Turn on thread page Beta

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Geeks Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    You know, I've not once complained about a book being too long. I do very often bemoan their shortness!
    Welcome back!!

And I'm not complaining, per se; I'm merely commenting on the fact that going through the whole series again is holding me back from reading other things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayk Bakner)
    Bah! All three of those books are sitting on my shelf unread (along with the new Artemis Fowl, The Warrior Prophet and The Darkness That Comes Before, and some others!). Damn the Wheel of Time for being so bloody loooooooong!
    The Wheel of Time is loooooooooooong! But oh-so-worth-it! Damn fine books, damn fine story. Damn.

:p:

(Original post by wiggles)
    Yeah, I've had Artemis Fowl on my shelf since pretty much the day it came out, and I still havn't got round to reading it... I read 1984 in two days the day before yesterday, am now working through Lolita which a friend bought me, and then I've got Frankenstein and Dracula to read as they're on my course, then maybe I'll finally get round to Artemis Fowl...
    :hmmm: Artemis Fowl should be proritized over
    a) other books
    b) food
    c) sleep
    d) life in general

(Original post by Demon_AS)
    The Wheel of Time is loooooooooooong! But oh-so-worth-it! Damn fine books, damn fine story. Damn.

:p:
    I bought it - I FINALLY found the first book. Shall start it soon. Although I can't say Jayk_ posts have been very encouraging.

ReputationRep:
    Jayk is a pessimist :p:. Trust me, the books are awesome. I have to say, though, that the first one DID start a little bit slowly for me, but the entire series as a whole is fantastico!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Jayk is a pessimist :p:. Trust me, the books are awesome. I have to say, though, that the first one DID start a little bit slowly for me, but the entire series as a whole is fantastico!
    Me! A pessimist! Bah!

And I never said the books are bad, or unenjoyable :p: I just said they're LOOOOONG! I love every minute of them (well...not every minute of the 11th book...but even Robert Jordan admits that book was a vague failure in story-telling). Great books, they just take ages to read!

ReputationRep:
    I found the start of the Eye of the World to be really good, and it really got me into the story. It was the middle that dragged loads for me, when it's just Mat and Rand travelling for ages. Then it picked up near the end when they were all back together again.

ReputationRep:
    I found the start of the Eye of the World to be really good, and it really got me into the story. It was the middle that dragged loads for me, when it's just Mat and Rand travelling for ages. Then it picked up near the end when they were all back together again.
    Really? I quite enjoyed the bits with Rand and Mat, to be honest. It shows a side of Rand than vanishes later on!

ReputationRep:
    Well really, all of books 1 and 2 show that side of him, the side that dissapears in book 3 when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you hardly see him for the whole book when he goes off on his own and slaughters anyone that comes near him. The bits in EotW when Mat and Rand are just walking down that long road and keep stopping at farms/taverns, playing their flutes for money, and moving on, gets sooo tedious. There's literally nothing to get excited about in it.

ReputationRep:
    Well really, all of books 1 and 2 show that side of him, the side that dissapears in book 3 when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you hardly see him for the whole book when he goes off on his own and slaughters anyone that comes near him. The bits in EotW when Mat and Rand are just walking down that long road and keep stopping at farms/taverns, playing their flutes for money, and moving on, gets sooo tedious. There's literally nothing to get excited about in it.
    Ah, I see your point. Well, I quite like things like that; but it's an each to his own moment, methinks

ReputationRep:
    Whoah, just finished BSG season 2. Talk about a complete shift in format! That's one crazy-ass end to a season!

ReputationRep:
    Whoah, just finished BSG season 2. Talk about a complete shift in format! That's one crazy-ass end to a season!
    Snap! (well, I finished it on Thursday, but who has time for semantics these days?)

And I know! The change of tone was a little...bizarre to say the very least; and it ended on yet another bleedin' cliffhanger :mad: Still, I really enjoyed the season as a whole!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Particularly when Lee got the Command of the Pegasus; great dramatic moment

ReputationRep:
    Snap! (well, I finished it on Thursday, but who has time for semantics these days?)

