Driving after a drink Watch

foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dantanion)
I think the legal limit is 35 units. That, for the average person is around 2 pints. But, if you are small for example or have a low tolerance of alcohol then it will of course be absorbed into your blood quicker. And this is obviously where the units are measured..

So for one person 3 or 4 pints may well be enough and because they are used to the alcohol intake they may get away with it. But for a small person who doesn't often drink 1 pint may well make up those 35 units and cause them to be 'over the limit'.

Depends on whether you can handle your beer I guess. I suspect you all know your tolerances and how far you can go. But I wouldn't recommend pushing it. Not eating for example means that the alcohol is absorbed into the blood quicker and more strongly because of the lack of other 'matter' in the stomach to prevent this.

There are alot of factors.. you can work out your own capacities.
35 units, rofl. The paramedics would be scraping your brains off the dashboard.

A unit is a form of measuring alcohol; not the affect it has on people. A unit of alcohol is a 25ml measure of 80-proof spirit or a half pint (excluding Stella and other such rocket fuel). It's legal to drive after drinking 2 units, which certainly shouldn't intoxicate even the lightest of lightweights. A breathaliser catches out someone who has drunk around 3 units of alcohol and if caught they will more than likely be prosecuted. It has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to cope with the alcohol.
FeedTheGoat
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
35 units, rofl. The paramedics would be scraping your brains off the dashboard.

A unit is a form of measuring alcohol; not the affect it has on people. A unit of alcohol is a 25ml measure of 80-proof spirit or a half pint (excluding Stella and other such rocket fuel). It's legal to drive after drinking 2 units, which certainly shouldn't intoxicate even the lightest of lightweights. A breathaliser catches out someone who has drunk around 3 units of alcohol and if caught they will more than likely be prosecuted. It has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to cope with the alcohol.
LoL I'm back tracking now and now say that I meant 35 units as an example. I'm not sure the exact amount.. but the stuff on absorbing the stuff into your blood is right..

It is impossible to state categorically how many units you can consume before exceeding the BAC legal limit, as the speed that alcohol enters your blood stream will vary radically if you are having a drink on an empty stomach, or drinking with food over a prolonged period. Tiredness will also affect your concentration and absorption. The only safe advice is to nominate a non drinking driver for the evening or to arrange to get home by taxi or public transport. See toptips for more information.

On average your body will break down one unit of alcohol per hour, and each unit will increase your BAC by 20mg (up to 30mg for women). The UK BAC limit is 80mg per 100ml blood, allowing you to drink a pint to a pint and a half of beer, or one glass of wine at 13% without exceeding the drink-drive limit.
So my exact figures were way off but the gist of it was right.. ie the amounts and stuff.

I googled it after I realised my units given we radically wrong.. but the amount you're allowed to drink was right..
http://www.drinkingandyou.com/site/uk/drive.htm

^ Everything on that site...
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe... "drinking and you".
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Indeed... or plugging in hands-free kits.
El Scotto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by random_bloke)
Hi

Is it OK to drive after 1 pint?

It's just that i work in a bar...and like to have a pint after work with the other staff but then i have to drive home.

I did it the other day and I was absolutely fine.....would most people find this acceptable? I'm pretty sure I'd still be under the limit.

When I used to work in a nightclub, I used to have maybe 2 pints but I used to have 2 pints of water afterwards... I used to get breatalised at least 3or4 times a week for driving home late... never had any problems.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm amazed how lax the cops are here - no booze buses, no anti-drink driving adverts which TELL you how much the legal limit is, what that means for a man, woman in terms of standard drinks. I've never been breathoed before, let alone seen the police actually conducting breathos here. Why is that?

I know if I have 2 pints of medium strength lager then I am under the limit. Just. Any more and I am over and will not get in my car. The limit here is 0.08% BAC whereas in Australia it's 0.05% BAC which means I can only really have a pint there, or a stubbie.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's never worth it...

Imagine hitting someone even if you had *just* had 1 pint...

Also alchol affects you in a different way each time you drink - how many of us have been able to drink the best part of a bottle of wine one night and feel stone cold sober, and yet feel wasted and unsteady after one pint on another...

If you want to drive, don't drink. Simple.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tw!stEd)
I know someone who got banned for a year after one pint of stella sent him over the limit...
Exactly - when I used to work behind a bar, I knew someone who would down 5 pints and tell everyone that with his metabolism he was fine!!!! I confiscated his keys on more than one occasion. The one time I failed to get to them on time, a colleague called the police and they picked him up down the road. A nice guy, but a bit of a ****!

