obeese people and anorexics

Watch
UKChicken
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If someone is diagnosed with anorexic they can be sectioned and force fed via tubes. However if someone is obese they can just carry on eating, getting fat and then finally when they are very large and carrying a life threatening amount of weight an operation may be offered to them (if they meet thee criteria).

If someone is anorexic it is taken very seriously. They will have special meal plans, will be regularly monitored and given constant psychological support (referred to a psychiatrist). People in society recgonise they have a serious problem; the anorexic is never blamed.

If someone is obeese yes, it is taken seriously by the doc who is able to foresee the long term ramifications of their eating habit. They are encourage to join gyms and eat better but at the end of the day it;s up to them. If someone is dangerously anorexic they can be hospitalised against their will but if someone is dangerously obeese it is not like they can be hospitalised and fed rations:rolleyes:. Also I can't say for certain but I doubt obeese people would be offered psychological support as quickly as the anorexic. Within society I've noticed the person with the obesity is usually blamed and looked at in disgust due to people thinking they are lazy and greedy.

anyone got any thoughts/ opinions regarding this ?
may348
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I could be completely wrong about this, but I think Anorexia usually kills a person more quickly than obesity. If that's true, it might be why Anorexia is treated as more of a medical emergency.

I do think there should be some sort of intervention for obese people though. Encouraging them to eat healthy and exercise isn't enough. They know their lifestyles are unhealthy, but they choose not to care. I think most of them are in denial about what a serious condition obesity really is.
Tai Ga
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't have much sympathy for either group tbh.
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anorexia is the mental illness with the highest mortality rate and so quick and often intense intervention is needed so that as many people as possible will recover from it. Also anorexics are unable to think rationally about their weight, they believe they are fat and need to lose weight, where as obese people know they are overweight and need to lose weight but choose not to if they don't follow diet and exercise plans.
aims890
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anorexia is a mental disorder, I don't think that obesity is. You're right though, there should be more done for obese people, maybe showing them explicitly what will happen to them if they have a serious illness as a consequence of their lifestyle.
Harley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tai Ga)
Can I ask why? That seems very ignorant, anorexia nervosa is a mental illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i-love-coffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UKChicken)
If someone is diagnosed with anorexic they can be sectioned and force fed via tubes. However if someone is obese they can just carry on eating, getting fat and then finally when they are very large and carrying a life threatening amount of weight an operation may be offered to them (if they meet thee criteria).

If someone is anorexic it is taken very seriously. They will have special meal plans, will be regularly monitored and given constant psychological support (referred to a psychiatrist). People in society recgonise they have a serious problem; the anorexic is never blamed.

If someone is obeese yes, it is taken seriously by the doc who is able to foresee the long term ramifications of their eating habit. They are encourage to join gyms and eat better but at the end of the day it;s up to them. If someone is dangerously anorexic they can be hospitalised against their will but if someone is dangerously obeese it is not like they can be hospitalised and fed rations:rolleyes:. Also I can't say for certain but I doubt obeese people would be offered psychological support as quickly as the anorexic. Within society I've noticed the person with the obesity is usually blamed and looked at in disgust due to people thinking they are lazy and greedy.

I feel equally sympathetic for both sufferers as both are suffering with a mental disorder. However, I do believe there is a tendance to consider anorexics as victims rather than obese people in society. I think it comes from the fact that it's pressure from society that has led them to think that they are overweight. It's the media, comments from friends, celebrities etc. that have pushed them into this mental state.

On the contract, society doesn't applaud being overweight and thus obese people are seen less as victims but more did-it-to-themselves. I think this is completely wrong as whilst obesity may not arise from media pressure etc. it surely stems from a mental disease that needs psychological help.
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by i-love-coffee)
I feel equally sympathetic for both sufferers as both are suffering with a mental disorder. However, I do believe there is a tendance to consider anorexics as victims rather than obese people in society. I think it comes from the fact that it's pressure from society that has led them to think that they are overweight. It's the media, comments from friends, celebrities etc. that have pushed them into this mental state.

On the contract, society doesn't applaud being overweight and thus obese people are seen less as victims but more did-it-to-themselves. I think this is completely wrong as whilst obesity may not arise from media pressure etc. it surely stems from a mental disease that needs psychological help.
Obesity is not a mental illness and although in some cases there may be underlying psychological factors that affect the likelihood of someone becoming obese, it is often lifestyle choices that lead someone to becoming obese and they have far more control over becoming healthy than an anorexic does.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anorexia is a severe mental illness. Obesity, whilst a problem (and arguably food can be an addiction) is not a mental illness, and does not kill nearly as quickly as anorexia. Thus we do need to divert more resources to saving anorexics than obese people; because obese people are far more likely to cure themselves than anorexics.
SophiaKeuning
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Harley)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agreed. Anorexia is a powerful mental illness.
Tai Ga
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Harley)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know tbh. In my own experience, those who suffered from the anorexia only starved themselves to get skinner for shallow aesthetic reasons. Sure it can be triggered by tragic events, but so can obesity. If people don't give obese people the benefit of doubt, why should I give it to anorexics?

