fraserp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just curious to see if anyone is familiar with the US college system and if my SAT scores are good enough for MIT. Bear in mind that I'm an international student.

Math II Subject SAT- 800
Physics Subject SAT- 790

Maths SAT- 790
Writing SAT- 710
Reading SAT- 620

SAT TOTAL: 2120

Just wondering if I have a chance!
Bear in mind that I also have a strong application- I have good extra curriculars and spend a lot of my time programming.
Thanks
sjaan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The reading SAT is a bit on the low end. Try get it to 700. Go on college confidential, people over there are more experienced.

Out of curiosity, are you studying A-levels?
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fraserp)
Just curious to see if anyone is familiar with the US college system and if my SAT scores are good enough for MIT. Bear in mind that I'm an international student.

Math II Subject SAT- 800
Physics Subject SAT- 790

Maths SAT- 790
Writing SAT- 710
Reading SAT- 620

SAT TOTAL: 2120

Just wondering if I have a chance!
Bear in mind that I also have a strong application- I have good extra curriculars and spend a lot of my time programming.
Thanks
Seeing as your an international student your chances are already extremely low regardless of grades and all. On their website it states that only 115 international students were admitted out of 4363 (2.6% acceptance rate)

This is there middle 50% score range of admitted students - 25th & 75% percentile (SATI)

Maths: [750, 800]
Critical Reading: [690, 790]
Writing: [700, 790]

From looking at this data i would say that your maths is v good but your writing/critical reading need some great improvements as your at the 25th percentile for writing but way lower for CR. Try boosting your critical reading/writing scores so that they are above the 75 percentile to increase your chances.

(SAT II)
Maths: [760, 800]
Physics: [740, 800]

Your SAT II scores are definately excellent so need to worry about these. Just focus on improving your SAT I scores then you can super score (this is when you add up your best scores on each section to maximize your total score).

From personal experience from doing official practice test for both SAT I and ACT, i think you should try the ACT. The ACT contains a science section which might help boost your composite score. I am more of a maths/science oriented student like you and did way better on the ACT than SAT due to the fact that the ACT's questions are more direct. Seeing as the CR section (vocab) is your weakest point i would definitely advice you to do the ACT as it doesnt directly test your vocab.

Hope i was helpful

(Got all the stats from MIT's website: http://mitadmissions.org/apply/process/stats)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.46%
I'm not sure (26)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (182)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.07%
I'm not a current university student (277)
47.68%

Watched Threads