Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiggles)
    Yeah. Joss said he'd never make it into a TV series again, even if he got an offer, because he says it just wouldn't go back to TV after having a movie. And even if it did, it just wouldn't be the same
    Spoiler:
    Show
    without Wash and Book
    Really? I read Joss was willing to continue to story through any medium...and the reason it wouldn't come back to TV was because Fox hold the rights to Firefly as a TV show, and Joss has said he'll never work with Fox again.

ReputationRep:
    Well when it first got cancelled he was willing to go anywhere to carry it on any way he could, but he said that now these characters have been on the big screen, taking them back to TV wouldn't work, or something like that. I don't agree, I think he should do anything he can to bring back the series, but he seems to think Serenity was the big finale (as there's not much chance of more movies) and that he's fought and got what he wanted, which was to end it on his terms. I think that killing Wash and Book has probably screwed up any long-term plans he might have had for the series, as if he intened them to die, it probably wouldn't have been until later seasons. He obviously crammed as much story as he could into the movie, which was probably worth a couple of seasons worth.
    Also, I know there aren't many Angel fans in here, but from what I read about what season 6 could have been, I'm so dissapointed it had to end at 5. Angel and Spike were so great together, and the plots they've said they had planned sounded amazing. So I don't know which I'd pick to bring back of Angel and Firefly...

ReputationRep:
    Doubt he'll get another movie. Serenity didn't do too wella t the box office.
    Really? I heard it did really well in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Last I heard of Joss Whedon he was too busy working on Firefly spinoffs (as in books, comics, etc) so even if he did want to make another season/movie or whatever production wont start for a while. Also, I think I posted a link to this before but there's a guy trying to buy the rights to Firefly but he said he wont work on it unless Joss Whedon works with him.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt he'll get another movie. Serenity didn't do too wella t the box office. Although, if crap like Garfield and Cheaper by the Dozen can get sequels....
    Yeah, I'd prefer a new series though. If not Firefly, I hope he gets back into TV again soon, even with a completely new show.
    Actually Serenity was considered a big hit as it made a lot more money then it took to make it. Another series would be great, we new something new on tv!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    Last I heard of Joss Whedon he was too busy working on Firefly spinoffs (as in books, comics, etc) so even if he did want to make another season/movie or whatever production wont start for a while. Also, I think I posted a link to this before but there's a guy trying to buy the rights to Firefly but he said he wont work on it unless Joss Whedon works with him.
    He's also taking absolutely bloody ages to write Wonder Woman. Which he started when they started writing X-Men 3. He hasn't even cast anybody yet. Not that I'm eagerly awaiting the film (which I probably won't even go and see, despite it being Whedon), I just want him to get it out of the way so he can get back to doing original stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexG)
    Actually Serenity was considered a big hit as it made a lot more money then it took to make it. Another series would be great, we new something new on tv!
    It just broke even with box office takings, hence Universal's denial for a sequel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexG)
    (Original post by Pav27)
    It just broke even with box office takings, hence Universal's denial for a sequel.
    Yep; Serenity cost $39 million dollars to make, and only made back $38.7 million back. It did well enough to not be considered a flop, but it didn't do well enough to make a profit (to do that, films have to make back about 3 times as much as their production budget)

Still, from what I've heard, Joss is going to finish work on Goners and Wonder Woman, and then he was going to come back and have a look at how well Serenity was doing on DVD. If it's done well, it might warrant at the least a couple of made for TV movies (which the Sci-Fi channel has expressed an interest in), or maybe even a second theatrical movie. If not, then there'll definitely be a new series of comics, and then there's always the copious amounts of fan fiction online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayk Bakner)
    Yep; Serenity cost $39 million dollars to make, and only made back $38.7 million back. It did well enough to not be considered a flop, but it didn't do well enough to make a profit (to do that, films have to make back about 3 times as much as their production budget)

Still, from what I've heard, Joss is going to finish work on Goners and Wonder Woman, and then he was going to come back and have a look at how well Serenity was doing on DVD. If it's done well, it might warrant at the least a couple of made for TV movies (which the Sci-Fi channel has expressed an interest in), or maybe even a second theatrical movie. If not, then there'll definitely be a new series of comics, and then there's always the copious amounts of fan fiction online
    I don't like fan fiction. If I want to make stuff up, I'll do it myself. And I always wonder when I'm reading it "what would the original writers of the show think about this?" I know if I wrote something, I wouldn't want anyone else taking the characters *I'd* worked so hard to create, and just doing whatever they wanted with them. Fair enough if you just write it for yourself, that's great. But when you post it online for loads of people to see.... I just don't like reading fan fiction at all.
    Comics could be good, but I havn't read any in the past. But if Joss writes them himself I'm sure they'll be good.
    I hope there are some TV movies, that would be great. But I'd also like him to create something completely new. Firefly is good, but I really want a new series more than anything. I want to be able to tune in every week for a new episode. Not have one hour and a half installment every year or so, and not know whether or not there'll be another each time. I'm tempted to say that if he doesn't get to make another Firefly series, then he should create a whole new show. I love the TV medium, and I think Joss is king of it.

About Goners... I thought Joss was only writing it, and had sold the script to Universal, but on IMDB it says he's directing... I suppose that makes sense, after his history of having his scripts massacred by inept directors, that he wouldn't let it happen again. I hear the movie is supposed to be a horror type thing, as he was looking back at Buffy and realising that they forgot to actually make it scary, but apart from that I have no idea what it's about. Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like fan fiction. If I want to make stuff up, I'll do it myself. And I always wonder when I'm reading it "what would the original writers of the show think about this?" I know if I wrote something, I wouldn't want anyone else taking the characters *I'd* worked so hard to create, and just doing whatever they wanted with them. Fair enough if you just write it for yourself, that's great. But when you post it online for loads of people to see.... I just don't like reading fan fiction at all.
    I'm in the exact contrary position :rolleyes:

I would be flattered if people made fan fiction of something I wrote, it means I've inspired them with my characters! And some of the Firefly stuff is actually rather good - although it does have it's fair share of utter ****e

I totally agree with the new Joss stuff though. Maybe two more TV movies on Firefly, then just move on to something new. Honestly, I'm intruiged as to where he might go!

There's only a few things released about Goners ATM; and most of it is here. Also, it was confirmed on Whedonesque that he is indeed going to direct it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on...two thread kills in the space of two days?!?!? Not possible!

Um...um...

Mal Reynolds vs Han Solo! Who's cooler?!?! And who'd win in a fight?

ReputationRep:
    Reynolds is clearly cooler, and he'd win in a fight no problem!

Not quite Sci-Fi, but;

Jack Bauer Vs The Operative

ReputationRep:
    Bauer, by a mile. He'd scream 'WHERE IS THE BOMB' so loud that it'd make the Operative stumble (a kiai shout of sorts ), then nail him in the head!

ReputationRep:
    Bauer, by a mile. He'd scream 'WHERE IS THE BOMB' so loud that it'd make the Operative stumble (a kiai shout of sorts ), then nail him in the head!

hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Really? I'm gunna agree with jayk, I'd be flattered too if people wrote fanfics out of my characters, it'd show how much they are affecting people in a good way. Plus when a series ends its the only thing left apart from continuous repeats of the episodes. I'm not much of a reader but I can always read fanfics of a show I really like, plus already knowing the characters makes reading a lot easier for me considering my attention span (and like I've mentioned before, I have a very difficult time reading books to the end).

I'm in the exact contrary position :rolleyes:

I would be flattered if people made fan fiction of something I wrote, it means I've inspired them with my characters! And some of the Firefly stuff is actually rather good - although it does have it's fair share of utter ****e
    Seriously, go read Virtual Firefly already! I read episode two yesterday, great episode!! Niska's in it and he's meaner than ever! And Wash is as funny as ever

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well to be honest, I don't really know how I'd feel about fanfic about my own characters unless it actually happened. I just think that, after listening to commentaries and stuff on episodes, and seeing how specifically and carefully they plotted all the characters' arcs, and the writers' thoughts on what definitely should and shouldn't happen, that there's obviously gonna be a lot of fan fiction that they don't agree with.
    However, as a viewer/reader I don't think I'll ever like fanfic continuations of tv shows. I love having the set story that I can watch again and again on dvd. With fanfic there's so many variations. I guess I'd just rather imagine it myself than read what other people think should happen. If it's not the original writers view of what should happen after the series ended (as the Firefly comics will be), then I'd rather not read it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well to be honest, I don't really know how I'd feel about fanfic about my own characters unless it actually happened. I just think that, after listening to commentaries and stuff on episodes, and seeing how specifically and carefully they plotted all the characters' arcs, and the writers' thoughts on what definitely should and shouldn't happen, that there's obviously gonna be a lot of fan fiction that they don't agree with.
    However, as a viewer/reader I don't think I'll ever like fanfic continuations of tv shows. I love having the set story that I can watch again and again on dvd. With fanfic there's so many variations. I guess I'd just rather imagine it myself than read what other people think should happen. If it's not the original writers view of what should happen after the series ended (as the Firefly comics will be), then I'd rather not read it.
    Well fanfics are there as a fans idea of the shows continuation, fans can be really good writers too. Virtual Firefly has to be the best fanfic I've ever read and I've read quite a few. Fans write about stuff that shows writers may never think of and also fanfics allow room for anything to happen which is why they're so much fun to read. To each their own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Well fanfics are there as a fans idea of the shows continuation, fans can be really good writers too. Virtual Firefly has to be the best fanfic I've ever read and I've read quite a few. Fans write about stuff that shows writers may never think of and also fanfics allow room for anything to happen which is why they're so much fun to read. To each their own I guess.
    What's the web address for Virtual Firefy?

Fanfiction is great. I used to read alot, i dont anymore but I would if it is firefly, lol.

My best friend is of to Uni to do creatie writing and she started writing fanfiction when she was 11 and she has written great stuff and all of it is sci fi, mosty x files (she is obsessed) lol, but i think fanfiction is a great thing for cancelled shows as it gives fans the opportunity to write about what they had wished they had seen occur in the series...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexG)
    What's the web address for Virtual Firefy?
    http://www.stillflying.net/index.php

Click the seasons tab, then click the season one box, select the first disk and go to read episode.

Oh come on...two thread kills in the space of two days?!?!? Not possible!

Um...um...

Mal Reynolds vs Han Solo! Who's cooler?!?! And who'd win in a fight?
    But they're both quite smiliar. Han with his Millenium Falcon, Mal with Serenity. They're both 'bad' but secretly good-hearted and...

OK, somehow, I feel embaressed to continue :ninja:

Seriously, go read Virtual Firefly already! I read episode two yesterday, great episode!! Niska's in it and he's meaner than ever! And Wash is as funny as ever
    Wash is the man :five:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.