The Student Room Group

Computer Security With Forensics!

Hello all :smile:

I may be posting this in the wrong section of the site but I dare say I will be re-directed if that is that case :')

Anyways, I have created this thread purely because I want to know more about the course. All I know so far is; I want to do it. I've spent a lot of time researching what it is to be a penetration tester and....I'm sorry but that has been, is, and always will be my dream job. To hack into computer systems and get payed for it....sign me up:biggrin:

My main question revolves around the use of Virtual Machines and how they interact with one another. Do most universities have protocols in place to stop mistakes happening. For example, if I am hacking into a virtual machine with the IP address 192.168.10.12 and I enter 192.168.11.13; I will be breaking the law as I am hacking into a real persons computer.

That is my only real concern, if anyone else has additional information about the course such as content or the atmosphere of lessons and lectures that would also be greatly appreciated :smile:

Merry Christmas <3
Reply 1
I don't do the forensics course at my university but the security labs they have just refurbed are completely isolated from the university network and have a separate internet connection from which university services are blacklisted. As you stated everything's virtualised, but there is a large element of ethics involved and students are trusted quite a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
As said above, but I do computer forensics and can say that the lab (just for computer forensic and computer security students) we use at my uni is on a totally different grid to the rest of the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending