The Student Room Group

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society

Scroll to see replies

I've seen the films but I've been meaning to buy a lot of books. Perhaps I could borrow books from the library as that may be the cheaper alternative.:p:
Reply 7001
Sephirona
I've seen the films but I've been meaning to buy a lot of books. Perhaps I could borrow books from the library as that may be the cheaper alternative.:p:

A lot of would be quite money consuming, I think there's something like 150 novels in total...I normally just read them in the big Waterstones in London. That way I get to read the new ones as they come and Waterstones are even kind enough to provide me with comfy sofas :cool:
Sephirona
You guys are too pro for me.
Suneilr and myself are amongst the original posters in this thread :p:.

Our place here is uncontested - as is our knowledge of things sci fi and fantasy :p:.
Reply 7003
Demon_AS
Suneilr and myself are amongst the original posters in this thread :p:.

Our place here is uncontested - as is our knowledge of things sci fi and fantasy :p:.

Woah I just started looking back at some of the old pages and it turns out I have been here for awhile...I feel so old:frown:
suneilr
Woah I just started looking back at some of the old pages and it turns out I have been here for awhile...I feel so old:frown:
I think I'm actually in the top ten of posts on the first page of this soc :o:.

Jayk, Yo-less and I were amongst the first, I think :yes:.
Reply 7005
Demon_AS
I think I'm actually in the top ten of posts on the first page of this soc :o:.

Jayk, Yo-less and I were amongst the first, I think :yes:.

I think my first post was somewhere around page 100, which is still about 250 pages ago:eek: Looks back in nostalgia..:p:

How is everyone today? Two textbooks that I ordered just arrived, and even the first few chapters of them scare me :frown:
Reply 7006
Demon_AS
I think I'm actually in the top ten of posts on the first page of this soc .

Jayk, Yo-less and I were amongst the first, I think .

Me and Yo-less set it up :p: :biggrin:

Whatever happened to Darkened Angel? She still about...? I don't hang out in the same sub-forums as you guys, it would seem...
Jayk
Me and Yo-less set it up :p: :biggrin:

Whatever happened to Darkened Angel? She still about...? I don't hang out in the same sub-forums as you guys, it would seem...
I know you did :smile:.

Marina is about... somewhere... she pops up on my MSN still, anyway! :dontknow:
Reply 7008
Hi everybody. I'm not going to read over 350 pages so I'll just pick up from here. Yes I've seen Star War movies no I have not felt the need to read any books on it.
kaytt
Hi everybody. I'm not going to read over 350 pages so I'll just pick up from here. Yes I've seen Star War movies no I have not felt the need to read any books on it.
:no: You don't know what you're missing :wink:.

Go on... give them a go! :hubba:
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
The Magicians Apprentice by Trudi Canavan
The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Wow! Loved all of these, definitly recommend them to you guys if you haven't already read them.

Brisngr wasn't great I didn't think but still worth the read. Not much seems to happen to be honest and it's pretty slow paced. Though you have to read it if you've read the previous books anyway.

The Magicians Apprentice is a must if you've read Trudi's Black Magician Trilogy. Not as good as the trilogy of course, but it takes you back into that world, and it was nice to be back. :smile:

The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Read Skies were probably the best books I've read in a long time. Such clever plots, you think you have worked out what's going to happen but it suprises you constantly. After reading the reviews for both of them and noticing the difference between the two I was hesitant to read the second book just because I thought I'd be really dissapointed. But really enjoyed it, even if it wasn't as good as the first still a great read. Can't wait for the next installment of the Gentlemen Bastard Sequence.
Read all the above... all good books :biggrin:.
Not read any of those :colondollar: I keep meaning to read Brisingr - I feel I owe it to Eragon and Eldest.
Reply 7013
I have to admit I do have a fondness for Trudi Canavan's books. Haven't read the others but I'll try and give them a read when I find some spare time
I finally got hold of some sci-fi at uni. :biggrin: I'm reading Arthur C Clarke's Collected Stories; so far they've been OK but nothing special, however they are in chronological order of publication so you would expect the earlier ones to be a bit weaker.
Of the Arthur C Clarke that I've read, I really enjoyed it. I had the anthology called, "Of Time and Stars."
Jace Falco
Not read any of those :colondollar: I keep meaning to read Brisingr - I feel I owe it to Eragon and Eldest.
Do it :biggrin:. Doooooooooo it!
Hmm, I do love reading Warhammer /40k novels - DOESN'T BLOODY help during exam season!
I've just the entire Elita series by Kate Jacoby.

Again.

Fantastic books... recommended to everyone!
Awesome documentary from around ROTS-time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWB_j1KgYqE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending