Turn on thread page Beta

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the Wikipedia article i'm definately a nerd! But do have some geek like qualities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Does anybody (or Demon_AS) think that the Ender series were sci-fi books with a strongly fantasy feel/aftertaste?
    Lol, I've only read Ender's Game, but I think it had those kind of tendancies. Kind of like the old Star Wars books, which were absolutely fantastic! I loved the books...

Anyone here read the old school stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn, or the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson?

How about the new school stuff like the New Jedi Order?

My personal favourite series would be the X-Wing stuff by Michael A. Stackpole and I, Jedi by him. Great book, with my favourite character: Corran Horn .

Does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    What blasphemy. Jayk_bakner, I know this fellow and I can certify that he is a geek
    Oi! Lol... I am no geek :p:. I'm special. Yes, that's what I am :p:.
    I haven't made the society official yet. I was waiting to see how the response was.

Let's straighten this out first... Are we nerds or geeks? :eek: :>.<:
    To be honest... I don't really care . The rest of the world would probably call us geeks for liking Sci Fi & Fantasy, or nerds, according to the continent. Why not do away with both and simply become "The TSR Sci Fi & Fantasy Society"?

ReputationRep:
    I am unquestionably a nerd.. I won't hear anything else to the contrary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Lol, I've only read Ender's Game, but I think it had those kind of tendancies. Kind of like the old Star Wars books, which were absolutely fantastic! I loved the books...

Anyone here read the old school stuff like the Thrawn Trilogy by Zahn, or the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson?

My personal favourite series would be the X-Wing stuff by Michael A. Stackpole and I, Jedi by him. Great book, with my favourite character: Corran Horn .

All right! Another Star Wars books fan! I like all the old school stuff better than the New Jedi Order! I've read the thrawn trilogy and the Academy trilogy! Also i've got the hand of thrawn series; that's great as well!

ReputationRep:

I, Jedi! Is the best Star Wars book! EVER!!

Loved every page of it. It was just so well done!

I only half-heartedly read the X-Wing series, but I've done almost all of the New Jedi Order - although I had to put it on hold when I started reading The Wheel of Time. Damn cycle is so bloody long! And it's still not even finished! DAMN YOU ROBERT JORDAN! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson?
    Only star wars books i've read but loved them! Fantastic set of characters in that, and the proto-death star and sun crusher were just too cool for words!

ReputationRep:
    Ive read the first Robin Hobb trilogy and then the Liveship one also.
    Are the ones that come after it ("Fool's Errand" and the new one) worth reading? And how do they measure up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simatemcprimate)
    All right! Another Star Wars books fan! I like all the old school stuff better than the New Jedi Order! I've read the thrawn trilogy and the Academy trilogy! Also i've got the hand of thrawn series; that's great as well!
    Yes I remember those books. I think :confused:. You know, it's been almost a year and a half since I read the old stuff - I must get hold of some of those books. Most of Timoth Zahn's stuff, I thought, was excellent . Is The Hand of Thrawn the trilogy where Mara Jade and Luke get together? Or where they meet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayk_bakner)
    I, Jedi! Is the best Star Wars book! EVER!!

Loved every page of it. It was just so well done!

I only half-heartedly read the X-Wing series, but I've done almost all of the New Jedi Order - although I had to put it on hold when I started reading The Wheel of Time. Damn cycle is so bloody long! And it's still not even finished! DAMN YOU ROBERT JORDAN! :mad:
    I, Jedi was truly one of the grestest books out there . I loved it. Someone nicked my copy :mad:. Corran Horn is a brilliant character, and it's half the reason I loved the X-Wing series so much! They're all about Corran Horn . At least, the first four are. The second four are also great, but about a non-force sensitive guy called Kell.

On the subject of Jordan - the books just couldn't last long enough for me :p:. I loved 'em! I cannot wait until the last book - A Memory of Light - comes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullyfish)
    Only star wars books i've read but loved them! Fantastic set of characters in that, and the proto-death star and sun crusher were just too cool for words!
    If you enjoyed those, you would definitely enjoy the Grand Admiral Thrawn stuff by Timothy Zahn. Great books! Also, the New Jedi Order is a must-read if you want to find out what happens to the next generation Jedi . I don't want to spoil, but if you've read the Jedi Academy trilogy you'll know about Jacen and Jaina - oh, and little Anakin. It's all about their adventures, too .