How quickly the alcohol makes it to your blood stream depends upon so many things, including what you've eaten (obvious) and how stressed you are - stress hormones speed everything up and you can go over the limit on an amount of alcohol that you can usually tollerate easily (not so obvious)...
KinkayGema
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Berty_g)
I wouldn't drink and drink voluntarily

I guess, unlike some people, i have the willpower to not have a pint if i know i'm going to drink. If i really had to have a drink, i would have a half
lol, can your computer not type the word drive??
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LibertineNorth)
Almost the same situation. I used to drive a very quiet country road home from the pub most nights. Never met a car on it. Until one night a police car was parked in one of the passing places... pulled me over, breathalysed, mercifully had only had one or two bottles since I was getting up early and driving to work (ie, on proper roads) the next day - and as such passed. But scared the **** out of me nevertheless and I avoid it altogether now. Oh, not to mention a friend ploughed her car into her garage door once after getting quite thoroughly plastered and doing it.

So yes, bad habit to get into. Strictly speaking though, one pint is probably legal if you don't hit the stronger beers.
Yeah lets be scared of being caught, not killing somebody?
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
Yeah lets be scared of being caught, not killing somebody?
If you were really scared of killing someone, you wouldn't be thrashing a machine with the mass of at least a tonne around at speeds of up to 70mph. Accidents happen when the driver isn't drunk, too, and as has been said, radios and mobiles are a huge distraction too. So's smoking, frankly.
mademoiselle84
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
in my opinion, drinking before driving is entirely irresponsible no matter how much you drink. you don't know how it's going to affect you, usually even one pint can make me feel a bit slower. you can't argue that after one pint your reactions will be slightly slower, especially if you are tired and hungry after a long shift at work.
what is the point? how would you feel if your sister or mother got killed by someone who's just had one or two pints? never mind losing our licence if you got caught.
when i drive, i won't even go near alcohol, ever. anything less than that is sheer stupidity and ignorance.
random_bloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by mademoiselle84)
in my opinion, drinking before driving is entirely irresponsible no matter how much you drink. you don't know how it's going to affect you, usually even one pint can make me feel a bit slower. you can't argue that after one pint your reactions will be slightly slower, especially if you are tired and hungry after a long shift at work.
what is the point? how would you feel if your sister or mother got killed by someone who's just had one or two pints? never mind losing our licence if you got caught.
when i drive, i won't even go near alcohol, ever. anything less than that is sheer stupidity and ignorance.
both extreme and simplistic.

you don't know how it's going to affect you
one pint does not affect me at all.

how would you feel if your sister or mother got killed by someone who's just had one or two pints
after one pint it could not be attributed to the alcohol.

never mind losing our licence if you got caught.
how would you lose your license??? it's legal to have a pint...i'd still be under the limit.
ciderpeter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I used to drive after one pint, but having seen various people who frequent the pub where i work, fall victim to drink driving/drink drivers, i have realised it isnt worth it...

I regularly get followed home from work by the police and have been pulled over once, just because i was seen leaving a pub (where i was working) late at night - so it is a good job i didnt have a drink....
ladyportacabin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you MUST have a pint go for a weak one, or get a lager top. You should leave a bit of a gap between the drink and the drive too.

You can buy little breathalyser keyrings which measure how much alcohol is in your breath, but i'd say be safe and don't have the pint. Only because if you did have an accident, you would be forever wondering if that pint caused it and would probably feel guilty for it.
Darth Excluder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
drink driving is ok if you can hold your drink.
itsa time for the stink time for the breeze thime for the aaaawwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eh.
.:fluff:.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1 pint would be legally ok but I'd just leave it if i were you. I'v known 2 or 3 people lose their license due to drink driving and it's just not worth it. But as someone has said it depends on whats in the pint, stay away from Stella and stick to weaker stuff. But it can depend on alot of things, how much you've had to eat, how tierd you are etc...

lol that reminds me of the other week when my stupid sister went driving around in her car for 'fun' and she was completely smashed.
stupid isnt the word. She needs her license taking off her the dizzy *****
Darth Excluder
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ha ha ha ha ... dizzy...
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I will drive after a pint and a bottle but thats it, i stop there! My mate on the other hand drives after 8 or 9 pints and is quite visibly drunk...i wont get in a car with him now...he hit and killed a badger when he was drunk the other week, it could of been a person...
random_bloke
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
he hit and killed a badger
that can easily be done when sober though to be honest.

I have killed many animals on the road.....and i may get shouted at for this....but i don't brake for them usually.

You could kill yourself or someone else if you swerve to avoid an animal when your driving at speed. unfortunately the only sensible thing to do is drive over them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads