Turn on thread page Beta

'the oxford story' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Was in Oxford today and went on this. This is the best thing in the entire world ever. I can't quite believe it exists. Cambridge should DEFINITELY get one. It's basically like a dark ride that attempts to explain the history of Oxford. You arrive outside this fake college, and go in and this voice asks you to 'enter the JCR for a chat.' Then you watch this video of oxford students bumming around in quads and being divinely inspired in supervisions. Then you step through (being quiet so as not to disturb a pretend student who's sitting in the corner having an essay crisis) and sit in these little trains that are shaped like DESKS and you go around this huge building and listen to the story of Oxford. It's told in different languages, including "Children's English, read by Timmy Mallet." My favourite bit is the creepy stuffed King Charles Spaniel that appears when they try to explain Oxford's role in the civil war.

ReputationRep:
    I have visited this 'attraction', to my shame. Yes, the children's commentary is narrated by Timmy Mallet in possibly the worst piece of casting in history. I don't remember the King Charles Spaniel, but I think the term 'creepy' could be applied to the entire ride without too much trouble :p:

ReputationRep:
    "Mr. Mallet, Mr. Mallet.... can I go to the Toil-let?" :p:

Cam needs one too. Only better. Naturally. Maybe we should convert Corpus or something? Its not as if anyone would miss it...

ReputationRep:
    Good idea JT, who wants a real college when we could have a fake one with desks that run on train tracks (or perhaps the visitors could sit on a wobbly tripos in Cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    Is there not a similar thing in Cambridge near the Round Church? Definitely something called "The Cambridge Story", not sure if it's a comedy ride though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    Good idea JT, who wants a real college when we could have a fake one with desks that run on train tracks (or perhaps the visitors could sit on a wobbly tripos in Cambridge)
    Of course! I mean, why bother with a prestigious seat of academic learning and world-class research when we can have a train shaped like desks? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Now this is something I will surely need to check out when I get there.

In good time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    Is there not a similar thing in Cambridge near the Round Church? Definitely something called "The Cambridge Story", not sure if it's a comedy ride though...
    Come September, I'm there. I'm a great lover of being disparaging about tourist tat..

ReputationRep:
    i must go!

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought the first post was some kind of parody/joke thing until I saw the second post confirmed it exists.

It sounds like it's mixed the economics of mass tourism with the somewhat deranged and detatched world of Oxbridge....?

ReputationRep:
    I thought exactly the same- "This has GOT to be a joke..."

ReputationRep:
    Not a joke, though I've never been in, should really get some friends together and go for a laugh though . From the touristy people I've met it seems to be quite a popular attraction.

ReputationRep:
    haven't been either...now I almost certainly shall not...but - yea - I go to the newsagents next door a lot and its almost always packed...

ReputationRep:
    I second the proposal to turn Corpus into a ride. It's tiny, and quite pretty, and looks very much the typical "oxbridge college". Plus, as mentioned above, nobody would really miss it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    haven't been either...now I almost certainly shall not...but - yea - I go to the newsagents next door a lot and its almost always packed...
    Wendy News, is it ? Think I've been a few times, but only back in the first term.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on that! It's hilarious. Me, my dad and my brother were in the same desk and I swear it was a miracle it managed to hoist our weight up the tracks (because it's rickety, not because we're all obese. Just to clear that up :p:) I liked it though, it made me laugh

Don't be mean about Corpus, I applied there! lol... pelicans...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    I second the proposal to turn Corpus into a ride. It's tiny, and quite pretty, and looks very much the typical "oxbridge college". Plus, as mentioned above, nobody would really miss it.
    Ed would. You DO know Ed, don't you? Fire troupe Ed?

I just want to prove my theory that EVERYONE knows him!

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldfish

Ed? yeah... of course... :dontknow:

But, may be next year - i second, or third, or whatever Corpus, then i can have a theme park ride accross the road... hehehe... that could amuse me endlessly.

I think i went to the oxford experience years and years and years ago... hmm... ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)

i only know him THROUGH YOU. so that doesnt count :p:

on topic: *is astounded by the surrealism*

ReputationRep:
    We should do St John's instead of Corpus. I certainly won't miss John's, would you?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.