Make Britain a country?

Watch this thread
ihateocr
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In and ideal world, am I not the only person that would think Britain would function if there was simply just one country, not Wales, Scotland and England?

To maintain this I propose that all the English regions are devolved so that there is less of a nationalist (English,Scottish, Welsh) agenda behind it.

Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Considering Wales has a language of its own and has been fighting against England to keep their land, and Scotland doesn't really like England either..

I don't think it'd work, nor will ever happen.
GenialGermanGent
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You lot hate each other's guts too much for that to happen...
Sheepish153
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Are you implying that it doesn't function as it is? and what about Northern Ireland? Everyone always forgets us
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sheepish153)
Are you implying that it doesn't function as it is? and what about Northern Ireland? Everyone always forgets us
That's cos if we mention you, we might get bombed!
Steezy
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I don't really see the point in changing it?
Sheepish153
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steezy)
That's cos if we mention you, we might get bombed!
Is that seriously your attitude?
JPL9457
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
it is a country, it is a 'country of countries'
Steezy
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Is that seriously your attitude?
What that I never mention Northern Ireland in case I get bombed?

No. No it's not.

But I see the famous Irish sense of humour is now restricted to the South...
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I keep forgetting whether Northern Ireland is in Great Britain or United Kingdom ><

[[Just had a look, NI is within the UK, not GB]]
Extremotroph
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
the last thing we need is more centralisation of power.
Sheepish153
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
What that I never mention Northern Ireland in case I get bombed?

No. No it's not.

But I see the famous Irish sense of humour is now restricted to the South...
If you had to live in a city continuously being disrupted by bomb scares you would probably be as fed up with the whole situation as I am.
Steezy
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If you had to live in a city continuously being disrupted by bomb scares you would probably be as fed up with the whole situation as I am.
Well then my original attitude wasn't too far off the mark.
Sheepish153
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
I keep forgetting whether Northern Ireland is in Great Britain or United Kingdom ><

[[Just had a look, NI is within the UK, not GB]]
Technically yes, but I couldn't count the amount of times a commentator for the olympics or world championships has called the team "GB" for short. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is rather long winded for common use don't you think? Besides the point is, if England, Scotland and Wales were made into one country, what would happen to Northern Ireland?
Sheepish153
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well then my original attitude wasn't too far off the mark.
not really
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Because NI is part of the UK and not the British land-mass and its nearby isles. Would be a bit odd having this big-ass island as a country, then half of the next big-ass island also part of the country. :lol:
I suppose America did it with Alaska though.
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Technically yes, but I couldn't count the amount of times a commentator for the olympics or world championships has called the team "GB" for short. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is rather long winded for common use don't you think? Besides the point is, if England, Scotland and Wales were made into one country, what would happen to Northern Ireland?
Couldn't they just say UK? I mean, isn't that just being a bit misleading and lazy for the commentator calling it GB?

If the three countries WERE to be put together (and all the fights have calmed down), NI would probably feel more excluded. If anything I'm sure they'd try to join NI in it too, possibly causing further grumbles from SI? I'm not too sure about how the situation over there stands currently to this day..
Sheepish153
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CJKay)
Because NI is part of the UK and not the British Isles. Would be a bit odd having this big-ass island as a country, then half of the next big-ass island also part of the country. :lol:
I suppose America did it with Alaska though.
NI is part of the British Isles, as is the rest of Ireland and the Isle of Man...
Sheepish153
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
Couldn't they just say UK? I mean, isn't that just being a bit misleading and lazy for the commentator calling it GB?

If the three countries WERE to be put together (and all the fights have calmed down), NI would probably feel more excluded. If anything I'm sure they'd try to join NI in it too, possibly causing further grumbles from SI? I'm not too sure about how the situation over there stands currently to this day..
Yeah..lazy..or emotive. He can't exactly say "Great UK"! I'm not sure the south really cares whether the north is joined to them or not. Just a few political groups (one in particular) that can't let go of the past :/
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
NI is part of the British Isles, as is the rest of Ireland and the Isle of Man...
By British Isles I meant Great Britain and, well, its isles, rather than the named British Isles (I highly doubt Guernsey and Jersey would be a part of a country if it were to happen).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (212)
42.4%
The paper was reasonable (217)
43.4%
Not feeling great about that exam... (45)
9%
It was TERRIBLE (26)
5.2%

Watched Threads