Can someone please work this out for me?

Watch
la95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This question is a practice question in my notes, and I'm a bit shaky when it comes to calculations so I just wanted to check that the answer I have (62.96%) is correct.

"Calculate the percentage by mass of water of crystallisation in washing soda, sodium carbonate-10-water."

Thanks!
la95
Rep:
?
I've also stumbled upon a question asking how many atoms are in 3.55g of chlorine atoms - the number of moles in 3.55g of chlorine atoms is 0.1 (I think!), but how would I go from here to work out the number of atoms? When I did this question in my booklet, I divided the Avogadro constant by 10 to get my answer, but I read something online about multiplying the number of moles by the Avogadro constant. That method gives me the correct answer in this instance, but can it be applied to any question which asks for the number of atoms (assuming I already have the number of moles)?

These questions probably seem a bit silly, but I'm still quite new to chemistry so parts of it boggle my mind!
BlossomS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're answer to the percentage by mass is correct, although I get 62.94% but that may be due to the atomic masses I used
And in answer to your second question, you always multiply by Avogradro's number to find the number of atoms when you have the number of moles

Posted from TSR Mobile
la95
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlossomS)
You're answer to the percentage by mass is correct, although I get 62.94% but that may be due to the atomic masses I used
And in answer to your second question, you always multiply by Avogradro's number to find the number of atoms when you have the number of moles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for your help!
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Think about mole just as if it was an overgrow dozen. If you are asked "how many balls in half a dozen" the answer is obvious - 0.5*12. When you are asked "how many molecules in half a mole of water" it is exactly the same, just instead of 12 (number of objects in a dozen) you use NA (number of objects in a mole) - so it is 0.5*6.02x1023.
BlossomS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by la95)
Thank you very much for your help!
You're most welcome! Good luck!
la95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borek)
Think about mole just as if it was an overgrow dozen. If you are asked "how many balls in half a dozen" the answer is obvious - 0.5*12. When you are asked "how many molecules in half a mole of water" it is exactly the same, just instead of 12 (number of objects in a dozen) you use NA (number of objects in a mole) - so it is 0.5*6.02x1023.
Thanks for your help! That's a really good way of explaining it!
la95
Rep:
?
You're most welcome! Good luck!
I take it you studied A Level Chemistry?
BlossomS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by la95)
I take it you studied A Level Chemistry?
I did and I'm doing my second year of chemistry now (in Year 13) Are you an AS student?
la95
Rep:
?
I did and I'm doing my second year of chemistry now (in Year 13) Are you an AS student?
Ahh fantastic, how did you do at AS? Sort of - I already have three A Levels, but now I'm doing four further AS Levels (including chemistry)!
BlossomS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by la95)
Ahh fantastic, how did you do at AS? Sort of - I already have three A Levels, but now I'm doing four further AS Levels (including chemistry)!
I was a few marks off an A because of poor practical briefing by teacher Oh wow - what are those A levels? And why are you doing AS again? :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (20)
15.27%
No one else does (48)
36.64%
I'm embarrassed about my background (15)
11.45%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (40)
30.53%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.53%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.53%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads