LITB4 question Watch

chloevictoria
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For the comparative, I have chosen the following question:
"Profit is sweet, even if it comes from deception." To what extent is this statement true in 'Macbeth' by William Shakespeare and 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens?

For LITB3 we're studying the gothic genre and, having chosen my comparative question beforehand, I am a bit concerned that the texts I have chosen have too many allusions to the gothic genre :/

Would this be allowed? Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chloevictoria)
For the comparative, I have chosen the following question:
"Profit is sweet, even if it comes from deception." To what extent is this statement true in 'Macbeth' by William Shakespeare and 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens?

For LITB3 we're studying the gothic genre and, having chosen my comparative question beforehand, I am a bit concerned that the texts I have chosen have too many allusions to the gothic genre :/

Would this be allowed? Thanks
Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you allowed to entirely construct your own question? My class had to choose from those available in the anthology-which wasn't very many- and nothing else. Then again, you might not have AQA like I do. As to the gothic genre, it should be fine. I'm also doing the gothic genre and I'm doing Dracula for my coursework (specifically feminist perceptions of how the novel portrays its female characters) and my teacher has allowed it. i think you're even allowed to do coursework on the set texts, so long as you write about them in a way which is not explored in the gothic module (if that makes any sense)
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scjman)
Are you allowed to entirely construct your own question? My class had to choose from those available in the anthology-which wasn't very many- and nothing else. Then again, you might not have AQA like I do. As to the gothic genre, it should be fine. I'm also doing the gothic genre and I'm doing Dracula for my coursework (specifically feminist perceptions of how the novel portrays its female characters) and my teacher has allowed it. i think you're even allowed to do coursework on the set texts, so long as you write about them in a way which is not explored in the gothic module (if that makes any sense)
Did you by any chance do the road or Rossetti at AS?
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by games211)
Did you by any chance do the road or Rossetti at AS?
No I'm afraid not. For the aspects of Narrative module, my class did Tennyson, Brownin, The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby
games211
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I'm afraid not. For the aspects of Narrative module, my class did Tennyson, Brownin, The Kite Runner and The Great Gatsby
What did you get for AS, if you don't mind me asking?
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did you get for AS, if you don't mind me asking?
Well I got a C overall for AS. For the exam on this module I only got a D. I did understand the texts, but I don't think I compared them very well and I'm not really very good at the poetry side of things. I'd gotten an A on the Dramatic Comedy coursewok module (an essay each on Twelfth Night and The Importance of Being Earnest). I have higher hopes for A2 as there's no poetry-fo the gothic genre module it's just a novel (Frankenstein), a collection of short stories (The Bloody Chamber) and a play (Dr Faustus)
games211
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I got a C overall for AS. For the exam on this module I only got a D. I did understand the texts, but I don't think I compared them very well and I'm not really very good at the poetry side of things. I'd gotten an A on the Dramatic Comedy coursewok module (an essay each on Twelfth Night and The Importance of Being Earnest). I have higher hopes for A2 as there's no poetry-fo the gothic genre module it's just a novel (Frankenstein), a collection of short stories (The Bloody Chamber) and a play (Dr Faustus)
would you be able to help me with the importance of being earnest?
I will probably get a U for the exam...I would be so happy to get a C
How did you revise for the narrative techniques? Did you use form, structure and language?
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
would you be able to help me with the importance of being earnest?
I will probably get a U for the exam...I would be so happy to get a C
How did you revise for the narrative techniques? Did you use form, structure and language?
You're doing that for the exam? I did mine as a coursework essay. Well initially, I looked in the text and picked quotes that were relevant to what I was writing and i found the rest of the essay seemed to just fall into place, though I did have to give several drafts. I have the essay on my computer if you would like me to upload it? In case you're wondering, I looked at how the settings of town and country contribute to the play's humour
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Here is the essay
Attached files
chloevictoria
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm doing AQA English Literature B :-)

You had to choose from the anthology for your comparative?! We had to choose an aspect of narrative and base ours around that. Then we could choose a quotation from the critical anthology for the critical piece if we wanted to, but it wasn't compulsory.

That's definitely reassuring to hear! My questions were approved by everyone in the English department so hopefully it's all fine (I hope!)

Yeah for our exam we're also doing the Gothic, but we're doing Wuthering Heights, Dr Faustus and The Changeling. My only issue was because Macbeth (gothic) and Great Expectations (aspects of narrative) were listed on the previous lists for AQA but we never studied them...
chloevictoria
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Also - thanks for your reply!
Sofie95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In our class we all learned one text together, and different abilities learned different texts (example, highest ability learned wuthering heights) and we then constructed our own essay on that. For example, madness of women or windows, mine was on the use of literature and writing within the texts as a way of overcoming barriers. Totally your choice on what to write about.

For the last piece we chose our own book, and constructed a question based on the topic in the anthology. Example, I chose an Edgar Allen Poe text, and wrote about the way the symbols highlight humans' inability to escape mortality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%