The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society Watch

Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Well, don't forget that I'm five books ahead of you, so I know the answers to a couple of the questions you have . You shouldn't spoil the books for yourself :p:. As for who killed Asmodean... well, I think it has to be one of the Forsaken, but something tells me that this is too obvious a choice. They'd have two reasons to kill him: firstly, he's a traitor for helping The Lord of the Morning :p:, and secondly the less of the Forsaken there are, the more chances of being named Nae'blis (or however it's spelt). So, it all *looks* like it's the Forsaken, but when it comes to obvious choices, I find that authors are often misleading and like to surprise. There's nothing I love more about books than being able to second-guess the author's intentions, so this leads me to hold my opinions well back and leave my conclusions open to change with every word and sentence, so any conclusion I do eventually reach is often correct . Bear in mind, that often I don't reach any conclusions... yes, I'm sitting on the fence :p:. So what?
wiggles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Spoiler:
Show
Well, don't forget that I'm five books ahead of you, so I know the answers to a couple of the questions you have . You shouldn't spoil the books for yourself :p:. As for who killed Asmodean... well, I think it has to be one of the Forsaken, but something tells me that this is too obvious a choice. They'd have two reasons to kill him: firstly, he's a traitor for helping The Lord of the Morning :p:, and secondly the less of the Forsaken there are, the more chances of being named Nae'blis (or however it's spelt). So, it all *looks* like it's the Forsaken, but when it comes to obvious choices, I find that authors are often misleading and like to surprise. There's nothing I love more about books than being able to second-guess the author's intentions, so this leads me to hold my opinions well back and leave my conclusions open to change with every word and sentence, so any conclusion I do eventually reach is often correct . Bear in mind, that often I don't reach any conclusions... yes, I'm sitting on the fence :p:. So what?
Spoiler:
Show
Five books ahead you say? So that means you've read book 11.... my friend who recommended the WoT books to me had read all 10 before I even started, but hasn't got round to reading 11 yet, but he promised when he did he'd tell me if Moiraine returned in it.... she's my favourite character you see, and at the moment I'm running low on motivation to carry on reading after book 6, as I've heard so many things about the series going downhill from there, and I could read about 5 regular size books in the time it takes me to read one WoT, lol. Anyway, my point is, if I know Moiraine's coming back, I'd want to read on, so when you say you have answers to a few questions that I don't.... does she come back?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wiggles)
Spoiler:
Show
Five books ahead you say? So that means you've read book 11.... my friend who recommended the WoT books to me had read all 10 before I even started, but hasn't got round to reading 11 yet, but he promised when he did he'd tell me if Moiraine returned in it.... she's my favourite character you see, and at the moment I'm running low on motivation to carry on reading after book 6, as I've heard so many things about the series going downhill from there, and I could read about 5 regular size books in the time it takes me to read one WoT, lol. Anyway, my point is, if I know Moiraine's coming back, I'd want to read on, so when you say you have answers to a few questions that I don't.... does she come back?
Spoiler:
Show
Listen, dude, I'm not big on spoiling things for people, because it ruins the enjoyment. I'll tell you this much, though. You know that letter Thom gets from Moiraine? Well, you get to read it in book 11 (you were right in assuming I'd read Knife of Dreams - I have ). The contents of that letter will answer that question about Moiraine - and a few other questions, to boot :p:.
wiggles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Ooooh, I'm excited already. Although the thought that I'm only halfway through after reading about 6000 pages is a bit daunting. But the Finns are probably my favourite mystery in the series, which is probably linked to Moiraine and Mat being my favourite characters (as well as Min). But Min's viewing does say that Rand needs Moiraine to be there at Tarmon Gaidon... so she really has to come back, lol. I'd love for Thom and Mat to launch a rescue mission for Moiraine, that would be so cool, but probably not that likely to happen. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to read on and find out.

Just out of curiosity, what are your favourite books of the series in order?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wiggles)
Spoiler:
Show
Ooooh, I'm excited already. Although the thought that I'm only halfway through after reading about 6000 pages is a bit daunting. But the Finns are probably my favourite mystery in the series, which is probably linked to Moiraine and Mat being my favourite characters (as well as Min). But Min's viewing does say that Rand needs Moiraine to be there at Tarmon Gaidon... so she really has to come back, lol. I'd love for Thom and Mat to launch a rescue mission for Moiraine, that would be so cool, but probably not that likely to happen. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to read on and find out.

