Turn on thread page Beta

The same-sex marriage debate watch

• View Poll Results: Do you support same-sex marriage legislation?
    Yes
    74.40%
    No
    20.80%
    Unsure
    4.80%

ReputationRep:
    With Hawaii, New Mexico and Utah in the US all recently legalising gay marriage, and with same-sex weddings about to begin within three months in the UK, I was wondering what TSR community thought of this issue. Do you support same-sex marriage legislation or not, and why/why not?

Look forward to the responses!

Thanks
    James

ReputationRep:
    TSR is predominantly liberal and I think most people here are in favour of gay marriage. I myself am entirely apathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, on a simple principle of equality.

ReputationRep:
    No, they have civil partnerships with all the same legal rights etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, don't support it. I think marriage has a very clear function - to perpetuate society. I do understand that the institution of marriage has been severely weakened in our age of progress, therefore I am against any measures that further damage it.

Brace yourselves, accusations of homophobia are incoming.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there should be much debate on this, yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't see the harm in it. If two consenting adults want to get married then let them?

ReputationRep:
    Same sex and marriage should not be in the same sentence, it should be a civil partnership imo.

And No I don't support it.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that people in this day and age can still openly oppose marriage equality is terrifying.

Yes, civil partnerships grant the same legal rights, but it's still not the same is it? You're still saying "oh but marriage is SPECIAL so only we can have it, you're not good enough".

Marriage is treated as a throwaway thing and people get divorced and remarried all the time, so it's clearly not as pure and sacred as people like to make out, but you still deny us the simple right of forming a union with someone we love? If you can't see why that's harmful and oppressive, you're blind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't care less. With civil partnerships, I don't think that marriage is needed for equality, but if gay couples want to call themselves married I see no reason to stop them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skoav)
    The fact that people in this day and age can still openly oppose marriage equality is terrifying.

Yes, civil partnerships grant the same legal rights, but it's still not the same is it? You're still saying "oh but marriage is SPECIAL so only we can have it, you're not good enough".

Marriage is treated as a throwaway thing and people get divorced and remarried all the time, so it's clearly not as pure and sacred as people like to make out, but you still deny us the simple right of forming a union with someone we love? If you can't see why that's harmful and oppressive, you're blind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's all about a difference in wording, marriage use to mean a single man and a single women till them idiots decided to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skoav)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your not making much logical sense to me. Civil partnerships have the same legal rights so why do you need more than that?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I support it. It's love. Marriage isn't just about procreation these days so it's ridiculous to say so. Honestly I don't think it'll harm society at all and those who say it'll lead to polygamy and incest are just talking nonsense. I really don't think it will harm the institution of marriage when it's legalised.

(Original post by lostinavortex)
    Your not making much logical sense to me. Civil partnerships have the same legal rights so why do you need more than that?
    If they are the same legal rights then the difference between marriage and civil partnerships is minimal, hence the legalisation of gay marriage wouldn't really make a great deal of difference. To answer your question with a question, why should they be forced or obligated to settle for less?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorgotron)
    Nope, don't support it. I think marriage has a very clear function - to perpetuate society. I do understand that the institution of marriage has been severely weakened in our age of progress, therefore I am against any measures that further damage it.

Surely same-sex marriage would strengthen marriage, considering it would mean more loving couples in marriage instead of being out of wedlock, as a counteracting balance to all those other couples getting divorced?

Marriage should be a civil matter, so I wholeheartedly support it. Whether or not it gets blessed religiously is a matter for the church and for the couple (i.e., we should do it the French way, whereby everyone gets married civilly, and then couples can choose whether or not they want a religious ceremony added on).

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It is an abomination!

ReputationRep:
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)

If they are the same legal rights then the difference between marriage and civil partnerships is minimal, hence the legalisation of gay marriage wouldn't really make a great deal of difference. To answer your question with a question, why should they be forced or obligated to settle for less?
    So it is not about equal rights then? It seems to me that you are more interested in re-defining the meaning of marriage for idealogical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorgotron)

People can have children and raise families without being married.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinavortex)
    It's a very deliberate segregation of gays from heterosexual couples. If there is no legal difference they should be called the same thing-that they are not is to pacify bigots who don't want to be lumped in with gay couples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Massivebona)
    It's all about a difference in wording, marriage use to mean a single man and a single women till them idiots decided to change it.
    What harm does that actually do to you? None. Get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.