People all over the world, both in developed and poor nations are starving. Someone in their endeavour to be "perfect" deliberately wasting and refusing to eat food when the option is available to them just doesn't sit well with me.
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can understand that about obese people, but anorexic people have an illness, like depression. How come you're unsympathetic towards them?
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know tbh. In my own experience, those who suffered from the anorexia only starved themselves to get skinner for shallow aesthetic reasons. Sure it can be triggered by tragic events, but so can obesity. If people don't give obese people the benefit of doubt, why should I give it to anorexics?

People all over the world, both in developed and poor nations are starving. Someone in their endeavour to be "perfect" deliberately wasting and refusing to eat food when the option is available to them just doesn't sit well with me.
I kind of understand your point, but also not. Obesity can be triggered by trauma, but anorexia is far more a mental illness. And that may be your experience, but as someone who has two close friends who are recovering anorexics, most people do not do it for shallow aesthetics; it's a reaction to loss of control - taking control over your food when you can't do it with anything else; and that then spirals. Aesthetics can play a part, but nobody decides to be anorexic; diets can trigger it, but it's chemical changes in the brain. And I think that comment about starving people in poor nations is unfair. That's a lot like saying 'a lot of people in poor and developed nations live in miserable conditions and have lost family members and yet they're getting on with their lives' to a depressed person.
may348
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I kind of have sympathy for obese people. Sometimes I do think, "it's your own damn fault." Especially if I see one out in public, wolfing down ice cream or something. Then again, it must be horrible to be morbidly obese. I feel sorry for the ones who are so big they're almost (or totally) immobile.
aims890
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Anorexia is a mental illness and obesity is not. It's not giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's a fact. You really think that anorexic people get to less than 85% of their recommended body weight for shallow reasons
People starving through no fault of their own have nothing to do with anorexic people.
Tai Ga
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
I kind of understand your point, but also not. Obesity can be triggered by trauma, but anorexia is far more a mental illness. And that may be your experience, but as someone who has two close friends who are recovering anorexics, most people do not do it for shallow aesthetics; it's a reaction to loss of control - taking control over your food when you can't do it with anything else; and that then spirals. Aesthetics can play a part, but nobody decides to be anorexic; diets can trigger it, but it's chemical changes in the brain. And I think that comment about starving people in poor nations is unfair. That's a lot like saying 'a lot of people in poor and developed nations live in miserable conditions and have lost family members and yet they're getting on with their lives' to a depressed person.
Oh I didn't know that.

Yeah, unfortunately my personal experience has influenced my views. It was just quite sickening tbh hearing these girls gloat about how there were getting skinner each day. In the end, one of them had to be hospitalized and repeat the year because it was that bad. But I do think I need to look at cases individually and not generalise.

I know, but tbh I can't help but feel that way. I know people personally who don't even know when their next meal is and seeing people deliberately refuse food when it's perfectly available to them angers me some what.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UKChicken)

You're confusing being obese with having an eating disorder.
Anorexia is an eating disorder which needs to be treated in a number of ways, both mentally and physically. Also ones health can decline much faster from malnourishment than obesity.

However people with the eating disorder "binge eating disorder" can be sectioned under the mental health act to "force" them into treatment not just for loosing weight but most importantly through therapy because it is a Mental condition.

Binge eating disorder is not the same as just being overweight though, one can be overweight without suffering from binge eating disorder.
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh I didn't know that.

Yeah, unfortunately my personal experience has influenced my views. It was just quite sickening tbh hearing these girls gloat about how there were getting skinner each day. In the end, one of them had to be hospitalized and repeat the year because it was that bad. But I do think I need to look at cases individually and not generalise.

I know, but tbh I can't help but feel that way. I know people personally who don't even know when their next meal is and seeing people deliberately refuse food when it's perfectly available to them angers me some what.

I do see your point, and I think we all generalise off personal experience. And thank you for being, well, a reasonable human being. Not many people I know can argue about something without resorting to "I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE STUPID AND GAY!"
TheLoveDoctor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what's worse: an anhorexic girl who thinks she's too fat, or an obese person who thinks they're thin?
the girls who say openly "ohh I'm so fat" when she's clearly much thinner than you...
oh, and those girls who're so fat that their lard goes into their boobs and they claim that this makes their boobs "big"
and those girls who are hugely tall yet still feel the need to wear huge heels
and those girls who wear way too much makeup and perfume...
and the girls who reek of BO and never think to do anything about it
:noway:
(sorry I think I went a little off topic)
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh I didn't know that.

I suppose the only way I can describe it is a total loss of appetite. Think of something you'd really, really hate to do and being faced with it three times or more a day. Like, a non-smoker being made to chain smoke. The mere sight of it can bring on tears, anxiety and panic attacks. Depression and anorexia tend to go hand in hand.

It's like everything in you is preventing you from doing the most natural thing in the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (93)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.88%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.33%

Watched Threads