gamers, and they can actually be pretty helpful when you're just starting out)! eBay also have an enormous amount of people selling them, so if you can't find a hobby shop, you can give them a shot. Ideally - particularly if you're planning on playing with a few people - you should procure:

4 x 4-sided dice
6 x 6-sided "
4 x 8-sided "
4 x 10-sided "
2 x 12-sided "
6 x 20-sided "

However, you can usually get by with only having one of each, although the above listings make it easier on everyone :biggrin:

And there you have it. The basic set for playing D'n'D! If you do get the books, make sure you give the Player's Handbook a thorough reading through, and take a quick glance through the DM's guide. The Monster Manual you don't HAVE to read, although some of the stuff on monsters is actually quite fun to read.

And that's it. Total cost to start playing D'n'D: about £50 - depending on how much you spend on dice. Have fun :biggrin:

bullyfish
And do you know of any good places to play online... I've done a search for some, and couldnt find any.

3rd Edition!

Great website for everything D'n'D. I haven't played online there, but they do have a forum-based system, which apparently is pretty entertaining.

Sorry for the inordinately long post...Hope it helps though! :smile:
jayk_bakner

Spoiler

Thanks a lot for all of that, although £50 does seem a lil expensive, i'll try and find some cheap copies on ebay. Just wish there were some people to play with in real life, although should find some at uni :smile:
yo-less
Ahh, my noble fleet. :cool: "I find your lack of faith disturbing".

If you face him I cannot interfere! :smile:
Reply 224
Mmm...the force is strong in this society :biggrin:
*Sparks crackle between his fingers, as arcs of electricty shoot out, striking all others, sensitive to the force, straight in the chest*

"I shall be the only Jedi here...."
Father! No! There is good in you, I can feel it! :p:
*Raises his lighsaber and cuts your head off*

"Nope, none at all, stupid Kid, why cant he been more into darkness and evil, than racing in canyons, and fooling around with old men"
yo-less
Oh my gosh aefiubrgiknerkn *fingers collapse in excitement*:biggrin:

We're official!

Erm... Yeah, I'm supposed to act dignified.

meh.. who gives a damn about dignity? :p: *does the hokey pokey* :wink: :cool:
Hehe! Oh thats rather silly. Rodney's the greatest
Reply 231
bullyfish

"Nope, none at all, stupid Kid, why cant he been more into darkness and evil, than racing in canyons, and fooling around with old men"

*Youngling surely? :wink:

You haven't seen my work of art, have you? :ninja:

yo-less
*Youngling surely? :wink:

Luke was hardly a youngling in TESB.... I would think older than his father when he became Lord Vader

*giggle* Vader the tranny :rofl:
bullyfish
Hehe! Oh thats rather silly. Rodney's the greatest

You'll love this one then-
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Atlantis052/Photoshop/McKay/gollum.jpg

:biggrin:
Check out my profile pick for the real Yoda! :p:
bullyfish

If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possible imagine! :p:
simatemcprimate
If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possible imagine! :p:

Yes, in the fact that you'll be a blue transparent person floating in mid air...
Demon_AS
I don't think I understand what your lack of time for reading has to do with your earlier comment about the books I mentioned spoiling your SWB (Star Wars Bubble) :p:.

*shrugs* Don't ask me to understand myself!!! :rolleyes:
yo-less
I used to love Flight 714 because there were aliens in it :biggrin:

I love aliens :blushing: I love most stuff with aliens in it infact :ninja:

Lol, that's def an interesting reason... I did find it rather good they way that Herge took the mick out of caveman paintings

Spoiler

with the stick-men astronauts and sculptures on that island! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending