The Student Room Group

Anyone working Christmas Day?

I'm a waitress at a restaurant where the boss isn't exactly a very good one.

Now I'm led to believe by my friends that most places sort out the Christmas rota months before Christmas. Not my boss!! He started doing the rota the Saturday night just gone and he asked me to work Christmas Day. I asked him what I will be paid for working Christmas Day, as I am also aware that most places pay you triple or double for working such days. He replied saying I won't get paid any more than I normally do. That just completely shocked me, how does he expect to get people to work Christmas Day for no extra money? I'm on minimum wage, which is £5.03 for me. All of us working where I am are on minimum wage, people aren't going to work for minimum wage on Christmas Day! Or at least I don't know anybody that would!

He looked completely baffled and shocked when I said no :s-smilie: Literally everyone has said no to him.

Has anyone else been asked to work Christmas Day? Have you agreed to? Are you being paid extra? If so how much more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Emergency service personnel
Military personnel
Hospital staff
Care home workers
Hospitality staff

To name a few who will be working on Christmas Day.

Say no if you want but don't expect to keep your job and if you do keep it then you'll find it become harder to get days/weeks off as you didn't help out at the busiest time of the year.

Also if I was you. I'd be grateful to have a job especially now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Say you've made plans already,
He shouldn't be doing the rotas this late to be honest, that's very bad management. If it's not a shift you are usually expected to do (i.e. a Wednesday shift during the day) he can't expect you to drop plans you've already made and do those extra hours, especially as it's Christmas day. Double/triple pay for working over Christmas isn't a right, so he isn't obliged to pay you any extra, but he's living in a dream world if he thinks he can just drop this on you at last minute without offering any incentives to do it. If you're only contracted to do a certain amount of hours each week and this Christmas day shift is overtime, refuse. If you have to do the hours as part of your contracted time you may face problems in the future if you don't go in and have difficulty when you want to take a day off as it's ultimately your manager's decision.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Smartcook
Emergency service personnel
Military personnel
Hospital staff
Care home workers
Hospitality staff

To name a few who will be working on Christmas Day.

Say no if you want but don't expect to keep your job and if you do keep it then you'll find it become harder to get days/weeks off as you didn't help out at the busiest time of the year.

Also if I was you. I'd be grateful to have a job especially now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao no one is working Christmas Day apart from the full time workers so I doubt he's going to sack us all:P He wouldn't be able to run the restaurant without us! Every single one of the waitress' have refused:smile:

I am grateful I have a job:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by IntriguedUser
Say you've made plans already,

Yea I have told him that, my family are all coming round! My family even said to me that it's ridiculous that he's left it so late to arrange and that he's expecting us to work Christmas Day (ruin my Christmas really) for no extra pay. They said if I was getting paid more then they wouldn't mind me being away for a few hours but, they refuse to let me work otherwise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm working on Christmas Day but not for too long and I'm getting double pay so it's not too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
He shouldn't be doing the rotas this late to be honest, that's very bad management. If it's not a shift you are usually expected to do (i.e. a Wednesday shift during the day) he can't expect you to drop plans you've already made and do those extra hours, especially as it's Christmas day. Double/triple pay for working over Christmas isn't a right, so he isn't obliged to pay you any extra, but he's living in a dream world if he thinks he can just drop this on you at last minute without offering any incentives to do it. If you're only contracted to do a certain amount of hours each week and this Christmas day shift is overtime, refuse. If you have to do the hours as part of your contracted time you may face problems in the future if you don't go in and have difficulty when you want to take a day off as it's ultimately your manager's decision.

I know tell me about it, he's a poor manager!

No I don't normally work Wednesday's, I only work Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's!

Oh yes I know it's not like law or anything to pay extra but, as you say at such late notice it's stupid!

I haven't even signed a contract! So I'm not entitled to a certain amount of hours each week at all and I don't have to do a certain amount. I'm lucky at the moment if I get one shift a week! I'm looking for another job but, having no luck really so this has got to do because at least I have a job!:smile:

All of the other waitress' mess him about though, like they will have a shift and just don't bother to turn up without telling him.. Others cancel their shifts a lot and this is the first time I have turned down a shift!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Harley
I'm working on Christmas Day but not for too long and I'm getting double pay so it's not too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's no so bad then!:smile: I would happily do it if it wasn't for minimum wage..

