The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Economics - Bristol?

Hi, I've got an offer for Accounting & Finance at Bristol, but i've heard this course is not seen as that good at Bristol. Sooo i was wondering if it is possible to change the course once there, to Economics and Finance, or Economics related. My current offer 4 acc & fin is abb, i rekon i can achieve aab. So should i risk this, orrr jus call/e-mail the admissions tutor and ask if i could change it now. Bearing in mind they r seen as a bit snobby, they might just tell me to shove it? Or i cud always go to bham n do economics?
Reply 1
Jazthaman
Hi, I've got an offer for Accounting & Finance at Bristol, but i've heard this course is not seen as that good at Bristol. Sooo i was wondering if it is possible to change the course once there, to Economics and Finance, or Economics related. My current offer 4 acc & fin is abb, i rekon i can achieve aab. So should i risk this, orrr jus call/e-mail the admissions tutor and ask if i could change it now. Bearing in mind they r seen as a bit snobby, they might just tell me to shove it? Or i cud always go to bham n do economics?

mate accounting and finance at bristol is very good :smile: abb is a very low offer from them id take it.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Jazthaman

id do accounting and finance over economics at birmingham btw
Reply 3
Is economics at bham not rated at all? I think id enjoy an economics based degree more than accounting and finance, plus it more broader. So u think i shud take the acc & fin neway n see if i can chnage when i get there, or jus talk 2 admissions tutor to see if they can change it now?
Reply 4
Jazthaman
Is economics at bham not rated at all? I think id enjoy an economics based degree more than accounting and finance, plus it more broader. So u think i shud take the acc & fin neway n see if i can chnage when i get there, or jus talk 2 admissions tutor to see if they can change it now?

accounting and finance has economic elements - i wouldnt put birmingham's economics in the top 10, but still a good uni - if ur much more interested ateconomics - go for birmingham economics or bristol economics :smile: what do u wanna do after uni?
Reply 5
Finance, Banking, maybe investment banking, lol as with most people. Wud i stand a chance doin eitehr degree n getting into investment banking. 1 ting for sure deffinatly do not wana go into accounting.
Reply 6
Jazthaman
Finance, Banking, maybe investment banking, lol as with most people. Wud i stand a chance doin eitehr degree n getting into investment banking. 1 ting for sure deffinatly do not wana go into accounting.

economics give you a better change to get into investment banking imo - tho either will give you a good chance because there are different positions for investment banking. Anyways you have nothing to worry about = an accounting and finance degree at uni is great --> very well regarded. it is the 3rd best in the country at accoutning and finance imo. So yea go and ask bristol whether you can change to economics , if not stick with accounting and finance. If you really dont want to do acocunting and finance ( why apply it in the first place? :confused: ) and go to birmingham.
Reply 7
Well i got rejected 4rm lse 4 acc & fin 2day, so got me thinking bout what 2 do. I guess i applied for acc&fin at Bristol, mainly coz the uni has quite a decent reputation among employers. So hopefully the admissions tutor is still there 2mo. u think an e - mail or a call wud b better?
Reply 8
Jazthaman
Well i got rejected 4rm lse 4 acc & fin 2day, so got me thinking bout what 2 do. I guess i applied for acc&fin at Bristol, mainly coz the uni has quite a decent reputation among employers. So hopefully the admissions tutor is still there 2mo. u think an e - mail or a call wud b better?

i think a call would be better imo but either would be ok :wink:
Reply 9
so what r u applying for/going to apply for/doing. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on this topic.
Reply 10
Jazthaman
so what r u applying for/going to apply for/doing. You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on this topic.

im applying economics at cam,lse,warwick,ucl,man,york -gotta sleep talkl8ters m8
Reply 11
Jazthaman

I wish I could give you my place! I'm rejecting economics at bristol for economics at leeds.
Reply 12
emma_
I wish I could give you my place! I'm rejecting economics at bristol for economics at leeds.

can i ask why you rejected economics at bristol? :confused:
Reply 13
TheWolf
can i ask why you rejected economics at bristol? :confused:

I visited twice but didn't really feel like bristol had any atmosphere, and have heard loads of bad reports from people, where as I loved the atmosphere in leeds, it has both a campus feel to it and is right in the centre, and everyone i know who is there loves it.
Reply 14
Listen Mate,
Economics @ bristol isn't that good to be honest...I think the course there isn't anywhere as good as places like warwick...If u really like economics then do it. BUT if ur just thinking about job prospectus and ... don't bother changing because Acc and Finance is just as good. Plus theres LOADs of people doing Economics so....

I have looked at the course modeules @ bristol and i didn't find it intersting.
Reply 15
HamaL
Listen Mate,
Economics @ bristol isn't that good to be honest...I think the course there isn't anywhere as good as places like warwick...If u really like economics then do it. BUT if ur just thinking about job prospectus and ... don't bother changing because Acc and Finance is just as good. Plus theres LOADs of people doing Economics so....

I have looked at the course modeules @ bristol and i didn't find it intersting.

i dont think that the economics department is the best - but its still decent - gosh why are the entry requirements aaa next year
TheWolf
i dont think that the economics department is the best - but its still decent - gosh why are the entry requirements aaa next year

I don't understand why Bristol give Oxbridge offers out i.e.) AAA all the time. They should realise that they are an inferior uni and the demand for their course, whether it be very high, is not of the same magnitude as the competition for oxbridge places. Their offers should be no more than AAB in my opinion.
Reply 17
bono
I don't understand why Bristol give Oxbridge offers out i.e.) AAA all the time.

It's pretty obvious why they do it but I don't think it's necessary.

bono
the demand for their course, whether it be very high, is not of the same magnitude as the competition for oxbridge places. Their offers should be no more than AAB in my opinion.

False. There's a higher applicant to place ratio at Bristol than Oxbridge. When I went for my Oxford interview (and yes, i did get a place) there were only 4 others per place. The fact is less people apply to Oxbridge thinking they won't get in.
Reply 18
bono
I don't understand why Bristol give Oxbridge offers out i.e.) AAA all the time. They should realise that they are an inferior uni and the demand for their course, whether it be very high, is not of the same magnitude as the competition for oxbridge places. Their offers should be no more than AAB in my opinion.

Maybe you could offer them your advice, I'm sure that due to your vast research on this area and your immsense 'insider knowledge' of Bristol University Economics, your contribution will be more than appreciated. Perhaps you could even coerce them into offering all their students AAB (or whatever else you consider to be more 'reasonable'), after all, how stupid they are just putting up their offers like that despite the lack of demand on their course relative to Oxbridge! Maybe you could even get them to put a banner up at their main entrance, with words "we are inferior to Oxbridge, as we realise this we vow never again to give 'Oxbridge offers' of AAA".

Although, it may lead to a decrease in your a/v post count, so I don't think it would really be worth the trouble:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending