The Student Room Group

Make Britain a country?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nah, England will always be England.
Original post by Snagprophet
Standardisation?

It's called colonialism-the same reason hardly anyone in Ireland speaks Irish as a family language though obviously a much more thorough job was done here. One of the boys was fond of using wikipedia to tell me my opinion on what my own country is called doesn't matter. Google is your friend.
Original post by BaileIuiliain
Do you want to ask wikipedia or people in Ireland? I thought I lived in a democracy here? I know it's difficult for some of you with your form and everything. Ain't a case of giving things up, more like realising t'wasn't yours to begin with horse.

With my form? I have no idea what you mean. I think you think that I am stiffly loyal to the "crown" or something. I know my history. I have an education and I know what happened in these islands in the past. I don't think anyone in Britain could change the term "British Isles" and I don't think anyone except some hardcore patriotic english people would be bothered if the rest of the world stopped calling it that. It's simply a phrase! Tell you what, you call it what you like but it will only cause confusion.
As for apologies and all that, we'd be here for ever if we wanted all governments to apologize for all the errors of their country in the past.
To be frank there are bigger things to worry about. Try globalisation and neo-colonialism for starters. People are suffering exploitation now and I and many other people my age care more about that than grumbling over the past and waiting for an apology from a man who had no role in what happened in the past.
Original post by L i b
It really depends. It's largely a historical question - there's very little we could do about it at the moment.

However, realistically, the UK Government could have eliminated subnational identities within the UK to some degree if it had made the effort. It chose not to, instead being relatively comfortable with the differences and distinctions. Indeed, modern Scottish identity was largely invented by the Victorians who were, of course, heavily pro-UK but also romanticised Scottish history and culture.

Would things have been easier to govern? Historically, no, probably not. In modern times, yes. Let's say you had tried to chisel away at Scotland as a country - would you have tried to merge the Church of Scotland into an Anglican UK-wide church? That would have been necessary to align the education systems, which are largely divergent because they grew out of the church.

Too many variables really.

That my friend is colonialism. You know it better as Nazism.
Reply 84
Original post by Sheepish153
Technically yes, but I couldn't count the amount of times a commentator for the olympics or world championships has called the team "GB" for short. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is rather long winded for common use don't you think? Besides the point is, if England, Scotland and Wales were made into one country, what would happen to Northern Ireland?

Can you blame the commentators, when Team GB is the accepted brand name, adopted by the BOA? Besides, "Team UK" would be just as inaccurate/misleading.

Original post by ihateocr
In and ideal world, am I not the only person that would think Britain would function if there was simply just one country, not Wales, Scotland and England?

As mentioned, you forgot Northern Ireland.

The United Kingdom is a single country. It's just a country of countries. Devolution (the Scottish, Welsh and NI Assemblies/Parliaments) are relatively new, being only around 10 years old, Though I know that even before devolution Scotland had its own educational and legal system.

Though perhaps you're making a more general point about sub-national identities and a perceived lack of unity?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sheepish153
With my form? I have no idea what you mean. I think you think that I am stiffly loyal to the "crown" or something. I know my history. I have an education and I know what happened in these islands in the past. I don't think anyone in Britain could change the term "British Isles" and I don't think anyone except some hardcore patriotic english people would be bothered if the rest of the world stopped calling it that. It's simply a phrase! Tell you what, you call it what you like but it will only cause confusion.
As for apologies and all that, we'd be here for ever if we wanted all governments to apologize for all the errors of their country in the past.
To be frank there are bigger things to worry about. Try globalisation and neo-colonialism for starters. People are suffering exploitation now and I and many other people my age care more about that than grumbling over the past and waiting for an apology from a man who had no role in what happened in the past.

It's all very well and I'm with you all the way on that last paragraph but bottom line is it ain't upto you what it's called and I've never heard any English speaker from somewhere outside of England, the BBC weather studio(which calls it the British isles but doesn't do weather south of the border for the auld rascals) or maybe East Belfast call it 'The British Isles' and I would include Scottish people, Americans, South Africans and Canadians in that. It's very simple to call it Ireland and Northern Ireland even if you think Ireland should remain as it is, which I'm sure most people on a British forum do.

Alex Salmond to be fair to him always refers to it as 'These islands' which is the right way to go about it. People ain't gonna have no interest in international co-operation if you go around calling them what they aren't.
Reply 86
Scottish people 1'000 years ago all spoke Irish and up until the 14th,15th century and even as recently as Elizabethan times in the late 16th century when Britons ancestors were busy stealing, killing and pillaging, they were closer to Ireland than Britain militarily, linguistically, culturally and I remember reading both countries had a similar population around then too.

Britain claiming to own Scotland would be like Ireland claiming to own Scotland or the Isle of Man. Scottish Gaelic and Manx are like Donegal Irish. Why can't you just let them make up their own minds? If they say no, nothing will change. If they say yes, very little will actually change. You really think there'll be an international border on your island? Cop on. The only difference will be the Scots get to move on and live their own lives, you might have to shift those nuclear weapons somewhere else, and maybe Scotland will need its' own punt like Ireland did(and does). I think some people in Britain sometimes have a serious superiority complex about them.

It is right though that all of this is pretty irrelevant unless the EU can be reformed or replaced or even done away with.

Do you mean England when you say Britain? Of course Scotland is part of Britain. Britain as a state didn't exist until England and Scotland joined together. Scotland is as much Britain as England is. So of course Britain claims to own Scotland, because Scotland is and always has been part of Britain. Obviously if Scotland becomes independent, we'll probably have to redefine what "Britain" is, but for now Scotland is a fundamental part of it.
Reply 87
Scottish people 1'000 years ago all spoke Irish and up until the 14th,15th century and even as recently as Elizabethan times in the late 16th century when Britons ancestors were busy stealing, killing and pillaging, they were closer to Ireland than Britain militarily, linguistically, culturally and I remember reading both countries had a similar population around then too.

Britain claiming to own Scotland would be like Ireland claiming to own Scotland or the Isle of Man. Scottish Gaelic and Manx are like Donegal Irish. Why can't you just let them make up their own minds? If they say no, nothing will change. If they say yes, very little will actually change. You really think there'll be an international border on your island? Cop on. The only difference will be the Scots get to move on and live their own lives, you might have to shift those nuclear weapons somewhere else, and maybe Scotland will need its' own punt like Ireland did(and does). I think some people in Britain sometimes have a serious superiority complex about them.

It is right though that all of this is pretty irrelevant unless the EU can be reformed or replaced or even done away with.

I wasn't talking about language, but even so, we've got so much in common that there is no distinction between the cultures of Britain other then the "less touched" areas like outer Hebrides or Gwnyedd.
Everyone is so far detached from London outside of the South-east, yet there is the general view in Scotland/Wales we have lots in common with it.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Why would the South care because it's not being recognised as part of Britain?

The Irish elite, Castle Irish and gombeens who own the oligarchical press and control the three major parties might kick up a fuss, even though the non elitist Anglo Irish viewpoint honest, frank and inclusive as it is South of the border(totally different dog to Orange Unionism) with people like David Norris for example who is widely loved by the Irish public, and even Shane Ross I suppose, only makes up about 1-2% of Dublin opinion, never mind the wider public viewing on Irish nationalism.

Most Irish voters are conservative nationalists in my experience. I'd be nothing like that, and neither would all the people my age forced to leave, but that's my experience. What annoys a lot of Irish people though is the SINDO wingnuttery that drives the agenda of strenghtening Anglo Irish relations to the point of saying nothing over Dublin and Monaghan bombings and allowing nuclear power stations being built only a few hours from Meath, Dublin and Wexford. The reabsorption of the Irish elite into Whitehall's radar has a lot to do with the attitude to the Irish as 'not real foreigners' compared to themmuns in Brussels and now that the game is nearly up, the boyos need cheap food, a dumping yard for the windmills, and good affordable productive land(I ain't talking about the ongoing Dublin bubble thougha s that's driven by nutters in Russia, China and America speculating and gambling). In some ways we will end up back in the 1500s because Britain needs energy and food security and Ireland has both. The only question is will people just let themselves be exploited and ripped off, but I'm not holding my breath.

The unofficial Unionism of Official Ireland just annoys me and others because it's dishonest, sneaky and underhand presenting itself as 'in the national interest', as though it ain't unionism when it is. The Trinity College or East Belfast unionists, two other traditions(moderate and well, yes extreme) at least are up front in their merits or demerits.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by MagicNMedicine
WTF is this thread

The UK is a country.

It has a shared government, currency and army.

Yes there are devolved powers to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales but its the same in the USA where a lot of powers are devolved down to state level.

The UK works well as it is and people should treat NI with the same respect as any other part of the country.

This. I think this thread has been pretty successful in establishing that the eradication of the constituents of the United Kingdom only descends into further arguments. :tongue:
Reply 90
It's all very well and I'm with you all the way on that last paragraph but bottom line is it ain't upto you what it's called and I've never heard any English speaker from somewhere outside of England, the BBC weather studio(which calls it the British isles but doesn't do weather south of the border for the auld rascals) or maybe East Belfast call it 'The British Isles' and I would include Scottish people, Americans, South Africans and Canadians in that. It's very simple to call it Ireland and Northern Ireland even if you think Ireland should remain as it is, which I'm sure most people on a British forum do.

Alex Salmond to be fair to him always refers to it as 'These islands' which is the right way to go about it. People ain't gonna have no interest in international co-operation if you go around calling them what they aren't.

I prefer the term "British and Irish isles". Or just "Britain and Ireland", "UK and Ireland", etc. "These isles" is pretty vague, and doesn't make sense if you're talking about them from the outside. Terms like "Island Of the North Atlantic" are a bit silly really, since by rights they should include Iceland and a load of other islands.
Original post by Psyk
Do you mean England when you say Britain? Of course Scotland is part of Britain. Britain as a state didn't exist until England and Scotland joined together. Scotland is as much Britain as England is. So of course Britain claims to own Scotland, because Scotland is and always has been part of Britain. Obviously if Scotland becomes independent, we'll probably have to redefine what "Britain" is, but for now Scotland is a fundamental part of it.

By and large, yeah. Most of these acts of unions happened through corruption and blackmail. 'Bought and sold with English gold'.

It's upto the Scots though. I've no problem with whatever they decide, but I am just defending the right of small nations to be small nations as opposed to neglected regions. I'm also a big fan of Salmond's Scandinavian style politics. Would be a big improvement on the Thatcherite Labour party Ireland has, and I suppose SF and the emerging independent centre and independent left and far left are making inroads in Ireland in that regard.

Britain used to be a great country after World war two. Why don't you all go back to the ideas of Clement Atlee? Must be the only British Leader who helped people in their everyday lives and decolonised as opposed to starting wars. I'm a big fan of the tradition of the welfare state, NHS etc. but the last thirty years that's become 'extreme' for some reason and 'unaffordable'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ihateocr
I wasn't talking about language, but even so, we've got so much in common that there is no distinction between the cultures of Britain other then the "less touched" areas like outer Hebrides or Gwnyedd.
Everyone is so far detached from London outside of the South-east, yet there is the general view in Scotland/Wales we have lots in common with it.

Good point but the referendum will be the first time ever Scottish people make the decision as opposed to corrupted and blackmailed parliamentarians. Maybe England needs some devolution? Strong identity there too that needs an outlet, isn't there? Would hate it to be bottled up and have a BNP/Farage coalition going to war with Le Pen or something in ten years. Stranger things have happened.

I suppose ideally a bit of leftwing politics and moderate nationalism like in Scotland can be healthy if properly channeled I mean. Nationalism in Ireland is pretty much defined to anti-eu anti-foreigner resentment if you aren't a SF voter or a gombeen voting conservative.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
That my friend is colonialism. You know it better as Nazism.

You might want to re-read what he wrote. Britain didn't usually attempt to eradicate national identity. So if you're saying that's what colonialism is, then that implies that the British weren't colonialists. Which is of course completely absurd because they were the biggest colonialists in history.

Either way colonialism and Nazism are distinctly different concepts. They refer to completely orthogonal things.
Original post by Psyk
I prefer the term "British and Irish isles". Or just "Britain and Ireland", "UK and Ireland", etc. "These isles" is pretty vague, and doesn't make sense if you're talking about them from the outside. Terms like "Island Of the North Atlantic" are a bit silly really, since by rights they should include Iceland and a load of other islands.

That'd be fine. Just say something that distinguishes it is what I'd like. We might have a lot in common(language, probably close on an EU level as a result and a mutual distrust of Brussels and Frankfurt, and all the rest like soccer, sport, music etc.) but the end of the day, there are two different states and whatever else happens, that at least will not change unless more states come into being, not less. Retaining the right to be different I suppose. One fella earlier was saying the UK state should have eradicated sub national identities so it might seem like nothing, but like anything this attitude worsens if it's throwaway or deliberate. Eradicating identities, or trying to, was the whole problem in the first place.

It's like being asked am I a European or do I speak English. Doesn't change what I already was.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Psyk
You might want to re-read what he wrote. Britain didn't usually attempt to eradicate national identity. So if you're saying that's what colonialism is, then that implies that the British weren't colonialists. Which is of course completely absurd because they were the biggest colonialists in history.

Either way colonialism and Nazism are distinctly different concepts. They refer to completely orthogonal things.

Yeah but he said they SHOULD have which is a colonial attitude, the point I was making. Besides we know they did in Ireland and Scotland anyways and even in Wales linguistically speaking which is enough to merit that label. I won't go any further as I genuinely don't know all the history of India or South Africa or Egypt but hard to believe it would be a whole lot different. What I do know is some of the first concentration camps were for the Afrikaans people during the Boer war, not during world war two.
Reply 96
Well they tried their best to eradicate Irish culture and identity
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
OP this is a great idea. I can't believe that nobody has ever thought of this before. We could call it the Kingdom of Britain. While we are at it we could unite Ireland and call it the Kingdom of Ireland. Then another genius plan after that would be to unite these two kingdoms and call them the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.

I can't believe this hasn't been suggested before 2013...

That's because it is a menial part of the UK that was born out of bigotry and hatred.

In fairness to Lloyd George the partitioning of Ireland was like what the Belgians tried in the Congo. It was largely to do with monetary and economic as well as imperial interests, from land to shipbuilding to military bases. The British elite never really hated us, they just exploited us and saw us as dogs.

Speaking of dogs, the Orange State was just a useful attack dog to scare the Paddies back into line as the argument was partition at gun to the head. By the time Irish people were asked about it in 1998, the damage was done and sectarianism was institutionalised more as a tactic than as hatred, and people were shepherded into voting for something most of them hadn't read, which is the norm when Ireland's constitution tries to protect its' citizens rights.
Reply 98
Yeah but he said they SHOULD have which is a colonial attitude, the point I was making.

Read it again. Lib said they could have, not that they should have. Someone else said that.

Besides we know they did in Ireland and Scotland anyways and even in Wales linguistically speaking which is enough to merit that label. I won't go any further as I genuinely don't know all the history of India or South Africa or Egypt but hard to believe it would be a whole lot different. What I do know is some of the first concentration camps were for the Afrikaans people during the Boer war, not during world war two.

In most places I don't think they particularly tried to eradicate the local identities, they just didn't particularly care about them or respect them. Hence why Africa is a load of straight lines with different ethnic groups being split across borders.

And yes, they did have concentration camps. But they weren't for rounding up and exterminating people like many of the Nazi ones were.

They were not Nazis. Nazism is quite a specific thing. At various times the British authorities may have had some ideological similarities with the Nazis, or had similar policies, but that doesn't mean they were the same as Nazis.
(edited 10 years ago)
In fairness to Lloyd George the partitioning of Ireland was like what the Belgians tried in the Congo. It was largely to do with monetary and economic as well as imperial interests, from land to shipbuilding to military bases. The British elite never really hated us, they just exploited us and saw us as dogs.

Speaking of dogs, the Orange State was just a useful attack dog to scare the Paddies back into line as the argument was partition at gun to the head. By the time Irish people were asked about it in 1998, the damage was done and sectarianism was institutionalised more as a tactic than as hatred, and people were shepherded into voting for something most of them hadn't read, which is the norm when Ireland's constitution tries to protect its' citizens rights.

The point I was making was that had it not been for the bigotry and hatred, how unionists would refuse to be ruled by a bunch of papists because they were seen as inferior, then home rule would have been granted and there would have been no NI, not under the same circumstances at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending