The Student Room Group

Potential gap year, advice on filling it productively?

I'm resitting in summer and thus in the advent of my grades improving, I'll have to go through clearing, which can be precarious, so I'm aware that I will have a better chance of getting a place I desire if I wait a year and reapply.

I'll be applying for, Law, Law/Econ, History and History/Econ. Preferably law or law/econ, does anyone have any advice on how I could spend my gap year productively/ how would I go about achieving this, in relation to the aforementioned courses.

Thanks.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Uni is expensive, so the best advice I can give for a gap year is use it to save! It can be really difficult getting a part time job/paid work in your area of interest though, so try not to be too picky when it comes to paid work - but try get some relevant work experience by volunteering if you can. It shows some good initiative and proves that even though you've taken a year out you've still got an eye on your goal. Even if you find a night course thats relevant that you can do, then you'll be one step ahead of people applying straight from sixth form/college.

Also use the year to read up a lot on current affairs/recent stories relating to your chosen course - a lot of people don't have time to really gen up before their interviews/applications to uni because they're so busy with their a-levels. This will give you plenty to talk about/write about which might differentiate you from the crowd.

Also, use your year to really sort out what you want to do - it doesn't sound like you're overly specific about your course at the moment. Look into different courses/modules on offer at different universities and see which suit your interests best.
A gap year is a really good thing, because it gives you time to fully think through your options - time which is often not given/available when you're applying straight from school/college. It's easy to get caught up in the whirl of everyone around you applying to uni, and not completely think through what is best for you/your future. When you're applying individually, you'll find you make decisions that are best for you, that you might not have considered whilst at school.
Reply 3
Original post by KehRawwr
Uni is expensive, so the best advice I can give for a gap year is use it to save! It can be really difficult getting a part time job/paid work in your area of interest though, so try not to be too picky when it comes to paid work - but try get some relevant work experience by volunteering if you can. It shows some good initiative and proves that even though you've taken a year out you've still got an eye on your goal. Even if you find a night course thats relevant that you can do, then you'll be one step ahead of people applying straight from sixth form/college.

Also use the year to read up a lot on current affairs/recent stories relating to your chosen course - a lot of people don't have time to really gen up before their interviews/applications to uni because they're so busy with their a-levels. This will give you plenty to talk about/write about which might differentiate you from the crowd.

Also, use your year to really sort out what you want to do - it doesn't sound like you're overly specific about your course at the moment. Look into different courses/modules on offer at different universities and see which suit your interests best.
A gap year is a really good thing, because it gives you time to fully think through your options - time which is often not given/available when you're applying straight from school/college. It's easy to get caught up in the whirl of everyone around you applying to uni, and not completely think through what is best for you/your future. When you're applying individually, you'll find you make decisions that are best for you, that you might not have considered whilst at school.

Thank you.
Reply 4
get a job and save money for uni. don't be one of those kids that spends a crap load of work to do charity work in a country nobody cares about
Reply 5
Original post by smd4std
what?

You don't say stuff like that, charity work is for the greater good of humanity, I think you need to get in touch.

Quick Reply

Latest