Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im not fond of cleaning and currently my mum does everything for me , she even makes my breakfast every morning and im 18 . however when i get married im fully prepared and expect to take part in conjugal roles, I think women are lucky to get to spend so much time with their kids tbh and will be prepared to get stuck in at all opportunities. There's no way i could have a wife that waited on me hand and foot, It wouldn't feel right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It depends as in my experience women are much more obsessed with doing housework than men. Sometimes to the extent where they go over the top with the cleaning and washing etc. So I don't think that it will ever be shared equally, just because women seem to for some reason get much more satisfaction out of doing it.
    Erm where have you heard that? I sure damn would like my husband to help me with the house work and so would many of the women I know. Also those who are married or living with a partner with kids make sure their other half help them out. Many women who are esp brought up in an independant way wouldn;t definitely want to do the house work.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO at the entire concept of this thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoney)
    thats a tad harsh to women who decide that that is how they wish to live thier lives isnt it? for women to have freedom and equality they must be free to make thier own decisions even if that is a decision which you feel is a bad one. If you think it's bad for women fine you dont do it just leave other women to make thier own decisions.
    I feel quite passionatly about this. I can't stress enough the concept of OPINION. Granted, I was harsh....to stress what I think.
    I think its a total waste of a life and everyone in that situation who I've met are never satisfied. I'm a selfish person. I think life should be about pleasing yourself...can cooking and cleaning really be that satisfactory for anyone? I can't get my head around that concept....I'm talking to extreme levels here though. I mean, sharing household duties yeah, having a job and a life outside of being that household slave yeah....but women that ONLY do that...nono.

(Original post by Poison Ivy)
    Erm where have you heard that? I sure damn would like my husband to help me with the house work and so would many of the women I know. Also those who are married or living with a partner with kids make sure their other half help them out. Many women who are esp brought up in an independant way wouldn;t definitely want to do the house work.
    It comes from my experience of sharing a house with women at university and from seeing my girlfriend's behaviour. The sad fact is that some women seem to have an unnatural obsession with doing domestic chores and this means that they will always end up doing the majority of them. Obviously what I am saying does not apply to every single woman, but it is certainly something I have noticed in my own life. Maybe it is because they have seen their own mothers doing all of the housework.

ReputationRep:
    Imo, women do generally like to be cleaner, and the only reason women seem obsessed with cleaning is because the men won't do it, and they don't like it. My Mum is cleaning and cooking 24/7 but I know she hates it,she complains enough, she still does it though. Im sure there are a very very small percentage of women who do like doing it, but i reckon this whole women should be able to choose is a *******s excuse for weak men who want the women doing all the work for them, most of the time women don't even choose to do all the work, its an expectation, and are sort of coaxed into it without realising it. I wouldn't have any wife of mine doing all the cooking and cleaning unless I was 100% convinced she loved doing it, which is quite unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    I think men and women have different roles, and both are best doing what they're strong at.

That said, household "chores" should be shared between husband and wife, and the wife should be allowed to work if she wants.

But I don't think she should work if it obstructs her raising the children. If you end up having to put kids in daytime childcare I think its very very wrong.

I can't remember who but someone in this thread mentioned they wouldn't ever have children because the main point of their life was their career :eek: That shocked me a bit...

-Rashid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    Imo, women do generally like to be cleaner, and the only reason women seem obsessed with cleaning is because the men won't do it, and they don't like it. My Mum is cleaning and cooking 24/7 but I know she hates it,she complains enough, she still does it though. Im sure there are a very very small percentage of women who do like doing it, but i reckon this whole women should be able to choose is a *******s excuse for weak men who want the women doing all the work for them, most of the time women don't even choose to do all the work, its an expectation, and are sort of coaxed into it without realising it. I wouldn't have any wife of mine doing all the cooking and cleaning unless I was 100% convinced she loved doing it, which is quite unlikely.