And I know! The change of tone was a little...bizarre to say the very least; and it ended on yet another bleedin' cliffhanger :mad: Still, I really enjoyed the season as a whole!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Particularly when Lee got the Command of the Pegasus; great dramatic moment
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah, but I found it amusing that he'd already been promoted that episode, then again by the end, lol.
    The "curing" of President Roslin's cancer was a bit weird though. Surely it should have been a bigger deal than it was. I don't know, there was just something off about it. Like they'd skipped over this huge issue and not really dealt with it, as they realised they didn't want to kill off her character.
    Also, Starbuck looks much better with long hair. Although I can't say the same thing about Chief's beard...

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah, but I found it amusing that he'd already been promoted that episode, then again by the end, lol.
    The "curing" of President Roslin's cancer was a bit weird though. Surely it should have been a bigger deal than it was. I don't know, there was just something off about it. Like they'd skipped over this huge issue and not really dealt with it, as they realised they didn't want to kill off her character.
    Also, Starbuck looks much better with long hair. Although I can't say the same thing about Chief's beard...
    Totally agree
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There's also the Admiral's 'tache I think Edward James Olmos wanted to change one thing about his character's appearance in each season. Did you notice how in the first season he had relatively short, spikey hair, then in the second season it was fairly long and wavy? And now he's got a tache!!!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, oh god I hope he gets rid of that, lol. And did Apollo look just a little bit.... podgier to you? If he was, it was very subtle, lol.
    Also, I read that they're planning to make the fleet much more "rag-tag" next season to feel more like the original series (which I havn't seen btw), which sounds good.
    One thing I think they'll do is have loads of flashbacks to what happened in that year on New Caprica. Which I'm not sure how I'd feel about.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, oh god I hope he gets rid of that, lol. And did Apollo look just a little bit.... podgier to you? If he was, it was very subtle, lol.
    Also, I read that they're planning to make the fleet much more "rag-tag" next season to feel more like the original series (which I havn't seen btw), which sounds good.
    One thing I think they'll do is have loads of flashbacks to what happened in that year on New Caprica. Which I'm not sure how I'd feel about.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah...he did look a little more...filled out!
    I haven't seen the original either, but I agree that making it ragtag would be good. It'd give it an (even) more authentic feel, I reckon.

It'll be interesting to see what they do do next season (I may succumb to temptation and download the episodes, seeing as I won't have Sky to watch it on :mad:). More guerilla warfare (which is always entertaining, seeing as we're Brits, and apparently always root for the underdog...) than true military body now!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah...he did look a little more...filled out!
    I haven't seen the original either, but I agree that making it ragtag would be good. It'd give it an (even) more authentic feel, I reckon.

It'll be interesting to see what they do do next season (I may succumb to temptation and download the episodes, seeing as I won't have Sky to watch it on :mad:). More guerilla warfare (which is always entertaining, seeing as we're Brits, and apparently always root for the underdog...) than true military body now!
    Just found a wicked sweet trailer for season 3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_ccvhY5-I

Spoiler:
    Show
    Is that Tigh in the eyepatch?!

ReputationRep:
    Just found a wicked sweet trailer for season 3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_ccvhY5-I

Spoiler:
    Show
    Is that Tigh in the eyepatch?!
    *jaw drops*

Holy crud that's awesome! Damn the fact that I have to wait until it's out on DVD!!! :mad:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Indeed it does appear to be! I think I saw someone in an eyepatch in the last episode...need to check that out, might have been our man Saul

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well he wasn't wearing one in the last episode, as we saw him being dismissed by Adama and then on the planet when he was hugging Starbuck and stuff. But some bad stuff may have happened to him between seasons, as it looks from that trailer as if Starbuck has been imprisoned, which is no surprise really, given how she acts to HUMAN authority, let alone cylon.

Edit: Here's another trailer, that's pretty much the same thing, but more diluted with old stuff. It does, however, seem to confirm that the guy in the eyepatch is Tigh. I also think that now that they've been occupied by Cylons, if the Boomer cylon they know still helps them to escape now, then they'll trust her completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYLkeHEQe0&NR

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough; it's fresher in your memory than it is in mine

ReputationRep:
    About the Wheel of Time (sorry to bring back an "old" conversation :p:) - I know what you mean about Rand and Mat, but I really enjoyed book 3. My favourite scene from book 3, actually, would have to be:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When Mat kicks the collective arses of both Gawyn and Galad with just a quarterstaff to their Warder-trained blades :cool:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.