I have to mention - did anyone read the books on Han Solo pre-A New Hope by A. C. Crispin? I only remember two - The Paradise Snare (1) and Rebel Dawn (3). Oh yeah! The middle one is called The Hutt Gambit. Excellent books, I thought, and all about our favourite, non-super-powered hero :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I remember those books. I think :confused:. You know, it's been almost a year and a half since I read the old stuff - I must get hold of some of those books. Most of Timoth Zahn's stuff, I thought, was excellent . Is The Hand of Thrawn the trilogy where Mara Jade and Luke get together? Or where they meet?
    Well they have to work together as a team and it's where they realise they are meant for each other and get together at the end!

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoyed those, you would definitely enjoy the Grand Admiral Thrawn stuff by Timothy Zahn. Great books! Also, the New Jedi Order is a must-read if you want to find out what happens to the next generation Jedi . I don't want to spoil, but if you've read the Jedi Academy trilogy you'll know about Jacen and Jaina - oh, and little Anakin. It's all about their adventures, too .

I have to mention - did anyone read the books on Han Solo pre-A New Hope by A. C. Crispin? I only remember two - The Paradise Snare (1) and Rebel Dawn (3). Oh yeah! The middle one is called The Hutt Gambit. Excellent books, I thought, and all about our favourite, non-super-powered hero :p:.
    Paradise Snare was the first Star Wars book i read and it introduced me to the whole collection! Good times!

ReputationRep:
    Well they have to work together as a team and it's where they realise they are meant for each other and get together at the end!
    Ah, yeah! I knew it was one or the other. There's on book where he first meets Mara, and she's trying to kill him as the last directive from the Emperor .

ReputationRep:
    Paradise Snare was the first Star Wars book i read and it introduced me to the whole collection! Good times!
    Good stuff . It was brilliant, wasn't it? The entire story was well written, and definitely explains a lot about Han Solo.

ReputationRep:
    The New Rebellion was the first star wars book i read didnt care for it as much as the thrawn trilogy then the academy trilogy then hand of thrawn duology then the last five books in the new jedi order. Still got to read survivors quest and loads of others. Not really lookin forward to the new SW books they sound like the Solos vs The Skywalkers. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing like that at all :confused:. The New Jedi Order, I mean. The only new Skywalker, really, is the Luke and Mara's son - Ben. I hope this doesn't spoil anything for anyone, by the way. And the Solos have always been close to the Skywalkers because Leia is married to Han! Lol.

On that note, one book I wanted to read was The Courtship of Princess Leia, which I never got around to. Has anyone read it? Was it good?

ReputationRep:
    A society for people who like Star Wars, Star Trek, The Matrix, Lord Of The Rings, Serenity etc. This thread is for discussion on the latest sci-fi/fantasy releases and also for sharing your views on any great works of the past.
    You forgot Stargate! :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm a huge fan of the older Stargate SG1 series, Stargate Atlantis is great too (but nothing compared to SG1), also love Firefly (seen about half of the series so far, love it! ), Dr Who is great, seen LotR a billion times, loved the first Matrix movie, I've seen Star Wars episodes 1 - 4 (not obsessed with it though), seen a few Trek episodes here and there, great series, like TNG the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    You forgot Stargate! :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm a huge fan of the older Stargate SG1 series, Stargate Atlantis is great too (but nothing compared to SG1), also love Firefly (seen about half of the series so far, love it! ), Dr Who is great, seen LotR a billion times, loved the first Matrix movie, I've seen Star Wars episodes 1 - 4 (not obsessed with it though), seen a few Trek episodes here and there, great series, like TNG the best.
    Ooo, stargate is a fantastic program, although has anyone seen the animated series? Caught that on sky a few months ago and it was absoulty dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullyfish)
    Ooo, stargate is a fantastic program, although has anyone seen the animated series? Caught that on sky a few months ago and it was absoulty dreadful.
    I saw an episode of it ages ago, didn't like it though, terrible series.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.