can i marry you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinder)
    I feel quite passionatly about this. I can't stress enough the concept of OPINION. Granted, I was harsh....to stress what I think.
    I think its a total waste of a life and everyone in that situation who I've met are never satisfied. I'm a selfish person. I think life should be about pleasing yourself...can cooking and cleaning really be that satisfactory for anyone? I can't get my head around that concept....I'm talking to extreme levels here though. I mean, sharing household duties yeah, having a job and a life outside of being that household slave yeah....but women that ONLY do that...nono.
    definately yeah women who do that 24/7 are slaves i totally agree (not sure there are many who do that tho). i believe personally that housework should be shared as equally as is possible given the circumstances, but what i meant in my post was that we shouldnt criticize women for thier life decisions as we are supposed to treat all individuals and therefore genders equally (but i spose you were only giving (and are free to give) your opinion). some women obviously do make this decision so while i understand how you feel about it not being satisfactory for anyone, its obvious that to some women it is and i just wonder the extent to which it is fair to have a go at them for that, i dont like dogs all that much some people love em, go figure

It is not about women liking to be cleaner, it is the fact that a lot of the cleaning I have seen women doing in my opinion has gone beyond what is necessary. It is almost as if they seem to enjoy spending their free time doing household chores. This is the real problem and although the women on this thread might be arguing that they want equality when it comes to household work, we all know that they are likely to be the ones who end up doing most of the work- mainly because they make the choice to do it themselves and seem to get pleasure out of it!

ReputationRep:
    Why should women be treated equally when they're not? Men are the superior sex, women should definitely be left to the easy tasks of cleaning, taking care of the kids and generally looking good for their husband.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rashid)
    I think men and women have different roles, and both are best doing what they're strong at.

That said, household "chores" should be shared between husband and wife, and the wife should be allowed to work if she wants.

But I don't think she should work if it obstructs her raising the children. If you end up having to put kids in daytime childcare I think its very very wrong.

I can't remember who but someone in this thread mentioned they wouldn't ever have children because the main point of their life was their career :eek: That shocked me a bit...

-Rashid
    :eek: allowed?????

it was me who said that career was more important to me than children. i don't see why thats a bad thing. everyone has a preference. i just don't care for children, i don't see the joy/benefit in having them if they really aren't important to me, it wouldnt be fair on the kids. also bear in mind i am 17 and right now the focal point of my life is working towards my career, so im not really thinking about children. at 30, i might be. but i seriously doubt it. it's not that i don't like children, its more that i am indifferent to them. does that still make it bad for me to not want children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    Why should women be treated equally when they're not? Men are the superior sex, women should definitely be left to the easy tasks of cleaning, taking care of the kids and generally looking good for their husband.
    your kidding right????!?! tell me your kidding :mad:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I seriously didn't expect hearing that from youdude!

ReputationRep:
    If that isn't sarcasm then I'm worried about young guys all over. [This isn't the first time I've heard people 'our' age express such views so I'm not shocked, just surprised it's *you*]

At the end of the day if a woman is happy staying at home, cooking, cleaning, preening and waiting for her husband who brings home the bacon, good for her - but there should in no way be a "rule" for these kinds of things. Let couples do as couples feel fit, that's what I think. I personally wouldn't adopt this role, I want my own career, but if people want to I'm not going to tell them they're being walked all over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It is not about women liking to be cleaner, it is the fact that a lot of the cleaning I have seen women doing in my opinion has gone beyond what is necessary. It is almost as if they seem to enjoy spending their free time doing household chores. This is the real problem and although the women on this thread might be arguing that they want equality when it comes to household work, we all know that they are likely to be the ones who end up doing most of the work- mainly because they make the choice to do it themselves and seem to get pleasure out of it!
    no, that is not why women end up doing most of the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain88)
    can i marry you
    as long as we can share the chores :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rashid)
    -Rashid
    i would suggest that she could work and he pays attention to the children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain88)
    no, that is not why women end up doing most of the work.
    It is in some cases, my mum won't even *let* my dad clean or iron or wash because *she* loves doing it and wants it done properly. Don't over-generalise.

ReputationRep:
    If women agree with this why not...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.