Just out of curiosity, what are your favourite books of the series in order?
Hmmm, my favourite books in order. Well, I can't say I liked one favourite more than another, so I'll just tell you my favourites: Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Winter's Heart and Knife of Dreams.

Curiously enough, most of those books are the "answering question" type books, or have something in them that make them particularly exciting. Events occur in them which make you want to read the next book IMMEDIATELY! Trust me, 6000 pages for me is roughly 6300 minutes of time, which will fly by very quickly! The world of books is fantastic .
bullyfish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is the first book good or bad compared to the others? I am reading through it, but slowly, doesnt capture me as much as other books i've read have.
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
First book is nowhere near as good as some of the later ones. Just stick with it, mate

My favourites would be Lord of Chaos, Fires of Heaven and Path of Daggers. And I severely disliked book 10...because NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! :mad:
bullyfish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe, ok then, i'll just power through the first book and get onto the others!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jayk is correct, The Eye of the World is nothing special when compared to the later books. I started with book two - The Great Hunt - anyway, which was far more engrossing . It all kicks off from there. Book 10 - as Jayk said - was a tad disappointing, but I still enjoyed the fact that Mat was the main subject of the book.

Stick with it... each book has its good points and its bad points, so just carry on!
wiggles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What would you say are the good points of book seven? As that's the one I'll be reading next...
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, there are some decent One Power showdowns in book 7 . The plot thickens, as they say, and lots of interesting things happen in. Yeah, A Crown of Swords is definitely a good book in the series .

Read on, voyager...
bullyfish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well you two were on at increadibly obscure times of the morning :p:
wiggles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol... well I was on at more obscure a time than you know. I was still on at 5.30am! I'm pretty proud that I'm up already actually. But it was actually a rather good thing, as I got to talk to two of my friends who are in Mongolia on World Challenge and at an internet cafe at lunchtime over there. Didn't plan it, just couldnt get to sleep :p:
Darkened Angel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*yawns* boring book talk...

Back to tv, anyone here watch The 4400? I watched season 1, lost interest in season 2 and I haven't kept up with season 3 unfortunately I'm gunna catch up though, rewatch S2 again. How is S3 going? It has started right? (I've forgotten)
bullyfish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ooo, i really want to watch the 4400, looks really interesting (and the advert has AMAZING music!)
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Darkened Angel)
*yawns* boring book talk...

Back to tv, anyone here watch The 4400? I watched season 1, lost interest in season 2 and I haven't kept up with season 3 unfortunately I'm gunna catch up though, rewatch S2 again. How is S3 going? It has started right? (I've forgotten)
Boring book talk?! I'm outraged :p:. Well, not really, but still... don't knock it 'til you've read the books . They are something special, I'll tell you that much, and if you're any kind of fantasy/sci-fi fan, I'm sure you'd enjoy them .
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bullyfish)
Well you two were on at increadibly obscure times of the morning :p:
Mate, you don't know the half of it :p:. I had actually woken up at 2 a.m. and didn't get to sleep till 6! I woke up at half ten, which is even more amazing :eek3:. Who'd have thought it, eh?
Darkened Angel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Boring book talk?! I'm outraged :p:. Well, not really, but still... don't knock it 'til you've read the books . They are something special, I'll tell you that much, and if you're any kind of fantasy/sci-fi fan, I'm sure you'd enjoy them .
I dont have the attention span, the last 4 books I've tried to read I never made it to the end so I've given up now.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Haha, don't give up! What books were they? The likelihood is that you just haven't come across something that - if you'll pardon the expression - tickles your fancy.

Try Robert Jordan . Read The Eye of the World. If you like it, then you can join in . If you don't, then you'll every right to tell me that you don't, as well as why . It makes for good and stimulating conversation, if nothing else . :top:
Darkened Angel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Haha, don't give up! What books were they? The likelihood is that you just haven't come across something that - if you'll pardon the expression - tickles your fancy.

Try Robert Jordan . Read The Eye of the World. If you like it, then you can join in . If you don't, then you'll every right to tell me that you don't, as well as why . It makes for good and stimulating conversation, if nothing else . :top:
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, LotR, Da Vinci Code (and I cant remember what else)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.44%
No (475)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (162)
20.74%

Watched Threads