Posted from TSR Mobile
My brother has to work Christmas day in an airport, mind you he knew about this for ages. However your manager seems very unorganised.
Reply 10
Original post by Herrington_x
I'm a waitress at a restaurant where the boss isn't exactly a very good one.

Now I'm led to believe by my friends that most places sort out the Christmas rota months before Christmas. Not my boss!! He started doing the rota the Saturday night just gone and he asked me to work Christmas Day. I asked him what I will be paid for working Christmas Day, as I am also aware that most places pay you triple or double for working such days. He replied saying I won't get paid any more than I normally do. That just completely shocked me, how does he expect to get people to work Christmas Day for no extra money? I'm on minimum wage, which is £5.03 for me. All of us working where I am are on minimum wage, people aren't going to work for minimum wage on Christmas Day! Or at least I don't know anybody that would!

He looked completely baffled and shocked when I said no :s-smilie: Literally everyone has said no to him.

Has anyone else been asked to work Christmas Day? Have you agreed to? Are you being paid extra? If so how much more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I am working on Christmas day. I am a Care Assistant, and there's no point complaining about it.
Reply 11
That's no so bad then!:smile: I would happily do it if it wasn't for minimum wage..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I don't mind, I stood my ground and didn't let them walk over me, they left the rota to last minute like your boss did, but I just told them I refused to work past 5 o'clock because I'm having Christmas dinner with my family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rock Fan
My brother has to work Christmas day in an airport, mind you he knew about this for ages. However your manager seems very unorganised.

Yea that's the thing, if I had known much before now then my family could have made plans that fitted around it!

He is very unorganised! He often calls me 10 minutes before the start of my shift and tells me not to come in. Well by then I'm already practically there!! I got there once and I was walking to the staff room, he shouts over to me and tells me to go home! He said that he had meant to call me and tell me before but forgot!

Another time he called me at 5.00pm when I was supposed to start my shift at 7.00pm and asked me to get in for 6.00pm. Baring in mind it takes me more than an hour to get there..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea that's the thing, if I had known much before now then my family could have made plans that fitted around it!

He is very unorganised! He often calls me 10 minutes before the start of my shift and tells me not to come in. Well by then I'm already practically there!! I got there once and I was walking to the staff room, he shouts over to me and tells me to go home! He said that he had meant to call me and tell me before but forgot!

Another time he called me at 5.00pm when I was supposed to start my shift at 7.00pm and asked me to get in for 6.00pm. Baring in mind it takes me more than an hour to get there..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if I could put up working for someone like that, bit like when I worked abroad in Canada, the boss there never put the schedule up till like 2 or 3 days before it was due to start, and expected me to drop everything and come in at a minute's notice.
Original post by Harley
Yeah I don't mind, I stood my ground and didn't let them walk over me, they left the rota to last minute like your boss did, but I just told them I refused to work past 5 o'clock because I'm having Christmas dinner with my family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least my boss isn't the only one then!:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rock Fan
I don't know if I could put up working for someone like that, bit like when I worked abroad in Canada, the boss there never put the schedule up till like 2 or 3 days before it was due to start, and expected me to drop everything and come in at a minute's notice.

Wow.. That is exactly what my boss is like, he doesn't give us much notice at all.

I'm only putting up with it because there are no other jobs!:/ Also, there are people who can't get a job at all so it could be worse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paula92xo
Yes, I am working on Christmas day. I am a Care Assistant, and there's no point complaining about it.

I wouldn't mind working Christmas Day:smile: I should be studying Midwifery next year so I will have to then! It's just the very late notice and minimum wage!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
If it makes you feel any better last year I worked xmas eve, xmas, boxing day, new years eve, new years day, as a waiter.
Original post by pjm600
If it makes you feel any better last year I worked xmas eve, xmas, boxing day, new years eve, new years day, as a waiter.

Oh wow! I could never work all of those days, I'd have to have at least one to spend with family!

Are you working this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Imagine this type of bad practice is commonplace in the catering arena. I would be pleasantly assertive in saying what you are able to do. I think minimum wage for Xmas day is taking the piss. You may not have many employment rights but it is worth joining a union for retail workers. They can give a lot of advice and if needed support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending