Should women stay at home and serve men? Watch

Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by x.narb.x)
Why should women be treated equally when they're not? Men are the superior sex, women should definitely be left to the easy tasks of cleaning, taking care of the kids and generally looking good for their husband.
Agreed. Although when you say easy tasks you have to remember that these tasks are not that easy for women, especially the looking good for their husbands part!
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Put it this way:

I will assume that any man I marry will share housework/childcare/salary equally with me. Perhaps we will have a short conversation about it, his failure to agreeing to sharing all aspects of life equally resulting in me leaving him.

If, once we are married, he stops doing his half of the housework, his half of the childcare or his half of the earning, then there will be serious talks. It is not my job to clean a house that we both live in and take care of children that we both conceived, on my own, just as it is not my job to support us financially on my own. If the husband carries on refusing to do his half of the work, then I wouldn't be able to live with him.

Its not about feminism, or politics. I'm a human, I want a job, respect, understanding and I want to be with a person who is considerate enough to do half of all the work, because he would be half of our marriage. I just don't feel that its my responsibility to do certain 'female' jobs. He can burp a baby and wield a mop just as well as I can.
scary_mary
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mysterious lady)
Well, basically, I am just wondering. Guys, do you think that women should stay at home, cook for you, clean the house, take care of the children etc?
And ladies, what do you think about this? I have a few friends from different cultures and some of them say that they are brought up that way, as in the girls serve the boys and the boys are the head of everything.

Feel free to post whatever your thoughts are on this issue, or you can debate about it if you want.:rolleyes:
Yes. No Question.

Feminism is a crock.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If I ever become dependent on a woman for cooking my meals or washing my clothes then you have my permission to shoot me.

For me masculinity is about independence and blokes who can't cook or look after themselves domestically are pathetic, they put themselves at the mercy of women's kindness and they aren't real men.
zain88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Put it this way:

I will assume that any man I marry will share housework/childcare/salary equally with me. Perhaps we will have a short conversation about it, his failure to agreeing to sharing all aspects of life equally resulting in me leaving him.

If, once we are married, he stops doing his half of the housework, his half of the childcare or his half of the earning, then there will be serious talks. It is not my job to clean a house that we both live in and take care of children that we both conceived, on my own, just as it is not my job to support us financially on my own. If the husband carries on refusing to do his half of the work, then I wouldn't be able to live with him.

Its not about feminism, or politics. I'm a human, I want a job, respect, understanding and I want to be with a person who is considerate enough to do half of all the work, because he would be half of our marriage. I just don't feel that its my responsibility to do certain 'female' jobs. He can burp a baby and wield a mop just as well as I can.
you just spoke my mind
Happyness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my view is completely the oppsoite of this, but some philosopher quoted;

"a woman is, by nature, inferior to man, just like a child is inferior to an adult"
Sheen
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Put it this way:

here! here!
zain88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
however if i expect my partner to do half the housework then i also expect myself to do DIY jobs, deal with car repairs, fix the tv etc, ie "manly jobs". in fact, i wouldn't feel totally respected until he EXPECTED me to do half those things.
Sithius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes. They should provide sex on the spot too.
stoney
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mata)
Put it this way:

well said, i'll take this as my philosophy from now on: when we marry we share equally if she isnt pulling her weight then i'm gone. there were some really good points made in your post there Mata!
Trangulor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
surely a true symbiosis would require both parties to do different things, to maximise efficiency. if that means the higher earner (whoever that is) working long hours whilst the other looks after the home and children, then so be it. or perhaps the person who enjoys their job more would be the main source of income, with the other doing some part time work.

i don't think men and women can ever be treated equally (the genders are different in many ways), but i do think that fair treatment is possible. women will tend to have higher standards of tidiness than men (in my experience), which would quite fairly mean the woman doing more of the cleaning. of course, if the man had the higher standards, then he should be the one to do more of the cleaning.

i do think that if someone has been at work all day earning money, then they should be able to come home without having to do half the housework too, unless the other person has been at work all day too.
Amnesia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yes, I am also going to adopt this philosophy in the future. If my potential wife does not earn the same as me or do at least half the amount of traditional male jobs, then I am going to leave her straight away.
stoney
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Amnesia)
Yes, I am also going to adopt this philosophy in the future. If my potential wife does not earn the same as me or do at least half the amount of traditional male jobs, then I am going to leave her straight away. :rolleyes:
well maybe a bit of communication/stern words first lol i guess i did sound like i was implying a knee jerk reaction there
demonbuttercup
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't mind staying at home as long as my husband was rich and would be able to keep me in the style I am accustomed to! :p:

I like cooking
Amnesia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stoney)
well maybe a bit of communication/stern words first lol i guess i did sound like i was implying a knee jerk reaction there
I wasn't criticising your post! I was trying to show the hypocrisy of the orginal post by Mata. I just find it hypocritical that she said she expected the man to bring in as much money as she did otherwise she would leave him. I found that amusing considering men still bring far more money into marraiges than women. And there are still women who stay at home and don't bring any money in. Maybe the men should adopt this policy and walk out on women when they don't do their share of the earning or their share of the traditional manly jobs.
halfoflessthan50p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
why do people see looking after kids as a bad thing and working as a good thing? Id wanna spend as much time with my kids as i could, its not a chore.

I guess it would be hard at times but its gonna be more rewarding in the end than a job. Theres so many 'new-age fathers' these days. I think mens attitude to parenting is changing
stoney
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wasn't criticising your post! I was trying to show the hypocrisy of the orginal post by Mata. I just find it hypocritical that she said she expected the man to bring in as much money as she did otherwise she would leave him. I found that amusing considering men still bring more money into marraiges than women. Maybe the men should adopt this policy and walk out on women when they don't do their share of the earning or their share of the traditional manly jobs.
oh fair enough lol. yeah thats a fair point, i mean its like you were being kicked in the teeth for not doing so well at work (like you wouldnt be under enough pressure from your boss without worrying about family life collapsing) we should be able to rely on each other for mutual support perhaps my hasty support of Mata's assertion was under thought.
Mata
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wasn't criticising your post! I was trying to show the hypocrisy of the orginal post by Mata. I just find it hypocritical that she said she expected the man to bring in as much money as she did otherwise she would leave him. I found that amusing considering men still bring more money into marraiges than women. Maybe the men should adopt this policy and walk out on women when they don't do their share of the earning or their share of the traditional manly jobs.
Ahem. My post is hypocritical?

I don't find it hypocritical to expect a man to pay his way. I'm not being a pedant over every exact penny that he puts into the family home, and I am not denying my future husband his right to use portions of his money as he wishes. But if we are buying something for the good of our home, marriage, children, etc, then I would expect him to pay his share.

I would not leave a man who only earned 20k per year if I earned 30k per year. I would leave a man who refused to get a job to help support our family, who constantly wasted money in a way that was detrimental to our family, or who expected me to pay for the bulk of the things which I couldn't afford without his input (e.g. family holidays, a new car etc). And of course, I am not saying that it is purely the right of the woman to walk out on a man who does this. Men have the right to leave a woman if she does not do her share of the work.

To reiterate: I'm not quibbling over how much we earn, I'm arguing that the way we use what we earn should be fair, and in the interests of a good marriage. A man who earns less/is awful at washing up/can't really change a nappy isn't a bad husband. A man who deliberately keeps much-needed money from the family, refuses to do any household jobs and does not participate in childcare is a bad husband. Just as a woman who does those things is a bad wife.

My original post may have been unclear; for that I am sorry.
stoney
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
why do people see looking after kids as a bad thing and working as a good thing? Id wanna spend as much time with my kids as i could, its not a chore.

I guess it would be hard at times but its gonna be more rewarding in the end than a job. Theres so many 'new-age fathers' these days. I think mens attitude to parenting is changing
yeah i dont quite understand this either, i'd want to spend as much time as possible with my kids too, also work isnt just fun and games it is what is says on the tin: work! lol people talk as though its the most enjoyable thing going or something (although i spose what they're mainly getting at is the independence factor which is important)
zain88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wasn't criticising your post! I was trying to show the hypocrisy of the orginal post by Mata. I just find it hypocritical that she said she expected the man to bring in as much money as she did otherwise she would leave him. I found that amusing considering men still bring far more money into marraiges than women. And there are still women who stay at home and don't bring any money in. Maybe the men should adopt this policy and walk out on women when they don't do their share of the earning or their share of the traditional manly jobs.

and i think they definitely should!! look at my post above about doing equal shares of DIY etc. if we are to strive for equality it should go both ways. i would think it disrespectful if my partner thought i shouldn't/couldn't do "manly" jobs. i can fix a car as good as any 17 year old guy. (my dad owns a garage, which helps because i work with him in summer )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed