Driving after a drink Watch

KinkayGema
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I hate drink drivers. I honestly beleive any drink driver that caught should have their license taken off them for a long time and a huge fine. Maybe people will think twice about driving after drinking. I've seen the consequences of drink driving and it's not nice! So please people- have a coke instead!!
.:fluff:.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My mate on the other hand drives after 8 or 9 pints and is quite visibly drunk...i wont get in a car with him now...he hit and killed a badger when he was drunk the other week, it could of been a person...
Report him. yes he'll be pissed off at you for doing it but would you rather he got banned from driving or that the idiot drives drunk and ends up killing himself or some innocent people in an on coming car? :rolleyes:
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did tests and I found that my co-ordination was affected after 1 pint so I would never ever drink drive. It is not worth it, even if I was legal.

A split second in judgement time can be the difference of a 5 year olds life.
-mb-
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not exactly difficult to enjoy one pint of beer or so, and then drive, unless you're so anti-social that you only spend about an hour in the pub!

Just have a pint when you arrive, maybe a pint and a half if you like; take your time and savour them, then hit the cokes and water. Then when you drive home, you're well hydrated, and your liver's had time to break down most of the alcohol in the two hours after you stopped drinking.
mc_hamster
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like the fact that people think they have to drink to have a good time. I don't drink if I have to drive, I just drink a coke and I still have a good time.

Like someone said earlier, if you want to drink don't drive.
KinkayGema
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Theres no difference in drinking a coke and a pint really. If your insisting that 1 pint doesn't affect you then why drink it? The only difference between drinking a pint and a coke is the taste. Unless you honestly can't live without tasting that pint after work (which I'm sure none of you are in this situation!) then just drink coke- PLEASE!!
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Rubbish, as has previously been discussed on this thread.
1-pint can get you a ban, simple. Its all about how your metabolism works.

If you do want to go out and have a drink and drive home, I reccommend one of these:

Basically your own breathalyzer, whereby you can test whether you are over the limit.
KinkayGema
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with you! I've said before that I think one drink impairs (sp?) your driving but there are people insisting that it doesn't so that post is for them really.
Lofty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think its fair to say really old people are sometimes more dangerous drivers than people drunk anyway!
KinkayGema
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my grannys 85 and shes never had an accident. Old people tend to drive slow and are careful, drunk people go fast and act like *******s
Lofty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A large amount of Old people also have incredibly slow reactions, a kid could still run out in front of them! You don't have to be drunk for that to happen.

And a lot of them seem incapable of using roundabouts, sit there looking left, and then just go, with no idea whats actually coming around the roundabout!
KinkayGema
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a kid could run out in front of anybody! Drunk, sober, old, young, boy, girl- if somebody isn't concentrating then BANG!
OBScene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KinkayGema)
my grannys 85 and shes never had an accident. Old people tend to drive slow and are careful, drunk people go fast and act like *******s
Actually, drunk people usually drive a lot slower because they are aware that they're drunk. And my granny would be very offended if you told her all old people drive slowly!

Here's my POV: I'm more than happy to have a pint with some mates and then drive? Why? Because I know that loads of stuff can affect your driving, and 1 pint hardly affects it - if anything, you're more careful because you know you've had a drink. Tiredness has a much worse affect on my driving, but I still have to drive because it's part of my job to do it. That said, I wouldn't drink when I was tired... crazy combination!
KinkayGema
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I sadi they tend to drive slower, obviously not all old people do. Yes lots of stuff affect your driving but I honestly believe that drinking even one pint is one of them! AT82 had tests done and found one pint affected their co-ordination. Do you have any proof that one pint doesn't affect your driving? In the recent drink driving ad it specifically says 'Even one drink impairs your driving'
OBScene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KinkayGema)
I sadi they tend to drive slower, obviously not all old people do. Yes lots of stuff affect your driving but I honestly believe that drinking even one pint is one of them! AT82 had tests done and found one pint affected their co-ordination. Do you have any proof that one pint doesn't affect your driving? In the recent drink driving ad it specifically says 'Even one drink impairs your driving'
Obviously any alcohol impairs your driving, adding to your reaction times, however, if you're driving 10mph slower anyway then your stopping distances will probably be a little shorter if anything. However, as I said, loads of people drive after a bad nights sleep, however, according to Stanford Uni, "in a test of reaction times, people who were tired because of disrupted sleep performed about as poorly as subjects who were legally drunk, the researchers report".

Obviously I'm not defending anyone who drives after several drinks, that's just foolish, but tiredness, unfamiliarity with the car and loads of other factors affect your driving as much or more so than alcohol. Remember, Chernobyl and the grounding of the oil tanker Exxon Valdez were all caused by tiredness!
Friggerpants
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LibertineNorth)
Err... mate, 35 units is roughly a litre of vodka.

A pint is more like 1-1.5 UK Units.

Actually, around 2 - 2.5
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the the OP.. i dont think you should drink in that situation; when i was working in a bar, i was knackered at the end of the night anyway. adding alcohol is not a good idea (even if it is just one pint!).

in general though, it depends on the circumstances. if youre out with your mates in the evening, then a pint at the start then soft drinks for the rest of the night probably wont affect you. probably.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Friggerpants)
Actually, around 2 - 2.5
Actually, depends on whether your drinking piss water or wife beater
mark1010
Report 12 years ago
As people have said, it really depends on you. I know guys who can drink 5 pints and still act like they are perfectly sober (they don't drive though), yet i know guys who will have a pint and from that are obviously well on the way to being drunk.

1 pint = ok? Balls to that, you can't compute your limit

Mark
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wife beaters could get the majority over the limit with 5.2%?? volume. Its so bitter. But then as those wa*ky pubs and bars keep watering down beer, we could all soon have about 3 pints before being over the limit :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.71%
No (587)
72.29%

Watched Threads