The Student Room Group

Which course to take, M.Sc. (4 yrs) or B.Sc. (3 years)?

I'm an int'l student from US, so my questions may sound odd...

I'm considering to get PhD after getting my MSc, but I don't know how I should choose my course. As you know, many unis have 3 yrs of BSc programs and 4 yrs of MSc programs with the same title.

- Is it better to take 4 yrs of MSc program rather than taking 3 yrs of BSc program plus 1 yr of MSc program? Or are both options essentially the same?

- If I will take 4 yrs of MSc program, can I not get BSc but only MSc?

- Is it common to move to other school after moving from BSc program to MSc program?
Reply 1
You can't do Msc unless you complete Bsc

Posted from TSR Mobile
The main advantage of having BSc + MSc is the possibility to move to a different uni after undegrad studies... So I would probably think the "all in one" is a better option if it is at your dream uni (and you really like the program): you will not face the issue of applying to the MSc. Otherwise I would probably choose the BSc, so that I can do my masters in a different department if I will want to.
Reply 3
OK. I'm relived to hear that I can get BSc even if I will finish 4 rs of MSc program. My decision totally depends on how hard/bothering the application to the MSc will be. Is it common for students in ICL/UCL to apply to Oxbridge for MSc?
Reply 4
Hang on, is it an MSc or an MSci?
Reply 5
MSc, if you do the BSc you will have to self fund the masters. If its a 4 year MSc one (where the masters is part of the course) student finance will fund it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kumori
MSc, if you do the BSc you will have to self fund the masters. If its a 4 year MSc one (where the masters is part of the course) student finance will fund it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how funding works for international students, but this is definitely the case for UK home students. I'd look up this though, find out how the expenses pan out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Just to clear up some confusion, a degree with the title MSc would only be achievable as a postgrad (because you have already studied for and received an undergraduate degree). A degree like MSci, MEng, MChem, MPhys, MPharm, MMath etc is called an undergraduate Master's degree and as such can only be studied as an undergraduate usually for 4 years (although it could take longer if you spend a year in industry for example.) I would say that a BSc and an MSc combined would be better if you have the choice (because as postgrad you tend to do harder work and are given more responsibilities) but obviously you have to consider funding, applications and suitability.
Reply 8
I had been confused with the difference of MSc and MSci. All programs of of my choice provide only BSc and MSc separately or combination of BSc and MSci. So, I would just take BSc program first and then MSc. It seems that programs of BSc and MSc combined are rare in my area of interest. The reason why I prefer MSc over MSci is that since I will go back to US for PhD, I would like to go through such a hard work in the course of MSc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by worry123
I had been confused with the difference of MSc and MSci. All programs of of my choice provide only BSc and MSc separately or combination of BSc and MSci. So, I would just take BSc program first and then MSc. It seems that programs of BSc and MSc combined are rare in my area of interest. The reason why I prefer MSc over MSci is that since I will go back to US for PhD, I would like to go through such a hard work in the course of MSc.

MSCi is an integrated masters. It is an undergraduate degree but you complete work to masters level (you get one qualification, MSCi, at the end of it, or BSc if you leave early).

MSc is a postgraduate degree. It is separate to the undergraduate degree (so you will have a BSc and an MSc)

If you go for the BSc + MSc route, you will have to re-apply to go on the MSc (if it's at a different institution, I'm not sure about the policy at the same university if they're specifically offering that course route). This is not always guaranteed as it depends on the spaces available and how many people they want on the course. The MSCi is part of the BSc course, so it follows it directly.

The MSc can be taken at any appropriate university after the BSc, the MSCi will continue at the same university as an additional year of study. I haven't typically seen BSc + MSc offered as a course, typically they just run it as "MSci".

In practical terms, both the MSc and MSCi are generally regarded as equal levels of academic qualification, although you get two qualifications from going down the MSc route. For those in the UK on student finance, the MSCi route is typically preferred as it counts as one degree and they don't have to do extra funding. The MSc is a second qualification and is not covered by the government loan.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks for your clarification. If MSci is so popular and similar to MSc in academic rigorousness, I would just apply to MSci course with 4 yrs. Now I have no problem :biggrin:
Original post by worry123
I'm an int'l student from US, so my questions may sound odd...

I'm considering to get PhD after getting my MSc, but I don't know how I should choose my course. As you know, many unis have 3 yrs of BSc programs and 4 yrs of MSc programs with the same title.

- Is it better to take 4 yrs of MSc program rather than taking 3 yrs of BSc program plus 1 yr of MSc program? Or are both options essentially the same?

- If I will take 4 yrs of MSc program, can I not get BSc but only MSc?

- Is it common to move to other school after moving from BSc program to MSc program?

I would go for a BSc first then the MSc if you pass within the 3 years you should still get funding for the MSc year but you won't be tied in if you decide for some reason maybe I am just happy with a degree and don't need a PhD also it means if you fail the MSc you still have the BSc to fall back on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending