Do they repeat the same questions from past papers?

Watch
po10tial
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I have a few exams in January, and when I was looking at some of the past papers, I noticed that there was some sort of trend. I notice that the questions look similar.

How could I ace the exams?
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on the subject. I do engineering and there's really only so much stuff they can ask. Typically the context and numbers will change, but the core meaning of the question is exactly the same as what we've done all year.

Best way to ace the exams? Learn the material.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At my uni they often do, but from the past papers that are so old that they are not in circulation any more.
lubus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you know the material, the paper will be very predictable. Know they key elements you are being examined on- you're guaranteed they will come up.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lubus)
If you know the material, the paper will be very predictable. Know they key elements you are being examined on- you're guaranteed they will come up.
Yeh this. My course is easy to revise for because each seminar has its own individual topic, and there is guaranteed to be a question relating to it in the exam. I have to answer two questions so if I thoroughly revise three areas I should be alright, because even if there's one very nasty question the third topic i've covered is a safety net. It's much better than A Levels where you had to frantically cover everything because nobody had any idea what the exam board would stick on the paper.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can usually predict roughly the sort of question or the format of the exam - and/or the most likely topics - but you would be very unwise to think exactly the same thing will turn up every year.

If there are 4 questions you have to answer, make sure you revise 6 topics/areas etc, to give yourself the best chance of a good 'hit rate'.
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Throughout my first first term at university I noticed a few slides have "2009" in the corner, so I focused particularly on the 2009 exam in my revision. Sure enough many of the questions from that paper were in mine, some reworded, some exact. So yes, it does happen.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by po10tial)
Hi,

I have a few exams in January, and when I was looking at some of the past papers, I noticed that there was some sort of trend. I notice that the questions look similar.

How could I ace the exams?
In short yes yes they do
SecretDuck
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my uni, past papers are not a valid indicator of what will be in the real exam. The exams usually take questions from the textbook + a few of the lecturer's own for good measure.
New- Emperor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes all the time a good way to study is to use passed papers
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They do usually cover the same areas/topics. However, if you're doing essay style questions, do make sure to answer the question as it is written, not just a stock answer you have learnt.

Even knowing this, the only way to ace your exams is by knowing the material, and usually by showing you have done a bit of your own further reading/research as well.
po10tial
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What are some good last minute tips on doing well?

Do they repeat the questions a lot? Who makes the questions and marks the university papers?
Clementine101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just finished an essay and when I was searching for some info on the topic, I came across a blog post from 2010 from a guy who had done the exact same thing then, same uni and stuff. I didn't copy his work, I did however, use it as a template.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
in short yes they do when I did my last exam I found a question copied word for word from a past exam paper they used 2 years previously which I had attempted revised and remembered part of the model answer for needless to say I chose that as one of my 3 (had to pic 3 questions out of 5 to answer)
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Past papers, what? My university course doesn't have past papers. Or if they have they haven't told us about them so they must not be available to students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.52%
Uncertainty around my education (278)
15.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.96%
Isolating with family (126)
7.09%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.38%
Loneliness (175)
9.84%
Financial worries (72)
4.05%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (162)
9.11%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.89%

Watched Threads